What is your ideal calibre?

Frenchieboy

If given the choice i would go for a .30, you can load .224 bullets with the use of a sabot, and from 100grn rite up to 220grn for anything you fancy in .30cal :good: I dont think there is another cal you can do that with :good:

One of the most versatile has to be 6.5x55... Supremely accurate (even out to staggering distances... 1000yds!) abilitsy to use bullets weighing from <70gn to >160, very mild recoil and the ability to drop anything on these isles!

If I had to keep just one calibre that would be it!

If I could only keep 1 rifle however, that would probably be my TRG which is a .308

9.3X62, very mild recoiling and enough power to cleanly take any game animal that I'm likely to hunt.

I have used it to take bunnies, hares, foxes, cats, goats, pigs and deer. It takes game cleanly with impressive penetration and knock down power without being excessive in meat destruction.

With any luck I will have a buff on the deck with it by Christmas.

For me i think it would have to be .308. It will cope with about anything that you are likely to hunt certainly in this country and any where else for that matter. To me its an "allround rifle" if there is such a thing. More suited to the job of effectively and humanely taking some of the bigger species you are likely to encounter such as Red Stags and Wild boar in particular. Interesting post as well by the way :good: .

ATB Pat

.222, easy and cheap to reload and will drop all deer in the UK as well as fox and crows.

Tin hat on and awaits battle :o :yp:

And I should think so too! So are you suggesting.... No, I'll not go there! :yp: :lol:

My personal choice would be the 6.5x55. It does everything H's tripple will do but legally! Every day I wonder if selling mine was the right move? .243 is great and all that, but it's not a 6.5 and I can see it turning into a .260 in the not too distant future!

And I should think so too! So are you suggesting.... No, I'll not go there! :yp: :lol:

My personal choice would be the 6.5x55. It does everything H's tripple will do but legally! Every day I wonder if selling mine was the right move? .243 is great and all that, but it's not a 6.5 and I can see it turning into a .260 in the not too distant future!

...........and that is why I have the other great cf calibre, 6.5x55 :P