Scope recomendations

Daveo26

Iv just picked up my CZ452 in .22 lr and its got a big daft scope on it, something like a 6.5-20x50 Hawke jobbie.

I want to replace it with something sensible like a nice 3-9x40 or something around that.

I will be shooting rabbits out to 60-70 yards.

Any suggestions? what are you guys using?

Many thank you's Daveo.

Iv just picked up my CZ452 in .22 lr and its got a big daft scope on it, something like a 6.5-20x50 Hawke jobbie.

I want to replace it with something sensible like a nice 3-9x40 or something around that.

I will be shooting rabbits out to 60-70 yards.

Any suggestions? what are you guys using?

Many thank you's Daveo.

Hi Dave i am just waiting for mine as we speak i have bought a simmons pro sport 3-9x40 ramsbottoms doing them for £29.99

at the moment reduced by a tenner :good: or their doing mildot leapers same price :good:

Leupold 3-9x50 VX-1

I had a HAWKE on mine and the accuracy was ****, the scope would never hold its zero and was **** in low light condidtions, i wouldnt go near those HAWKE pices of ****. Got the Leupold and never looked bacl, got 0.1/4 inch groups at 60 yards no problem.

Had good results from 3.5-10x50 Whitetail Classic & 3-9x50 Tasco AG but have settled with Meopta 6x42 with 4a reticle.I find this together with rangefinder good to 100yds or so,good field of view,no faffing with parallax,fine reticle with extra aim points & good in low light.Tried 4-16x50 but didn't suit me:strange as others seem to find more mag better.Meopta fine crosshair not so good with lamp,I found the Whitetail Classic easier to see.

Scopes are very personal and we all have a view, it's a .22lr, you don't need to spend a fortune or get massive magnification, but many like to do either, or both.

This was a Hawke Varmint II 3-12 x 44 at 60 yards with about the worst .22lr ammo going if you believe popular opinion. 17.4.2011.

post-20848-0-11192000-1303332919.jpg

Leupold 3-9x50 VX-1

I had a HAWKE on mine and the accuracy was ****, the scope would never hold its zero and was **** in low light condidtions, i wouldnt go near those HAWKE pices of ****. Got the Leupold and never looked bacl, got 0.1/4 inch groups at 60 yards no problem.

Obviously a Leopold is gonna be better in low light conditions than a Hawke. I had a Hawke Nite-eye 3-9x50 IR on my .22lr for the best part of 6 months and it never lost it's zero once (including one time when I fell heavily on top of the scope). I have now got a Simmons Aetec on top of the .22lr as I got it at a good price on the bay.

If you are on a budget you won't go wrong with a Hawke, as they are cheap and in my experience good value for money. If your pockets are a bit deeper you may decide to go for something like S&B 6x42 as the glass is much better and far better clarity under lamp and low light conditions.

Blimey..... Cheers gents.

Lots of replies to mull over. Just at the minute the big names such as S&B and leupold are out of my budget for my Desmond.

Im not after cheap and cheerful but but not after nightforce tackle either :lol:

I was thinking £100-150. Ill go and have a look through some at the gun shop.

Thanks again chaps.

Whats opticswarehouse like for prices ect?

Edited by Daveo26

Excuse my 'newbie' ignorance but is overscoping a bad thing. If you have a x20 scope it dosnt mean you have to use x20 - or am i missing something?

In mu case its a 6.5-20x50 scope so even on its lowest setting its still pretty high mag. :yes: and its bloody massive and weighs afair bit

In mu case its a 6.5-20x50 scope so even on its lowest setting its still pretty high mag. :yes: and its bloody massive and weighs afair bit

:yes::yes::good::good:

As I have said many a time when people ask of scopes, it is FAR to personal to make a concrete suggestion.

I know those that use 26-28-30x on a 12 ft lb air rifle, and a year or two back now a pal of mine was on the 200 yard at Bisley next to me (we were both using our .243) I was on 6x and he was on 24x.

I favour lower mag, and commonly use 6x on air rifle through to centrefires out to 200 yards, sometimes moving up to 8x at that, or slightly further.

6.5x starting on a .22lr as mentioned here is far to much for ME but some may like it, 3-12 or 4-16 on a .22lr will be the norm....but like I say, what is the norm?! :hmm::good:

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

Right after looking at and through a pile of scopes, I made my choice.

I got talking to one of the lads in the shop who has just put a new scope on his rimmy.

He suggested i look at the Hawke enduance 3-10x44 which has the map8 ret allegedly designed for rimfires using subs :lol:

Im not taking in by the hype but it looks reasonable and its basic which is a good thing in my eyes.

In the info with it it says, zero'ed at 75yrds the map 8 offers aim points in 25yrd increments out to 225yrds :lol: With subs?? with a .22 lr??? :no::lol:

So gone is the big target scope with its I/R and A/O and in its place is something with alot less to fiddle with :lol:

Cheers for the advice lads I knew glass is a personal thing but your opinions relly helped :good: