Is it just me (seems so). I find Gamebore's clear pigeon cartridge (the old white ones) 30g no6 fibre seem to really kill on the shoulder???? My gun weights 7lbs 9oz It’s the Silver pigeon 1, game 28" barrels. I'm very well built, just over 14 stone and 15% body fat and yet I know skinny light people that shoot this cartridge in 32g every day through a light, 25” SBS happily?!?! Are some people just more susceptible to recoil? is my gun light? or am I being a pussy? I think it could be I’m use to shooting clays and I always use 28g 7.5 shot of Hull Comp X. Any Ideas? Sensible ones welcome. Also I've been told by a few different people my gun fits me so I don't think it's that. Many thanks in advance!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Geltek pad fitted to my Silver pigeon 4. I don't notice recoil too much, regardless of what shell i use. If i've fired 2-300 shots at pigeons i sometimes feel it a little in my cheek afterwards.

Edited by motty

tough one to comment on, shouldn.t really be a problem,your not a small guy by any stretch, i,m only 13 stone but shot 12g since 12 years old and was approx 9 stone at the time,so either use a semi auto or low recoiling cartridges.

Edited by yickdaz

Thanks for the many replies! I'd like to think my gun mount is consistent, I often practice dry mounting it - not just straight up but Swing and mounting too. Also mounting to a point or along a rail etc... It has a recoil pad fitted but I will try getting a gel tec one then if that still doesn't work I will get a Reactor pads. The reason I'm hesitant to get one is that I don't want to change the LOP :\.

Edited by Beretta Italy

Man up you big girl I shoot 32g 6's and 5's all day you can send it to me Tom and I will take the pain untill you build up or grow a set. (LOL)

If its that bad and it hurts to much their has to be somthing wrong with your gun mount or stance somthing like that

Man up you big girl I shoot 32g 6's and 5's all day you can send it to me Tom and I will take the pain untill you build up or grow a set. (LOL)

If its that bad and it hurts to much their has to be somthing wrong with your gun mount or stance somthing like that

get off my gun man!! you semi, rab and dan want it!! lol

its staying on MY cert lol.

simple answer if you are that well built and its knocking you about you are holding it wrongly, no iffs or buts or but I practice in my bedroom in front of the mirror every night its simple its not in your shoulder properly when you pull the trigger.

Poor gun mount? Bad stance?

:stupid:

Biggest mistake people make when I'm watching at the clay ground is that they mount the gun like a rifle and their stance is rifle-ish too.. i.e. right foot a good foot to 2 behind left foot (if you are a righty.) That actually pulls your torso round slightly so the butt doesn't fit in the 'pocket' in your shoulder.

Not only does this then hurt and quite often cause bruising it also drastically limits upper body rotation and range of motion.

I was guilty of this (brought up on rifles) until last year when the CPSA coach (and numerous times GB Team menber) at my local ground put me right... now, no more pain or discomfort, far more range of motion, easier/better target tracking which all in turn equal more clays or birds hit :good:

Edited by Vipa

Evening All,

My guess would be that the pitch on your gun may be wrong for you. It often is for bigger lads and ladies as our shoulders are fuller than average. I should explain that pitch is the angle of the butt of your gun in relation to the comb. This is basically measured by the length of pull at the heel and the toe or measured in degrees against the angle of the comb.

A fuller chest requires less length at toe and vice versa. It's a measurement that alot of people ignore but it may be worth while speaking to a good gun fitter.

Hope this helps

WR.

White Rabbit - a very good point.

My youngest was suffering from recoil. He is 16.5 stone - no excess weight - but broke his collarbone at motocross. I got him a Reactar pad to put in his Skeet vest, but I also changed the stock on the Blaser for a trap stock with the angle of the butt more in keeping with where it fits. Previous Sporter stock made contact at the bottom of the stock well before the rest.

The butt is normally at 90 degrees to the comb - the new stock is more like 80 degrees.

Edited by Gordon R

its odd i used to shoot 42gram 4s at every thing, thrue an old sbs game gun and i never felt any recoil but with starlight 32s and clear pigs thru the same gun their was enugh to notice it!

just get a hatsan and be done with it! (ime now a hatstand fan as ime geiing a 8 shot one :D )

Can you video the response Beretta its going to be a classic mix of confusion and are you for real :oops:

It'll be something along the lines of

BI:- There is something wrong with my weapon

GS:- Oh really whats it doing

BI:- It recoils

GS:- Is that when you pull the trigger?

BI:- Ah thats it thats exactly when it does it.

GS:- They usually do :rolleyes: