Fly Fishing

Lord Geordie

Right Chaps!

After years of differing types of Fishing, ie: Coarse / Game (Pike Zander etc) / Boat / Beach / Pier / River and Trout etc all with standard rod and reels, I have finally conceeded to eventually try FLY fishing!

I have never tried in the past and feel it's something I have been missing out on, and recently was given an old 1960s fibre glass fly rod which was the final push.

Is there anywhere one can purchase some quite obscenely cheap even Second hand kit from?

Rods Reels etc?

I would like to seriously throw myself into the whole Creel, net, rod n reel scenario but with work being tight at the mo it simply has to be cheap. If one knows of a spiffing site which may cater such a request that would be marvelous.

I took a browse on the bay of biscay website, (wink wink) and they had some nice Greys and Hardy equipment but one would suffer a Heart attack or at least massive palputations at having to pay the prices of said equipment

Also some Tips on Fly choice and line types etc would be really useful and greatly appreciated.

I intend to practise the casting technique on the field (without hooks of course) to get the hang of the flick required to get the fly to regularly drop where one would want it to go.

As I have mentioned this will be a new venture for Myself and there are plentiful trout lakes one to frequent once one is suitably tackled up and clued up so if there is anything you guys can teach me that would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Cheap starter kits offered by many places are good enough to get you going.

I know you are after cheap but I will still say an hour or so coaching at whatever local trout lake/pond is very much worthwhile. Being taught the casting technique from the very start is a valuable lesson.

I know you are after cheap but I will still say an hour or so coaching at whatever local trout lake/pond is very much worthwhile. Being taught the casting technique from the very start is a valuable lesson.

As I say I have an old fly rod and just found a reel for £6 to make a start and see how it goes. There are some trout lakes near to me I wish to try so I guess a few tips on Casting would be ideal.

Thanks for that

:Dcasting is 90% of fly fishing beond all doubt

then its flys and retrive rate/depth

best thing to do is get a guid to show you the score use his rod if you like it and thing you can get on with it buy as good a rod as you think you need remember you get what you pay for would you try and shoot a 1000trd match with a old parker hale .270? nope

that said my rod the one i use all the time is a old and **** sloppy leeda that ive had 18lb salmon on 2 lb garyling 6lb wild browns and seatrout sea bass pollock pike perch and carp that was only 15£ 11 year back!

flys is a choice for you to make look in the fishing mags for hints tips or get t c ivans book in fly fishing its like the bible on still water fishing

i have 1000s of flies all made by me salmon sea trout pike trout but for trout i almost always use

a black and peacock spider

a cats whisker

a black klink hammer

phesant tail nyph

and thats about it

salmon flys are willy gunn and stoats tail maybe a allys shrimp

sea trout teal blue and silver,staoats tail/silver stoat and medicien fly (ive got 15 that hue falkles made for me long time back:D )

but you cant go rong with a greys rod cheap (rod real and line £130 ish?) and very good and a fly selection from a shop (150 flies for £20 with box!)

all the best

ohh and you will need mige repellent

:Dcasting is 90% of fly fishing beond all doubt

then its flys and retrive rate/depth

best thing to do is get a guid to show you the score use his rod if you like it and thing you can get on with it buy as good a rod as you think you need remember you get what you pay for would you try and shoot a 1000trd match with a old parker hale .270? nope

that said my rod the one i use all the time is a old and **** sloppy leeda that ive had 18lb salmon on 2 lb garyling 6lb wild browns and seatrout sea bass pollock pike perch and carp that was only 15£ 11 year back!

flys is a choice for you to make look in the fishing mags for hints tips or get t c ivans book in fly fishing its like the bible on still water fishing

i have 1000s of flies all made by me salmon sea trout pike trout but for trout i almost always use

a black and peacock spider

a cats whisker

a black klink hammer

phesant tail nyph

and thats about it

salmon flys are willy gunn and stoats tail maybe a allys shrimp

sea trout teal blue and silver,staoats tail/silver stoat and medicien fly (ive got 15 that hue falkles made for me long time back:D )

but you cant go rong with a greys rod cheap (rod real and line £130 ish?) and very good and a fly selection from a shop (150 flies for £20 with box!)

all the best

ohh and you will need mige repellent

The cheap analogy both makes sense and does not! :blush:

Just because it costs more there is no guarantee it will be better! For instance I entered a clay shooting competition and the day before the shoot my gun dropped a firing pin and I ended up using a Baikal O/U cast for a lefty and STILL made 6th :good:

I would LOVE a greys set up but as things are there is no way I will be able to afford one for a long time as I have a house to run and a Kid to feed hence trying to find a source of cheap gear for the time being.

I Also know where your coming from with the Midge repellent :oops: I was in Kielder last week trout fishing and was HAMMERED by the blighters. I still itch now :lol:

I have been looking into Flies also there are a lot of different flies to choose from but the ones that would seem to make sense to me would be the Maggot ones and the likes of the Knatt and Daddy long legs types but who knows I could even fisah all day without a bite :lol: :lol:

I remember fishing for Grayling many moons ago using caddis fly larve and caught a nice one.

In Nottingham I found a small river stuffed wqith jack pike to about 7lb just under the surface that place would be fantastic to fly fish :/

Sadly I live in the far flung north :oops:

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) - i have fished since a child, and mainly for pike since my teens, but have recently really fancied having a crack at fly fishing. I blame an article in the BASC magazine a early this year, it was a very good guide to beginners trout fishing. If you have not seen it - i can try and scan a copy and email it over if you like ?

ps - are you going to spill the beans (via pm if you like!) on that river in nottingam ? :good:

As already said John Norris of Penrith is worth a try. Also try sportfish as they always have some good deals on and eBay is worth a look.

The rod and the line should be where you focus your money. I always like snowbee lines as they are supple and really easy to cast however they're not the cheapest. Airflo lines don't have a great reputation and once you've cast with something else you'll never want to touch one again however you should be able to get a good deal on one over the internet. Also if you are starting out and practicing casting then your first line won't last very long.

You mention fishing local lakes so something like a 9' - 9' 6" long 6 or 7 weight should do. Sportfish have their own brand which can be cheap or Ron Thompson however I have found both difficult to get on with. I borrowed an abu recently and was impressed and don't think it cost a lot at all.

Flies wise on a still water you won't go far wrong with damsel, gold ribbed hares ear, diawl bach, pheasant tail nymph, klinkhamer and some caddis imitations.

Hope this helps

K

:stupid: Absolutely.

You're where I was a couple of years back. Always fancied it but could never afford it on top of all else. However, age has its advantages in the form of pensions and I was able to plan a 3 day course for me and my sons for a 65th "do". We could have done without all the rest and learned it as you go along, but the casting is different. If you can find a few bob for a lesson, you'll never regret it.

Final tip, if you are to practice but not on water, find an old line from somewhere (no problem for me, my town is known as the charity shop capital of the UK) otherwise the one you would hope to use for fishing will get ruined (frayed).

Tight lines

Right Chaps!

After years of differing types of Fishing, ie: Coarse / Game (Pike Zander etc) / Boat / Beach / Pier / River and Trout etc all with standard rod and reels, I have finally conceeded to eventually try FLY fishing!

I have never tried in the past and feel it's something I have been missing out on, and recently was given an old 1960s fibre glass fly rod which was the final push.

Is there anywhere one can purchase some quite obscenely cheap even Second hand kit from?

Rods Reels etc?

I would like to seriously throw myself into the whole Creel, net, rod n reel scenario but with work being tight at the mo it simply has to be cheap. If one knows of a spiffing site which may cater such a request that would be marvelous.

I took a browse on the bay of biscay website, (wink wink) and they had some nice Greys and Hardy equipment but one would suffer a Heart attack or at least massive palputations at having to pay the prices of said equipment

Also some Tips on Fly choice and line types etc would be really useful and greatly appreciated.

I intend to practise the casting technique on the field (without hooks of course) to get the hang of the flick required to get the fly to regularly drop where one would want it to go.

As I have mentioned this will be a new venture for Myself and there are plentiful trout lakes one to frequent once one is suitably tackled up and clued up so if there is anything you guys can teach me that would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Looking at this post and your signature it seems you are on the scrounge. If I were you I'd check the prices of day tickets at your local trout lakes before embarking on what will be a costly venture. No point spending money on tackle if you can't afford the extortionate day ticket prices.

Initial set up costs are small compared to most other pastimes.

Best Rods,reels etc are nice but not neccessary and distance casting is nice to do but not at all neccessary.Even on the bigger waters lots of fish are around the waters edge and I could fish all day within 20'-00" of the bank and catch fish.

Distance casting will come in time and with practice.

Most bad casts are as a result of trying to get 1 more yard in distance using a poor technique.

On any waters other more experienced anglers are more than willing to help you with your technique.I personally find it very hard not to offer help when watching a novice flogging away and obviously struggling.It has always been welcomed.

The biggest drawback is with day ticket costs and fuel.

If set up costs are considered a problem I strongly believe ongoing costs are a bigger problem.(As UK Poacher says.)

Edited by Good shot?

I started out with an outfit from the local shop and it cost £50 for that I got rod reel backing line floating line and some flies. That was six years ago and I still use it now just buy a few flies each time you got to the fishery and they soon add up. Good luck

Go to your local fishing shop and see if they have anything second hand out the back - Managed to get myself a complete trout set for just over 20 quid while away on holiday in Somerset earlier this year.

As far as brands go, Sportfish is a great choice or Glasgow Fishing Tackle (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html)and Shakespeare are still a surprisingly good budget choice and you can still get lods of old Leeda stuff for peanuts.

As far as casting goes, it's all about timing and economy of movement - It's all in the wrist and forearms and nothing to do with moving your hips!! Distance casting is one of those things like taking a 70 yard pigeon - You don't necessarliy need the distance, you need to get yourself nearer to the fish.

Oh and a pair of waders would also be a pretty good investment too!!

I would do what another memeber on here did, and see if there is someone local to you to show you the ropes.

My advice would be don't spend any money on any tackle until you have had a go, either with a free offer, or having a lesson from an instructor.

At that point you can decide on the weight (all important bit) of the outfit you will want for the venues and species you intend to fish at/for.

Looking at this post and your signature it seems you are on the scrounge. If I were you I'd check the prices of day tickets at your local trout lakes before embarking on what will be a costly venture. No point spending money on tackle if you can't afford the extortionate day ticket prices.

In my second post on this thread i mention i now have purchased a reel and i already had the rod so if i already have the basic equiptment how am i on the scrounge please?

I was simply asking people if they know of any CHEAP outlets or second hand dealers and some good pointers which i have received from the members who have contributed positively to this thread i at NO point asked for a freebie.

As for the signature it is for an old rusting sbs so i didnt want to spend a great deal on it hence ( cheap or free )!!!!!!

Also seeing as i went trout fishing at Kielder last week I already know how much the day permit cost and already know this is something I really want to do but simply just in another form of fishing.

You may wish to read 2+2 and come up with 6 thats your perogative but on this occasion you have it wrong.

At the end of the day the fish doe's not care how much the rod and reel cost its the fly that counts. I bought two rods and two reels off a work mate for twenty pounds, one of the lads i go fly fishing with has a 500£ sage rod and reel but he catches no more fish than me. What counts is whats on the end of the line!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is usually a connection put to fly fishig and game fish, but if you want really cheap fly fishing get yourself a small fly rod, 7 or 8ft, nice and handy with a cheap matched weight line. every time you go coarse fishing ( especially on a river) make up the rod, roach,rudd, dace and chubb will all take a fly . On pits, when rudd are dappling the surface a little gold Wichams Fancy. Believe me, you can great fun. As far as rods are concerned, there are millions of them lying in cupboards throughout the country, try some of the fishing forums, I,m sure you will be innundated with information. Enjoyable fly fishing does not need to mean great expence. LOTW

The cheap analogy both makes sense and does not! :blush:

Just because it costs more there is no guarantee it will be better! For instance I entered a clay shooting competition and the day before the shoot my gun dropped a firing pin and I ended up using a Baikal O/U cast for a lefty and STILL made 6th :good:

I would LOVE a greys set up but as things are there is no way I will be able to afford one for a long time as I have a house to run and a Kid to feed hence trying to find a source of cheap gear for the time being.

I Also know where your coming from with the Midge repellent :oops: I was in Kielder last week trout fishing and was HAMMERED by the blighters. I still itch now :lol:

I have been looking into Flies also there are a lot of different flies to choose from but the ones that would seem to make sense to me would be the Maggot ones and the likes of the Knatt and Daddy long legs types but who knows I could even fisah all day without a bite :lol: :lol:

I remember fishing for Grayling many moons ago using caddis fly larve and caught a nice one.

In Nottingham I found a small river stuffed wqith jack pike to about 7lb just under the surface that place would be fantastic to fly fish :/

Sadly I live in the far flung north :oops:

you can get very good cheap (5.99) mill end fly lines from robing norrises of penrith, ive got them on all my rods including my salmon rods

pm me your adress and ile send you some flys if you want they wont be good but ive had a clear out of my boxes and got a load for chucking if you want them and some newly tyed ones their their

Edited by highseas

you can get very good cheap (5.99) mill end fly lines from robing norrises of penrith, ive got them on all my rods including my salmon rods

pm me your adress and ile send you some flys if you want they wont be good but ive had a clear out of my boxes and got a load for chucking if you want them and some newly tyed ones their their

Thanks bud thats a nice offer :good:

I went online last night and bought a box with approx 100 various flies in it so I am slowly getting there now just have to sort out some backing some line and leaders etc :good: :good:

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) - i have fished since a child, and mainly for pike since my teens, but have recently really fancied having a crack at fly fishing. I blame an article in the BASC magazine a early this year, it was a very good guide to beginners trout fishing. If you have not seen it - i can try and scan a copy and email it over if you like ?

ps - are you going to spill the beans (via pm if you like!) on that river in nottingam ? :good:

That would be greatly appreciated! I will PM the email address

As for the River all I remember was I dropped my Car off in Nottingham to have a LPG conversion carried out (the cheapest place by far) and while it was in the guys garage I took a bus down the road and had a walk about and there was a small river approx 7 feet wide and 3 feet deep ran behind the factory units etc and it was STUFFED with jacks :huh:

I just remember I wished I had brought the rod and lures :yes: