Which Pump Action Shotgun?

Scrumbag

Hello folks,

Looking for a new Pump for wildfowling that might get a few days in the hide. Any recommendations?

I'm looking for something that will ideally chamber a 3.5" shell.

Leaning towards

Remington 887

Remington 870

Benelli SuperNova

All experience and comments much appreciated!

Cheers,

Scrummy

I have a mossberg a500 that I got new 32 years ago a quick bronze brush and a mop is all that is required I would hate to think of how many shots it has done. It has never been serviced once and is going strong.

Buy a mossberg you will not regret it and it has the safety on the top not on the side.

Remington is heavier than the Mossberg as the receiver is steel - the Mossy is very very tough, the Remington ultra tough. Both damn good guns! Bigger choice of Mossys though, plus you can customise them to your hearts content with some of the US catalogues.

All of the above have been outclassed by the Benelli Supernova which is now Americas number one selling pump action.

Sorry to be the one to have to say this, but the Winchester SXP is a Hatsan.

I use my Supenova in the pigeon hide with 65mm cartridges which it cycles faultlessly,as it does with the big 3.5" steel stuff for duck and geese on the foreshore.

The fact that almost all of it is made of plastic means that it is truly indestructible.

All of the other manufacturers produce an imitation of.....the Supernova, but none of them match it`s relative build quality.

Edited by mudpatten

Hello folks,

Looking for a new Pump for wildfowling that might get a few days in the hide. Any recommendations?

I'm looking for something that will ideally chamber a 3.5" shell.

Leaning towards

Remington 887

Remington 870

Benelli SuperNova

All experience and comments much appreciated!

Cheers,

Scrummy Hi mate i have remington express in 3 inch with laminated stock for the money the great guns paid 399 new they come in in 3.5 all so benellis are fine but over priced

Have to admit that the Benellis ain`t the cheapest of the bunch but it is worth doing some web searches for opinions on the quality of the various contenders.

The build quality of Remingtons has gone through the floor and many of their models are no longer built in the U.S, probably the main reason for the rise in popularity of the Benelli where the Italians have beaten the Yanks at their own game.

Older Remingtons are of unquestionable build quality, I used to own a custom stocked Wingmaster which was an absolute gem and I truly regret parting with it, but, if you read the reviews you`ll find people with new Remingtons which fall apart within weeks of purchase.

Do the build quality research...and then, like literally millions of Americans, buy a Benelli.

I have a Mossberg 500, and whilst it certainly is tough I'm not sure it's the best suited to wing-shooting birds that might be going right over you. On a couple of occasions when reloading with the muzzle high on a bird the new cartridge has fallen backwards so that the front of the cartridge is pointing towards the top of the chamber and the brass is down by the loading gate, and jammed the gun. This has never happened when reloading at lower angles, and only with 2 3/4" cartridges.

I can't see how this would be a fault with my particular gun, nothing is broken.

I have a Mossberg 500, and whilst it certainly is tough I'm not sure it's the best suited to wing-shooting birds that might be going right over you. On a couple of occasions when reloading with the muzzle high on a bird the new cartridge has fallen backwards so that the front of the cartridge is pointing towards the top of the chamber and the brass is down by the loading gate, and jammed the gun. This has never happened when reloading at lower angles, and only with 2 3/4" cartridges.

I can't see how this would be a fault with my particular gun, nothing is broken.

Had that happen on my old mossy 500A, found it to be very frustrating, having said that it did it rarely and i never had any problems with it, i customised it to the hilt :D

You should have killed it with first shot! :lol:

Two pumps stand out - Remmy 870 and Mossy 500. The beauty of the Mossy 500 range is the price and the fact that the safety catch is still located in the conventional position on the tang - at first that might not seem like a good selling point but it really is. Think about it - you are holding your gun - any gun - your left hand is holding the fore end (if you are r/handed that is) and your right hand fore finger is on the trigger guard and your thumb is naturally sitting on the tang. Dead easy easy to push the safety forwards and pull the trigger - it requires more movement and time (granted not a lot) to operate a safety catch on the trigger guard and then shoot. And as for Remmy 870 - well its a bloody good gun and what most other pumps are judged upon and more smoother but more expensive.

Thanks folks, all input is very welcome!

SA Shooter, thanks for the PM.

Hmmm, lots of choices to make. Will put my thinking cap on somemore. Keep the advice coming!

Now, if only Browning would import the BPS, that would be great!

Scrummy

Edited by Scrumbag

i bought a 3.5" remington 870 and was very disapointed with the finish on it. i bought it in the summer and shot a few rabbits before the season in september and the fore end was worn through to the wood and starting to get dis coloured. i think the checkering on the rib on the barrel had been done with a hoe. my dealers words when we opened the box and looked at it were "dear god". compaired to my winchester 120, which had smooth action even though it had spent most of its life on a salmon boat, the action was gritty and clunky from new. probably a strong gun that would last but compaired with the 700 bdl i have, finish wise(which wasn't that much more expensive), i was very disapointed. again its probably a very strong reliable gun but it really should have been finished better. infact my single baikal for £114 was finished better than the remington. i hated the gun and sold it before the season started. i dont know maybe i am looking for the wrong things in a gun.

It might also be worth mentioning that, when the U.S.state and military authorities went shopping for a new combat shotgun,they avoided all the domestically produced guns,and opted for the Italian made Benelli. Admittedly not the Supernova but, due to it`s higher standard of design and manufacture a Benelli nonetheless.

Bit of a clue there about manufacturing standards when the notoriously trade protectionist and insular U.S. government actually opted for the product of a foreign country in preference to its own domestic products.

It might also be worth mentioning that, when the U.S.state and military authorities went shopping for a new combat shotgun,they avoided all the domestically produced guns,and opted for the Italian made Benelli. Admittedly not the Supernova but, due to it`s higher standard of design and manufacture a Benelli nonetheless.

Bit of a clue there about manufacturing standards when the notoriously trade protectionist and insular U.S. government actually opted for the product of a foreign country in preference to its own domestic products.

Apparently our sneaky-beeky types are using the Benelli M2 in Afghan as well. Hmmm, all food for thought. Keep'em coming folks!

Scrummy

Edited by Scrumbag