Dog attack on sheep

Piebob

This attack happened a couple of miles down the road from me. http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/article/20143/one-of-the-worst-things-i-have-ever-seen-angus-sheep-farmer-shocked-by-ferocity-of-dog-attack.html

Please don't turn this into a staffie/chav thread - I'm interested to know if this is the work of the one dog pictured in the article, or if the damage caused would be too much for one staffie-type dog. I think the Help for Abandoned Animals guy is talking from another orifice that isn't his mouth, but I don't have any direct experience of these dogs. Would one have the stamina to attack the number of identified in the article?

As a general rule sheep are actually weak animals, on the other hand a staffy is a fighting dog you do the maths.

If I was the farmer the only decision I would need to make would of been 1 barrel or 2.

This is not a rant about staffy's or there owners and definatley not stereo typing however it does go to show the owners mentality and should be questioned if they haven't even had the balls to reclaim the dog and no doubt its not insured either.

sheep are easily stressed, and will totally give up and refuse to stand etc when brought down by a dog,when in hunt kennels Ive gone out to many a farm to shoot sheep that had been pulled over an nipped by a dog but then had decided to just give up and die

Unfortunately, over the years I have been involved in quite a few sheep attacks.

On these occasions the most common breeds of dogs involved have been retrievers and border collies.

Even when more than one dog is involved its unusual to have so many animals dead and/or injured, I can only assume they were in a quite enclosed area.

ive got a staffy bitch she is 10yrs old now and hasnt got a bad bone in her body.

in my opinion its the mindless idiots that buy these dogs and have no idea how to train or control these dogs that are to blame. :angry::angry: surely the blame must lay with the owner.

and yes your right i think it would have been both barrels. once the dog got the taste of sheep proberly no stopping it.

regards sf1

i grew up on a farm, i recall the farmer describing sheep as being born to die.....a few actually died on our farm from forgetting to take their heads out of water troughs when drinking and drowned themselves

Either enclosed area ......or could be more than one dog? or a very determined and wound up dog?

ive got a staffy bitch she is 10yrs old now and hasnt got a bad bone in her body.

in my opinion its the mindless idiots that buy these dogs and have no idea how to train or control these dogs that are to blame. :angry::angry: surely the blame must lay with the owner.

and yes your right i think it would have been both barrels. once the dog got the taste of sheep proberly no stopping it.

regards sf1

Comments like I got a staffy and she aint got a bad bone in her body really irritates me because thats what probably most owners said before they let there guard down and there lovely dog they had mauled a child or another dog.

The fact is that every dog has it's own mind and instincts and some breeds have been bred for different purposes, Yes SBT are companions now but look up what they were used for well just look at the name. They are fearless and wont stop once they get going thats, probably why this one done so much damage.

BBC news report on it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-16408702. A group of people nearby wonder if they're a group of Chavs out for a stroll in the countryside while drinking and taking drugs.

Now Im blaming the owners of the dog on this alright, I know there is SBT that are great with people and dogs, but the comments about there own wont hurt anything ****** me off I dont even say that about my own dog.

Edited by BFG

...... Would one have the stamina to attack the number of identified in the article?

If I remember correctly the other article said that the person who restrained, with his belt, the dog in the field said the dog was exhausted, yet still trying to get back at the sheep.

shocking that so much sheep were injured,but i think once any powerful dog goes into a frenzy and has the sheep in an enclosed area then it will happen.

Who has been out shooting and had to stop as some walkers with a dog off the lead has walked by,and if asked they say their dog would never attack a sheep.my dog would have chased a sheep when he was younger if he had been given the chance,but he is my gun dog and i have him in fields and he was trained not to even look at a sheep.

It is unfortunately down to the owner not believing their faithful companion has a wolf gene buried deep inside its body.every dog should be chipped and the owners details registered.

It is unfortunately down to the owner not believing their faithful companion has a wolf gene buried deep inside its body.every dog should be chipped and the owners details registered.

This :good: And while they are at it, if they can licence airguns they can licence dogs :yp:

Far too many irresponsible dog owners out there who get away with things because the police can't trace the dog owner and they haven't got the nounce to come forward. I see it all the time at the seafront where owners let their dogs off the lead close to the childrens play area, some have come rather close and started barking etc..

R.I.P the sheep

Edited by Livefast123

i reckon they should bring back dog license's......but it should be like getting a sgc.....interview, and a chipped/tattoo'd dog so they know who's dog it is.

stop a lot of dog theft also, and would stop puppy peddlars besides making such as this sheep attack traceable and accountable

sheep farmers struggle to make a living these days anyway , without losing stock like this

This :good: And while they are at it, if they can licence airguns they can licence dogs :yp:

Far too many irresponsible dog owners out there who get away with things because the police can't trace the dog owner and they haven't got the nounce to come forward. I see it all the time at the seafront where owners let their dogs off the lead close to the childrens play area, some have come rather close and started barking etc..

R.I.P the sheep

your right

Yes,one Staffie could inflict that amount of damage.Although we've domesticated them for thousands of years they're still canines with a desire to hunt.My pair (Boxer & Bullmastiff) are soft as grease,but i wouldnt trust them around livestock so they stay onlead.

oh and i give this 5 pages before its closed. :lol:

As has already been said every breed of dog has it within them to be sheep worriers, obviously the build of some dogs means they probably would struggle to do much damage however with others the reverse is true. My father-in-law has dealt with dogs who had inflicted horrendous wounds to sheep yet only hours later had in a Jekyll & Hyde fashion reverted back to the obedient "butter wouldn't melt" household pet. Some doting dog owners simply do not want to believe their pampered pooch is a sheep killer however this shouldn't make any difference.

Comments like I got a staffy and she aint got a bad bone in her body really irritates me because thats what probably most owners said before they let there guard down and there lovely dog they had mauled a child or another dog.

The fact is that every dog has it's own mind and instincts and some breeds have been bred for different purposes, Yes SBT are companions now but look up what they were used for well just look at the name. They are fearless and wont stop once they get going thats, probably why this one done so much damage.

BBC news report on it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-16408702. A group of people nearby wonder if they're a group of Chavs out for a stroll in the countryside while drinking and taking drugs.

Now Im blaming the owners of the dog on this alright, I know there is SBT that are great with people and dogs, but the comments about there own wont hurt anything ****** me off I dont even say that about my own dog.

yes your probably right that what most owners say. i never ment to start an argument just to say probably the owners fault. ive also got a cocker he hasnt got a bad bone in his body either. but thats just my opinion.

It's always heartbreaking when you are a farmer to go out into the fields and find a lot of your sheep have been killed or so savagely mauled that they have to be destroyed.

I wonder how many on this forum have actually witnessed it first hand.

One of the worst attacks I remember was done by a "staffie", it almost always resulted in the death of the sheep, it chewed at the bottom jaw of the sheep leaving gaping holes and splintered bones, the owner was notified by phone that his dog was killing sheep, his answer was "dont shoot it", this dog had been killing local sheep for months and had never been caught, and the owner always denied it was his, it was shot.

Two Jack Russel's were also responsible for the death of a large number of sheep, they were usually quiet home loving and well mannered and their owner was reluctant to believe the killings were done by them, they too were shot in the act.

All dog owners should always be aware that their loving pooch can so easily revert back to it's natural instincts and become a killer, by then it's too late, farmers do have the right to shoot dogs killing or worrying sheep.

i reckon they should bring back dog license's......but it should be like getting a sgc.....interview, and a chipped/tattoo'd dog so they know who's dog it is.

stop a lot of dog theft also, and would stop puppy peddlars besides making such as this sheep attack traceable and accountable

sheep farmers struggle to make a living these days anyway , without losing stock like this

your right

Yup should chip the dog owners as well

when i was a kid we had an alsatian,it got off the lead and attacked a sheep..dispite it being a well loved family pet my dad had it put down the next day..i cried for weeks and couldnt understand how he could kill my dog...30 years later it came up in conversation and i asked him why he did it,and he said cos if it could have killed a sheep it could have gone for you next..

wise man

mikky

when i was a kid we had an alsatian,it got off the lead and attacked a sheep..dispite it being a well loved family pet my dad had it put down the next day..i cried for weeks and couldnt understand how he could kill my dog...30 years later it came up in conversation and i asked him why he did it,and he said cos if it could have killed a sheep it could have gone for you next..

wise man

mikky

Sheep are a prey animal, a dog is a wolf, just tamed into a family pet. It still has wolf instincts, an untrained dog will chase sheep, rabbits, rats, squirrels, birds etc, but it doesn't mean it'll attack humans! Humans aren't prey, they are the boss.

It's just a matter of simple obedience, attacking a sheep doesn't mean it wants to attack humans.

I've got a staffie and an English bull terrier, and due to very narrow minded people I had them temperment tested by Liverpool university. The staff got 81% and the English 96% which proves it not the breed but the way they are brought up that matters. I get so many people who look down at these dogs, when they are the most loving and loyal breeds around, fantastic breeds. About the sheep, terriers love to chase, if it runs they chase it, but I can't see the staffie attacking it as the sheep wouldnt retaliate so dog wouldnt be provoked to do anything and get bored after the Chase.

I agree with dog licensing, chipping dogs is very useful, annual dog licenses might make a contribution to cleaning dog poop in the cities (I have found in rural areas dog owners carry poop bags). Sheep are very weak and it doesn't take much to make them give up the will to live. Dogs that menace sheep are fair game to be shot, end of conversation situation.

Sheep are a prey animal, a dog is a wolf, just tamed into a family pet. It still has wolf instincts, an untrained dog will chase sheep, rabbits, rats, squirrels, birds etc, but it doesn't mean it'll attack humans! Humans aren't prey, they are the boss.

It's just a matter of simple obedience, attacking a sheep doesn't mean it wants to attack humans.

fair enough...tell that to all the parents that have had their kids savaged by dogs

mikky

fair enough...tell that to all the parents that have had their kids savaged by dogs

mikky

There are some very nasty dogs out there, who either attack children for pleasure or have some other major issue causing them to do it, sometimes it's curable, sometimes not and then yes, they do need putting down.

Just because a dog attacks a sheep, which is what it's born to do, doesn't make it a child mauler! Big difference!