25 inch sxs and gun snobbs

ghilley

Hi everyone i have recently aquierd a lovely gunmark arrieta xxv with churchill rib and 25 inch barrels it is like new i took it into william powells for a valuation and there gunroom atendent(so called expert) just was outright rude about it telling me it was worthless untill i pointed out that there own continetal range of guns are made by arrieta and almost identicall he then disapeared with no expanation at all I drove quit some distence to see them and was very disapointed Anyway the gun shoots lovely and has takensome very tall birds so why the snobbery and compleat ignorance any comments please

Great guns, I love mine;

gun1.jpg

Values will vary a lot, when you want to buy a gun they are always out of budget yet when you try and sell one you can never seem to get what they are worth Lol. I've had mine for years to the point where I shoot realy bad with anything else! So quick to get onto Pigeons that are turning and curling. Enjoy it no matter what its worth :good:

atvb Paul.

William Powells have been like that for as long as I can remember, and that`s a very long time.

The only thing I would say is that the 25" barrel is very much a fashion thing and,sadly,at the moment they are out of fashion which might affect the value.

If you`re happy with the gun and can shoot with it, who cares what Powells think.

Thanks for all the responce this litle gun is magic very fast. and beleve itor not i have just receved an email from arrieta stating that current william powell Monarch and gmk crown are identical guns with diferent names and with longer barrels so the bloke is clearly a idiot i bet if i was bying things may have been much diferent Anyway i have sent powells a email expresing my diapointment ps sorry about my spelling i am very dislexsic

Looks a nice gun , I love sxs in my opinion I think they look so much better, I have a 26" spanish version and shoot very well with it being a beginner, can't shoot an o/u to save my life. They just don't feel right. I got a laugh when I took it out my bag on the clay shoot, and one chap even said look at this kid wasting our time,( as I'm 21 and a shrimp being 5'7") shut most of them up when I've only been a couple of times and smoked most of them, especially with their guns that cost 3k+ . There not worth alot but the picture on some people's face is priceless when you give them a whooping with 1. Keep it and enjoy shooting it. I'll never get rid of mine, makes it even better as I've only ha it a month

Edited by dan-250

Hi never realy new about valuing on hear ? i only went to powells as there sxs guns are made by arrieta? and i was lookingforward to having a look around? allso went to Banbry gun smiths round the corner and bob moretons on the way home. was looking at a valuation as i may be selling three guns to fund a eell by the way they allsode po pood my 20 gauge B rizzini artimis delux and beretta 686s dispite there own ou guns being made around a B rizzini artimis delux ??? All three of my guns are in pristeen condition all cased and imaculate with very litle use less than 250 carts shot between them Ps both bob and banbry gun smiths spent the time to have a good look and chat and indeed valu the guns for both private sale and what they wood have them up wich was way more than the fool at powells reconed they wher worth

Once upon a time when I earned a lot of money I had a pair of 20 bores with 25 inch barrels made for me by Arrietta. A lot of people scoffed, but they were superb, fast handling guns and just the job for driven partridge and walked up birds and quite useable for pheasant shooting. A few years later they became fashionable and I sold them for a very good price. I'm sure they'll be fashionable again.

Even though I don't use shotguns anymore, I wish I still had them. :cry1:

they will be in fasion again i am convinced Anyway been on a driven bird day today and taken 5 phesent two pigeon and a squirel for 11 shots and very high fast birds at that so let someone tell me the gun is no good they willbe wrong its lovely

Once upon a time when I earned a lot of money I had a pair of 20 bores with 25 inch barrels made for me by Arrietta. A lot of people scoffed, but they were superb, fast handling guns and just the job for driven partridge and walked up birds and quite useable for pheasant shooting. A few years later they became fashionable and I sold them for a very good price. I'm sure they'll be fashionable again.

Even though I don't use shotguns anymore, I wish I still had them. :cry1:

I wouldn't worry too much what they think mate about 25 inch guns.

I know a car that is very difficult to drive for 90% of people and not comfortable, so can we conclude it's useless. Yes we can. By the way it's any Ferrari from the last 30 years!

I've got two 25" barreled 12 bore SxS, both by Thomas Wild, although not a pair. If they are cheaper because they aren't flavour of the month, that's only to the buyers advantage. As soon as some high-profile shooting "expert" says they're thing thing to have everybody will have to have one and the prices will appreciate. Out of all my guns they probably get the most use. Good saving in weight over 28 or 30" guns and handy in the confines of a hide. Fashionable or not I love them. You do not need long barreled, tightly choked guns to bring down high birds; I know that from experience. Short guns work just as well, it's really down to who's using them...

Just ignore the negative attitudes and enjoy the gun for what it is. Be different, who wants to follow the flock in any case!!!!

I'd love one but most of the stall holders advised against them.

I'm intrigued, what was there reason..?

I've had all lengths from 32" down over, also a Marlin 36".

A while back I was given a 26" Sabel...thought I'd never ever use this gun, but now it's my main gun, everything up to Fox, (not geese), nice quick fast handling guns.

Thanks everyone nice to know so meny of you use short guns and sxs guns lets hope they make a nice comeback. Reminds me of a story i was told Aparently some meny years back a guest turned up at a high class top bird day with a pair of Boss ou shotguns and was politly asked to bring sxs guns if he wonted to shoot there again funny just how things change ;)

My Rizzini is 26" and i find it better handling than my longer guns, i have had some very high birds with it so bang goes the theory shorter barrels dont have the same range as longer types.

Everyone prefers different things and most follow trend, but i dont give 2 hoots what others think, i know i can shoot just as well as the next man with his longer barrels. unless the next man is digweed or someother top shot :lol:

Edited by M.I.A