What rimfire set up do u use???

Deano87

BRNO Mod2 with 6x44 scope. Decent scope but don't know what make (says Hunter on it)

Winchester subs.

I've tried other stuff but if I wanted a rabbit this is what I would take.

Accounted for thousands of rabbits with it in the last 40 ish years.

Probably worth £50 on a very good day but priceless to me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a 16" CZ452 Varmint in .22lr, 6x42 Docter scope mounted with Millet mounts and a JLS Stalker mod. It's fitted with a brookes trigger kit which made a huge difference to the gun. Ammo wise I use Winchester subs and Federal HV ammo, zero works out at 60 yards with the subs and about 90 yards with the HV rounds.

I used to also have a 16" CZ452 in HMR which I swapped for the Hornet and a Ruger 10/22 SYSS custom which was good but I decided I didn't really see the point in a semi auto. :good:

ANSCHUTZ 1417 THUMBHOLE 14" BARREL,HAWKE FRONTIER 3.5-10X50(JAPANESE MODEL),DM80 MOD,CLULITE BLAZERLITE,SET SHOOTING STICKS,CCI SUBS

ANSCHUTZ 1517 THUMBHOLE 14" BARREL,ZEISS CONQUEST 4.5-14X50,DM80 MOD,HARRIS 12-25" BIPOD, HORNADY V-MAX

LEUPOLD RANGEFINDER

ALDI N/V MONOCULAR

WOULDNT CHANGE EITHER OF THESE SET UPS----PERFECTION

ATB DAVE

Im on my fourth 22lr and its a keeper. Its just an old brno model 2 made in 1981 with a parker hale mod and Hawke panorama 3-9x50 ao milldot scope. No trigger kit on it just chopped a couple of coils off the trigger spring and it will group on a 10mm shoot 'n c' target all day at 50yds.

One of my mates has got an old mod 2! God that's knocked some stuff over! Very nice rifle, properly built! I've got a cz 452, nice, but IMO not as nice as the mod 2!

A brace of CZ452 Silhouettes: 16" .22LR with a Leupold FX-III 6x42, SAK mod and a 20" .17HMR with a Pecar Berlin 4-10x50 and another SAK mod both with YoDave trigger kits.... and a pair of Harris bipods to park them on.

The LR is a fussy bint and doesn't like Winchester subs, so usually gets fed Germanys finest - Lapua SK's, the HMR sticks to a loyal diet of Hornady

Edited by Colster

17 hmr cz 453 or 452 either or,varmint barrel with a sound mod that i have forgot the name of now i come to write this. with a 6-24x50 dontop scope illuminated target dot, harris bi-pod shooting hornady v-max works well only ever shot foxes with it, very accurate when not windy.

Edited by basil-blaster

Weihrauch HW60J .22 LR Pulsar N550 NV scope. Now dedicated night shooter. Slaps them over in total darkness to 80 yds. Usually Lapua SK subs though had a bad batch that were very waxy. Working through 500 Winchester subs which almost as good. Hope normal SK service will be resumed soon.

Weihrauch HW60J .17 HMR. Hawke 3-12X50 mildot. (Pinched Meopta off it for .222) Hawke is a stop-gap. OK for .22 ranges but light gathering beyond 100 yds not a patch on Meopta. Looking for secondhand Meopta or S&B. Good optics pay dividends with this calibre.

General purpose walking-round and sniping gun. Loves Winchester Supremes for some reason. Shoots touching groups without really trying at 100 yds.

SAK mods on both rifles.

Edited by Gimlet

As per my signature,

For the .17HMR a picture says a lot more -

bbd259c3.jpg

That's what I will buy when I change my HMR, what a stunner!

I have an 18" Anschutz 1517 with the walnut thumbhole stock and a falcon 10x40 scope and a

Sako finnfire varmint .22lr cut down to 16" with a bushnell banner 4-12x40 scope.

Here you go, not the best picture but you get the idea.

Bipod has moved forward since then as I didn't end up chopping the stock

post-2157-1224935593.jpg

thats a nice looking set up mate :good: i'm really tempted to get mine chopped to 14.5" even more so now yours looks great.

whats the accuracy like on these really short barrels? i was always lead to believe longer was more accurate but everyone seems to be going shorter nowadays, do you have to sacrifice any accuracy?

I was always lead to believe longer was more accurate but everyone seems to be going shorter nowadays,

And your right with what you know, that's why competition shooters use long barrels. But will you notice it in the field? Only you can answer that, do your homework and look at the ballistics before you do anything. It's the same as long barrels being in favour in the shotgun world, a lot of it is fashion. There are all the reasons (for and against) in the world, but fashions come and go, do your homework and do what's right for you and your type of shooting.

It's a great thread to see what others are using,nd nice to see some lovely weihrauchs, annies and a savage creating some quality diversity out there...anything more exotic to come ...

Edited by Oly

As per my signature,

For the .17HMR a picture says a lot more -

bbd259c3.jpg

Lovely rifle mate,handled one of these when I was shopping for my hmr,absolutely superb. :good:

I ended up with CZ 452 American 20" .17hmr,now carrying a Nikko Stirling Platinum 4-12x50 W/A,

and a SAK mod. Does the business. :good:

Edited by the enigma

whats the accuracy like on these really short barrels? i was always lead to believe longer was more accurate but everyone seems to be going shorter nowadays, do you have to sacrifice any accuracy?

On a rimfire none whatsoever, 14" is considered the optimum, the debate goes on but the common thinking is after that the powder is all burnt so any additional barrel length actually reduces velocity

Mine was accurate before at 21" and is even more accurate now, it will shoot into 5-10mm or so at 50 yards all day long (provided the person behind it does their bit)

Longer barrels are used on centrefires to allow increased powder burning time or on target rifles to mount open sights further apart, neither is relevant on a rimfire hunting rifle.

Sako Finnfire Hunter,

Just out of interest mate, who found this gun for you? I am sure there was an agreement to always acknowledge the good graces of the person who found this bargain for you!

Sako finnfire hunter (courtesy of Katzenjammer) :)

I run a Brno Mod 2 with a Hawke Panorama 3-9x40 scope - previously had a simmons 1.5-5x20 on it. Sak mod, harris bipod or IQ 195v tripod.