Why all this shooting using rests

ChrisAsh

I used to shoot in the RN years ago with 22,303 & 762 using no4's and SLR the only help we were allowed was a strap to wrap around your arm as a steady, open sights at all ranges

Nowdays it seems that all shooting is done using firm rests of one sort or another at relativly short range

Now I understand people going after deer using a couple of sticks to brace against, but if shooting has to go down the route of rests and scopes, why do people bother, next you will be leaving the gun fixed on the ground and just move a couple of screw threads to move the gun up and down/ left and right

Does anyone shoot these days from laying down, Kneeling or standing using open sights with no rests or do you just see the gun as a cold lump of metal to be used as a tool :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by ChrisAsh

When shooting HFT you have various different stances that you must shoot (prone, kneeling, stood) and without bipods/sticks etc although you can still brace against a natural object if you have one handy. It's good fun and a test.

When hunting though I see it differently, then it's imperative that it's a spot on shot and to achieve that I nearly always use a rest of some sort. It's the only way to achieve consistent pinpoint accuracy for me....although not with a shottie generally. :lol:

Edited by -Mongrel-

Does anyone shoot these days from laying down, using open sights with no rests or do you just see the gun as a cold lump of metal to be used as a tool :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

The idea is to hit the intended target and have a safe backstop, so from a slight elivation and a steady stance the round is moving on a down arch towards more often than not its much safer...........

If you are able to shot Foxes out to 250 yards standing and with open sights safley well done you :rolleyes:

Edited by pavman

bet if you shoot on paper your groups free hand aren't quite up to rabbit skull proportions. The simple answer is for accuracy we like to kill what we shoot at rather than wound it so probably not the same as your experience in the RN

I used to shoot in the RN years ago with 22,303 & 762 using no4's and SLR the only help we were allowed was a strap to wrap around your arm as a steady, open sights at all ranges

Nowdays it seems that all shooting is done using firm rests of one sort or another at relativly short range

Now I understand people going after deer using a couple of sticks to brace against, but if shooting has to go down the route of rests and scopes, why do people bother, next you will be leaving the gun fixed on the ground and just move a couple of screw threads to move the gun up and down/ left and right

Does anyone shoot these days from laying down, Kneeling or standing using open sights with no rests or do you just see the gun as a cold lump of metal to be used as a tool :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

It is just how things have developed, I am quite sure you are not driving the same car you had when you were shooting on the range. And the pc you sent the post from is something that you would have never dreamed of 30 years ago.

I like purse netting, but it is not as effective as the long netting I do, given the hedges are like jungles these days.

Nothing wrong with the past, just it is in the past…..

TEH

I think it's mainly because we aren't all super skilled shots.

Not many people are good enough to take shots at any real distance without a scope and rest, but can easily hit the target by resting the gun.

Shooting prone isn't always convenient, especially when it comes to having a backstop, it's often not safe.

I personally much prefer open sights and would probably have them on all my rifles except that I simply can't see the target without it being magnified, I just don't have good enough eyesight. I can't shoot without a rest, I'm not good enough.

One small thing, being in the RN will have ensured a good level of physical fitness (more so than the average person), I suspect that helps with holding a rifle steady without a rest.

If there is no alternative I will snap shoot rabbits(at modest distances)with my .22 using the sling wrapped around my forearm as taught,but if there is any chance of using a rest of any sort,then I will.

Technology moves on,primarily to aid accurate shooting(a by-product of which is hopefully a humane kill)which is why I prefer to use a 'scope and bipod.

For sure there are people out there that can shoot great groups with the methods you describe but for many, myself included, sticks or bipods make for more humane shooting. Prone is as steady as I can get but most of the Rabbits I shoot at then fall out of view, thats why I like the sticks. I would love to be steady free hand but I am not.

atvb Paul.

personally, I would love to see you do an evenings lamping with a .22. Say 20 shots over 2 hrs of walking rough ground, ranges from 40-90 yards all standing with no support, headshots.

I too did military training, and on the ranges we'd take shots from all sorts of positions (using susat) at all sorts of ranges to about 500m, normally 100-400 though. But the acceptable group was about 20cm. Also that was just training. Where ever possible you'd use whatever support available to ensure the most accurate shooting. whether that be from the foregrip bipod, a wall, a mates shoulder.

To consistently hit a fox or deer in the kill zone, never mind a rabbits head, or a pigeons head, at a decent range to ensure cleanest possible kill, for the animals welfare, and my subsequent use of the meat, I'd take the best assistance I can.

Cheers

Pete

I think people have become dependant on supports of some sort, me included.

If you see someone shoot off hand accurately you soon realise what can be achieved with plenty of practise, I have shot with some great driven shooters and it's a pleasure to watch to be honest.

Have a look at the driven boar shooting vid posted on here today for example.

The stalkers test can be a bit of an eye opener, the position most struggle with is off their elbows only, off a bench at 100 yards.

I think people have become dependant on supports of some sort, me included.

If you see someone shoot off hand accurately you soon realise what can be achieved with plenty of practise, I have shot with some great driven shooters and it's a pleasure to watch to be honest.

Have a look at the driven boar shooting vid posted on here today for example.

The stalkers test can be a bit of an eye opener, the position most struggle with is off their elbows only, off a bench at 100 yards.

While I have never driven shot with a rifle I do use a shotgun and its far easier to keep a smooth steady swing going than keep a rifle rock steady, or maybe its just me. Anyone that can hold rock steady off hand has my utmost respect.

atvb Paul.

I use to use a Winchester trapper with a reciever peep sight and stock front, shot plenty game with it, just had to get closer.

Made for great hunting as opposed to great sniping! Do the same with my musket and 22 sometimes.

I need to know I can shoot off hand. If I can shoot off hand I know I can rested. I often practice with my air rifle and 22.

U.

Surely the perfect shot against live quarry is not a challenge but a necessity. Its getting the animal in the sights in the first place thats the challenge.

Paper punching allows you to stretch your abilities so you can extend the range at which the real thing becomes a formality.

Military training and hunting isn't really comparing like with like. In the military you're training to shoot for your life against a target that shoots back. You're not in hunting. With the exception of elephants and cape buffalo, animals generally speaking aren't armed, you can afford them the mercy of a clean death.

I use to use a Winchester trapper with a reciever peep sight and stock front, shot plenty game with it, just had to get closer.

Made for great hunting as opposed to great sniping! Do the same with my musket and 22 sometimes.

I need to know I can shoot off hand. If I can shoot off hand I know I can rested. I often practice with my air rifle and 22.

U.

+++ I used to shoot only off bipods/bench and would wonder why I frequently missed runners, when I awoke and realized to make running shots one must first master off hand shooting. I frequently shoot the air rifle offhand and it has contributed tremendously to my offhand hi power shooting. I agree that to be a truly great shot one must have both tools in the box.

+++ I used to shoot only off bipods/bench and would wonder why I frequently missed runners, when I awoke and realized to make running shots one must first master off hand shooting. I frequently shoot the air rifle offhand and it has contributed tremendously to my offhand hi power shooting. I agree that to be a truly great shot one must have both tools in the box.

shooting foxes running with a rifle takes a lot of doing i have done it on lampshy foxes but i was much younger and was shooting a lot of foxes at the time, confidence in your rifle is the key my longest running fox was 325 yards with a .222 and the longest hare was 420 with a .270, i dont shoot enough these days to have the confidence to try those kind of shots, plus my eyes aint as good as they were back then

shooting foxes running with a rifle takes a lot of doing i have done it on lampshy foxes but i was much younger and was shooting a lot of foxes at the time, confidence in your rifle is the key my longest running fox was 325 yards with a .222 and the longest hare was 420 with a .270, i dont shoot enough these days to have the confidence to try those kind of shots, plus my eyes aint as good as they were back then

There was an American gun writer who was famous for saying that "they are the same size running as they are standing still" but it just doesn't seem so. I admire your ability and when you said at the the time you were shooting a lot of fox it all rang true as repetition builds those skills. I do know shooters that routinely roll running Coyotes at 300-400yds. and have witnessed it, and yes it is awe inspiring as I am sure you know. The common thread here is that they shoot---a lot--- and they shoot offhand---a lot. They know where they need to be on a 400 yard Coyote and they take their sweet time making the shot sometimes it seems they are just watching the Coyote run away until the gun fires and the Coyote tumbles.

Being primarily a shotgun shooter I can't tell you how weird and 'hands off' it felt when I tried a few rifles (prone) recently courtesy of some PW members.

I was most comfortable when I held the 'forend' area with my left hand and tucked the gun right in.

Interesting and fun experience tho. Def doing it again.

I was a staunch freehand shooter, normally firing from the standing or kneeling position. It wasn't until I used a mate's bipod that I started using one. As other's have said, it's a tool of enhancement - steadier platform makes for more accurate shooting.

I CAN shoot freehand with the .22 if i need to, generally i like a rest to as to be as accurate as possible, i like a quick clean kill and dont like wasting bullets.

With my 6.5 it is so front heavy with a moderator that i doubt id be able to hold it steady enough freehand.

I understand the accuracy points, but is it not taking away a lot of the fun and skill of shooting, i mean why hold it at all why not use a bench vice, I thought the fun, when I shot rifles, was mastering all types of shooting be it target or moving by learning the skills to hold the gun correctly hold ones breath and squeese the trigger,

Makes you wonder what the wild west would make of it all

I understand the accuracy points, but is it not taking away a lot of the fun and skill of shooting, i mean why hold it at all why not use a bench vice, I thought the fun, when I shot rifles, was mastering all types of shooting be it target or moving by learning the skills to hold the gun correctly hold ones breath and squeese the trigger,

Makes you wonder what the wild west would make of it all

My target shooting these days is basically zeroing for my field work.

I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else, when I get down and point a gun at something living I take every advantage I can get that helps me do the job efficiently!

ATB!

:good::good: