16 bores

washerboy

Hi,

most shotguns are measured in 'bore'. 1 bore being the circumference of a pound of lead formed into a ball.

Therefore a '12 bore' is one twelve of a pound of lead formed into a ball.

A 16 bore is one 16th etc. smaller than a 12 but larger than a 20.

Used my father's side by side hammer 16 bore when learning to shoot.

16 bore cartridges then (40 years ago) were more expensive than 12, due to it being a less popular size, so moved to a 12 bore when I got my SGC.

Edited by JAT

Hi,

most shotguns are measured in 'bore'. 1 bore being the circumference of a pound of lead formed into a ball.

Therefore a '12 bore' is one twelve of a pound of lead formed into a ball.

A 16 bore is one 16th etc. smaller than a 12 but larger than a 20.

Used my father's side by side hammer 16 bore when learning to shoot.

16 bore cartridges then (40 years ago) were more expensive than 12, due to it being a less popular size, so moved to a 12 bore when I got my SGC.

I think the price of shells as said would be the biggest issue. I hear 20g are quite a bit more than 12g and there fairly popular. A 16g being quite uncommon would probally be more again :hmm: Cant say for sure though as Ive never had one lol

I haven't used any of my 12 bores since buying a 16 bore Army & Navy last December, just love it. It weighs under 6lbs so it's brilliant for walked up and kills just as well as a 12 bore. I've shot Pheasant, Woodcock, Pigeon and Rabbit with it using 26g loads. The cartridges aren't particularly pricey but there isn't the variety you find with 12 or 20 bore. I'm pretty sure the next gun I get will also be a 16 bore...

It's gauge, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge and so on.

The gauge is pure lead. Then a number of balls that make up one pound of pure lead. Those balls are measured for diameter and that is what the tubes are drawn or bored at. 12, 16 and 20 are not actual measurement of a bore.

Just your 410, 9mm and 22shot are bores.

U :good:

I'm not having a go, this is a genuine question - what is the point of a 16 bore?

What is actually gained from shooting one over a 20 bore, which surely must be lighter, almost as effective and relatively common, with cheaper cartridges?

To put it differently, why do people use a .243, .308, .270, 7-08, 7x57 when a 6.5x55 will do the job?

Its because people want to use and experience different calibers.

They do have a few Niches. 16b Can handle heavier loads than a 20b.

having said that why not get a lightweight 12b which will be cheaper than others and according to Geoff Thomas More Ballistically efficient?

I think you mean GOUGH Thomas, Beretta28g! Good to hear his name come up, though - he was a phenomenal authority on shooting and his opinions are as valid today as they were when he first aired them.

In my view, his books are right at the top of the reading list for anyone who takes shooting seriously.

I'm note sure about your assertion that 16 bore can handle heavier loads than 20 bore, though. Remember, 20 bores can be had with 3" chambers, and cartridges are available. I've never seen a 3" chambered 16 bore, and I'm pretty sure cartridges would be very hard to come by - and that's if they're even made any more.

A well-built 16 bore is a delightful thing - light, fast-handling and just so efficient. The next-best thing is indeed a light-weight 12 bore, but what the 12 bore lacks is the 16's slimmer dimensions. I used to own a 25-inch barelled 12 bore which weighed just on 6 lbs, and it was a lovely gun, but for me it was just that little bit too chunky at the breech. A 16 bore with 26-inch barrels is just that much more graceful and lively.

16 bore is, I believe, still very popular in the USA, - have a look at www.16gauge.com/.