SGC interview

evo

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to type something along the lines of 'How the Heck do you forget...blah, blah, blah'...then I rembered that I'd missed a minor conviction off my SGC thinking it was before I was 16 and therefore not required, I FORGOT how old I was when it happened. Fortunately my FEO didn't feel it mattered, just asked why I'd missed it off and accepted it as e genuine mistake, hopefully EVO can get a similar result in due course.

Am I the only person who doesn't want people convicted of assault with a shotgun? How could you 'forget' this? I think the police have done a good job!

You may want to consider that people make mistakes, especially when young. I walloped a fella for putting his hands where he shouldn't on my girlfriend at the time, and then he told me "I'll touch up who I ******* like!" when challenged. I floored him with one punch knocking out two teeth and breaking his nose, unfortunately, in front of two of Bromleys finest CID officers. They understood why I'd done what I did but it made it no less illegal. The conviction was for ABH in the end. I was 22. I am now mid 40's and have no other convictions bar a couple of minor speeding (Gatso) offences. Should I really be refused an SGC for being a bit hot headed 20+ years ago? Fortunately Sussex Police didn't think so.

johnathan thanks for your support mate but its best to leave it bud because some on here are just up for winding ya up mate,,i,ll just wait till the letter or licence(whatever)turns up,,i,m not sweating mate,,i,ve told the truth,, explained it all,,been accused of something i didnt do(speeding)as he will find out,,and to top it off i,ve been left sitting here worrying WHY ME !!!!!!! . i,m as honest as they come mate ,,been shooting since i was 10 yrs old(now a month off 48) and if they think they can take that away from me for making a genuine stupid mistake(sorry forgetful mistake) then so be it ,,,,,at least i will be able to walk out my door with my head held high,,but the ball is in their court,,,just waiting for it to come back,,believe me there are people on here who have done worse but my friend dont bite to them,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers evo :good:

Cheers. People don't wind me up and, to be honest, I'm an argumentative **** anyway. I respond to this sort of stuff because I think it's important to dismiss a lot of the myth and rubbish that gets spread around these days. Too many people will simply accept whatever they are told by the police without giving any thought as to whether it's actually correct - or even legal!

As I say, from what you have said it would seem unlikely that they are going to prtosecute you for not declaring your conviction. They have to prove that you intentionally withheld it which is not an easy thing to do. If they were going to then they would have formally refused you straight away, I think.

J.

J.

I think the feo is doing you a favour by telling you to withdraw your application, if he wanted to be a complete *** he would let it it proceed and you would have to wait three years to apply again if it were refused.

There is no set period that you have to wait after a refusal before you can re-apply. Also, sec.44 of the Act gives you a right of appeal at the Crown court against the refusal.

J.

Cheers. People don't wind me up and, to be honest, I'm an argumentative **** anyway. I respond to this sort of stuff because I think it's important to dismiss a lot of the myth and rubbish that gets spread around these days. Too many people will simply accept whatever they are told by the police without giving any thought as to whether it's actually correct - or even legal!

As I say, from what you have said it would seem unlikely that they are going to prtosecute you for not declaring your conviction. They have to prove that you intentionally withheld it which is not an easy thing to do. If they were going to then they would have formally refused you straight away, I think.

J.

J.

YOU !!! An argumentative **** !! Surely not !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As I say, from what you have said it would seem unlikely that they are going to prtosecute you for not declaring your conviction.

Ah - it's a conviction all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

I only respond to the rubbish advice some people give. It would be amusing if it wasn't so serious.

Poontang summed up the situation.

As for the right of appeal - you would need a large wallet.

Edited by Gordon R

had sgc interview after waiting nearly 3 months,,i have been formally cautioned for trying to obtain an sgc and missing a conviction of common assault that happened in 1997,,(15 years ago) and also a driving ticket(speeding) not mine ex missus was driving my van to pick up stock for the salon and she was convicted just that the van was in my name,,totally gutted,,got to wait for the letter now to see if i am gonna be charged,,,honestly did not remember conviction from 15yrs ago,,,,i,m totally devastated by this as i am hard workingand honest and thought i put everything down(WHAT A DI*****D) now i,m worried i wont get sgc and also i,m gonna get charged,,just sent a letter to BASC asking for help,,,,,,,,,,,,,totally gutted :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: oh he also said he thinks it best that i remove my application so i told him no i wont as this was a genuine mistake on my behalf,,

hi all, my first post (been lurking for a while) so be gentle.

In short, a formal caution and being cautioned (what the feo did!) are two different things. a caution is a couple of sentences warning YOU that YOU have a right to legal advice and whatever YOU say may be used in court. a formal caution is when you admit you did something illegal for example nickin an easter egg of your niece and you have been interviewed under caution with your legal rights explained. your normally asked if you understand these rights however this is not necessary and unless you are mentally impaired wont help if you later plead that you didnt understand them.

To be convicted of an assualt you went to court, at court your either said yes i did it or were found guilty by either a JP or jury. You would then be sentenced. anything other than an absloute discharge is a conviction. even a fine.

in relation to speeding it goes on the driver aka the driving licence. Not the registration number. in fact there is no way someone can be convicted of speeding or any other motoring offence and thir licence endorsed just on the registration number. at the very least a letter of intended prosecution would be sent out with an opportunity to reply. this would be to the registeted keeper as its your responsibility who drives it. if they dont have insurance and you allow them to drive its another offence for example.

As to getting charged for not declaring a previous conviction and motoring offence then its up to the officer writing the report for the CPS. he could decide that you really did forget that 15 years ago you beat someone up and were found guilty in court and that your x drove the car and somehow you got punished for it and didnt say anything. or he could decide that you hid these facts to get a Sgc hoping they wouldnt find out. eitherway i doubt you would be charged. i struggle to see the offence and if that is made out the public interest in pursueing it.

if they dont grant the sgc and dont charge you a day in HIgh court will sort it out either way asby.the sounds of it you have good reason,can no doubt secure the firearm (in a safe) and are suitable to possess one ie not prohibited a drunkard mentqlly unstable etc etc.

best of luck.

sorry for the typos on my phone.

Evo, I find it hard to believe that you so stubbornly ignore the advice that has been freely given to assist you.

Even if you just wait a few weeks to re-apply after withdrawing your application you will stand a better chance of getting what you so badly want. Genuine forgetful mistake or otherwise, the issue was not disclosed: Whilst it might not neccessarily result in a conviction it has a very good change of scuppering your ticket application. There is also a matter of whether your memory lapse implies any undislclosed medical conditions which could lead to rejection, and not heeding the common sense suggestion of your feo MIGHT be viewed as less than ideal personality of a SGC holder. :hmm:

IF you get a refusal it will mark your card for very long time - it's just not worth the risk bud. Can you imagine the posts on this thread if that transpires?

get some advice form whichever shooting organisation you are a member of.

And as per the previous post, I would think that if you do withdraw this application there is absolutely nothing stopping you applying afresh the very next day. Maybe the FEO was offering you good advice.

name='Gordon R' timestamp='1334003853' post='1748988']

Ah - it's a conviction all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

I only respond to the rubbish advice some people give. It would be amusing if it wasn't so serious.

Poontang summed up the situation.

As for the right of appeal - you would need a large wallet.

You have a right to appeal against a refusal with the licensing Force, closed hearing, were you can put your case. If that fails then it the Courts, thats when you need your wallet or a good insurance policy.

When I was 17 me (im 55 now) and a couple of mates did some some stupidity shall we say and paid the price nothing serious but never the less wrong, alcohol fueled, Its haunted my every application, never affected what I wanted.

I fail to see how anyone can forget as the licence application states full disclosure spent or unspent.

Your probaly fed up with opinions by now, but heres mine Id fill out a new application with all details, get your FEO to come visit you or you visit him, massive groveling session withdraw first application and give new application, massive apology to him and a apology letter to your firearms licensing section for your force, people forget they are human after all.

Good Luck

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

If your security arrangements were checked after the FEO had warned you about the missed conviction, and his promise to look into the motoring offence, and after his offer of advice to you, then you should take a hint and withdraw and resubmit with full disclosure.

FEO had no option but to caution you for missed conviction(s).

guys as i said this happend to me but it was a police officer that charged me and i made a complaint to the cheif constable i did not withdraw my application i got my sg certificate and charges dropped, to save anyone else going thru this just go to the nearest hq and pay for your record details that way no mistakes

guys as i said this happend to me but it was a police officer that charged me and i made a complaint to the cheif constable i did not withdraw my application i got my sg certificate and charges dropped, to save anyone else going thru this just go to the nearest hq and pay for your record details that way no mistakes

great advice mate,just wish i would of done that first before filling my app in,,never mind,,can i just thank you all for your constructive critisism i have taken note and i am going to ring basc before i make any rash decision,,but thanks again for your replies,

cheers all Evo :good: