English Longbow

Chard

With some supervision from his older brother, who's a bit of a dab hand at bowmaking among other things, my youngest lad made a traditional English longbow and some arrows.

We sneaked out today to put it through it's paces, though the weather could have been better :lol:

We had thunder lightning rain and hailstones, but it kept the dog walkers out of the way I suppose :P

The bow worked brilliantly. I was getting in excess of 160 yards with it. The lad struggled a bit to pull it right back to his ear, but he's getting there.

Ben in full flow :

003ldi.jpg

And in the middle of a hailstorm :lol: :lol: :lol:

002snf.jpg

Hard to get an idea of distance from a photo, but this is taken from where my arrows landed, looking back to the lads at the original firing point :o

006miv.jpg

Edited by Chard

The bowman himself, with a bow he made for himself. It's as much as I can do to pull this one, in fact I put my shoulder out on one of his other ones, which was nowhere near the draw weight of this one :o :o :o and I'm not exactly a scrawny little gimp :sly:

kgrhqrlwe6dwerlfebolgj9.jpg

Edited by Chard

Wiki has some interesting stuff regarding the English and Welsh Longbow of course before the Welsh boys rightly take umberage given they made up a large part of the tradition back then of shooting at the French with these beasts :lol:

My link

Quote : regarding the draw forces for the arrows/bows from the Mary Rose are estimated by Hardy at 150–160 lbf (670–710 N) at a 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length; the full range of draw weights was between 100–185 lbf (440–820 N)for kit fpound at this time period!

Good to see traditional pastimes being upheld now all we need is a Frenchman to really test it out :lol:

Wiki has some interesting stuff regarding the English and Welsh Longbow of course before the Welsh boys rightly take umberage given they made up a large part of the tradition back then of shooting at the French with these beasts :lol:

My link

Quote : regarding the draw forces for the arrows/bows from the Mary Rose are estimated by Hardy at 150–160 lbf (670–710 N) at a 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length; the full range of draw weights was between 100–185 lbf (440–820 N)for kit fpound at this time period!

Good to see traditional pastimes being upheld now all we need is a Frenchman to really test it out :lol:

Yes, they must have been big lads back then :lol:

That bow Ben is using is around 55lb (ish). The one I put my shoulder out with was about 75lb and my eldest lad, Ross, uses one which is 130lb :o :o :o

Most bows for sale in the UK are between about 30-50lb :hmm:

It took years of training to develop the strength needed to become an archer. They were lopsided from the uneven muscle development. Boys would start as soon as they were old enough to hold a bow and practice constantly throughout the rest of their lives. While they were doing that they weren't working so for the lord of the manor to have 100 archers was bloody expensive, but very handy if they were needed for they were nearly unbeatable in battle.

Lovely things longbows. I remember going to a medieval reenactment at Goodrich castle and they were shooting bows with a pull of 110lbs and the arrows were aimed at targets on the ground.

We also listened to a fascinating old boy who gave a talk on the English longbow. Vaguely I recall he talked about our two finger sign which comes from "sod off Frenchman i'm and English bowman" and the term "knock on and knock off". A knock is on the bow string and English bowmen had to do mandatory practice for a set period on a Sunday by order of the King. Hence knock on and knock off. Another thing he said was our archers could get 10 arrows away to the minute to 1 bolt the French fired from a crossbow.

I think i've got this right? It was a while ago. :hmm:

Edited by Whitebridges

Lovely things longbows. I remember going to a medieval reenactment at Goodrich castle and they were shooting bows with a pull of 110lbs and the arrows were aimed at targets on the ground.

We also listened to a fascinating old boy who gave a talk on the English longbow. Vaguely I recall he talked about our two finger sign which comes from "sod off Frenchman i'm and English bowman" and the term "knock on and knock off". A knock is on the bow string and English bowmen had to do mandatory practice for a set period on a Sunday by order of the King. Hence knock on and knock off. Another thing he said was our archers could get 10 arrows away to the minute to 1 bolt the French fired from a crossbow.

I think i've got this right? It was a while ago. :hmm:

The story I heard about the 'two finger salute' is that the English/Welsh men would stick them up to the Frenchmen, stating that as long as they had those two fingers, they could still fire the longbow.

My eldest son Ross, the bowmaker, having a pop at a warbow meetup. That one would have gone a serious distance :sly:

img3385copy.jpg

And again....

imgp2052a.jpg

The first one looks like an incomer, the second is a right to left quartering away crosser.... ;)

What sort of distance are you looking at with a 130LB longbow, accuracy wise?

:shaun:

The first one looks like an incomer, the second is a right to left quartering away crosser.... ;)

What sort of distance are you looking at with a 130LB longbow, accuracy wise?

:shaun:

It doesn't really go up pro-rata.

I was getting somewhere around 160 yards with the 55lb bow today, Ross would be close to 200 yards with a 130lb bow.

He's pretty accurate with it, even at ranges like that, but you're not talking target accuracy :lol:

The tactics were that they would saturate the enemy with a cloud of arrows, rather than pick out individual targets.

Edited by Chard

Chard, does Ross know Mark Stretton?

When we were doing our DSC1 with David he was saying Mark his son does that sort of thing.

He apparently holds the world record with a 220lb pull! And uses a 150lb normally.

Not sure, he knows a lot of the well-known bowmen.

I'll ask him tonight, he's on his way here from Kent at the moment, sitting on the M25 ******* and blinding :lol:

In fact I'm almost sure he does know him. I think Mark Stretton is the big guy with a beard in this video, dressed in brown with an England St. Georges cross badge on his jacket, shooting near the end at about 6.18. Ross is in the video, wearing a black T shirt with a white logo and writing on the back and blue jeans. So they seem to shoot the same shoots :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SL8hfitq5A&list=UUgkVHUxltoZ_uoNUFlJ_B7A&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Wow! I'd love one of these :yes:

Ross would make you one Zapp, but he charges over £200 :o

Edited by Chard

Yes, they must have been big lads back then :lol:

That bow Ben is using is around 55lb (ish). The one I put my shoulder out with was about 75lb and my eldest lad, Ross, uses one which is 130lb :o :o :o

Most bows for sale in the UK are between about 30-50lb :hmm:

Thank God for the compound bow.

The british longbow was a more formidable weapon than the musket right up until the advent of the Enfield musket. Even then it only beat it on range not rate of fire. The secret of the musket was that any soldier could be trained to fire a musket in a week or so where as it took decades to train an archer. Given average life expectancy in the middle ages most archers would only peak in the last decade of their expected life so most were never used in warfare.

Edited by Vince Green