What size bipod

Brown Sauce

if your only doing bench rest shooting,,,the 6 to 9 inch would be fine

for field shooting/hunting for an average sized person Definately 9 to 13 inch,,,you can use the minimum 9inch quite comfotably laid down ,,but you"l need to clear grass etc. And the opening to 13 inch will allow comfortable adjustment

Going to purchase either a Harris or Deben swivel bipod and can't make up my mind if I should go 6 to 9 or 9 to 13 inches?

Which would you recommend?

I use a Harris 13-27" pod. Ideal for field use and an all rounder as with it fully extended to 27" you can sit. Also comes in handy if you need to shoot over any high crops or long grass. Worth considering but definately stick with a Harris which ever size you go for. Quality mate :good:

ATB,

Pat

I use a Harris 13-27" pod. Ideal for field use and an all rounder as with it fully extended to 27" you can sit. Also comes in handy if you need to shoot over any high crops or long grass. Worth considering but definately stick with a Harris which ever size you go for. Quality mate :good:

ATB,

Pat

Thanks Pat, think Harris leads the way in both build and quality, though feel swayed by the cheaper models..... :hmm:

all depends on your ground, if you lamp from a vehicle then definitely the lower the better, I've a 6-9 and very rarely extend it. Works well on short grassland what you will find is try a 9" and see how easily you can mount the rifle and the answer is you won't lying prone. I have got a much larger one for shooting from a sitting position but that rarely gets put on as i prefer short sticks for that. If you look at the sales section and see how many of the 9" come up versus 6" and it will be an eye opener

think Harris leads the way in both build and quality, though feel swayed by the cheaper models..... :hmm:

If you are not a gun snob and would consider anything else but Harris, have a look at the link. I have Two of these and have found them to be really very good.

They are swivel bipods, attach to the front stud, quick release, and are nice and sturdy. Also way way cheaper than a harris too !!!

:good:

BIPOD LINK

Edited by peek-at

always adjustable, always harris, always swivel, better with the pod lok aftermarket accessory. Actual size depends on your stature (watch a fat bloke try and shoot prone of a 6" pod and you will understand) and the ground you shoot on. i keep two one thats a bit high for normal prone work but good when the grass is up and can be used seated, the other is prone or bench/bonnet etc

If you are not a gun snob and would consider anything else but Harris, have a look at the link. I have Two of these and have found them to be really very good.

They are swivel bipods, attach to the front stud, quick release, and are nice and sturdy. Also way way cheaper than a harris too !!!

BIPOD LINK

Thankyou benn looking for a cheaper one for ages, just ordered one!!!

• 3 weeks later...

BIPOD LINK

I'm not sure where this Gun Snob silliness turned up from.

We all have different requirements, I have 2 Harris of different sizes and they get a LOT of use, they work, they are not rusty, the legs are not all wobbly, the springs work, they don't fall apart and they don't go all floppy.

There can be little argument for not getting a Harris, it will last and it will take a pounding, it will also sell well in the used market so you can always get your money back.

Cheap bipods MAY be ok for occasional use, professionals use Harris for good reason.

...and there is No Way I am a Gun Snob! :good::good:

Edit

...and of the 2 sizes mentioned there is no doubt you will find more use for the 9-13 (I have this one).

2nd Edit

I also have the 12-25, this can be used prone, just about, and also sitting. The 13.5 to 27 would have the edge for me in the sitting position but is a real pain for prone. This general size is really useful for undulating land or when the crops/grass grows a bit!

Edited by Dekers

"2nd Edit

I also have the 12-25, this can be used prone, just about, and also sitting. The 13.5 to 27 would have the edge for me in the sitting position but is a real pain for prone. This general size is really useful for undulating land or when the crops/grass grows a bit! "

I have the Harris 12-25 swivel that I find ideal for exactly the same reasons!I also have a 9-13 but only really use it for zeroing/practice.Most of the time weed/grass height plus the ability to use for kneeling/sitting and prone make the 12-25 ideal,although the shorter bipod is marginally more stable.