Pigeon numbers in your area

old rooster

I've just put a reply on another post about pigeon numbers seen while out and about and wondered whether we could do some sort of national survey using the forum to see what others are finding in their areas?

Maybe one of the people who run this very useful forum would know how best to go about it?

Ideally we would need feedback from people who have been pigeon shooting for long enough to have some idea of the numbers now relative to a few years ago.

I'm extremely concerned about the lack of pigeons around here (South Northants) and have been for some time now.

Just an idea.

I've just put a reply on another post about pigeon numbers seen while out and about and wondered whether we could do some sort of national survey using the forum to see what others are finding in their areas?

Maybe one of the people who run this very useful forum would know how best to go about it?

Ideally we would need feedback from people who have been pigeon shooting for long enough to have some idea of the numbers now relative to a few years ago.

I'm extremely concerned about the lack of pigeons around here (South Northants) and have been for some time now.

Just an idea.

Hi Matey,

Good to see you're still around. :good:

Pigeon numbers in our area, (South Herts), have dropped significantly over the last couple of years, I reckon due to the cold Winters and snow cover.

The birds have simply cleared off, and not come back.

I think they've moved a bit further North, there are plenty around Birmingham, just look at the numbers that Pigeon Controller on this forum shoots..??

I've also noticed quite a few around the Cambridge area, the birds were on the rape there by early November, also I was up there shooting clays last weekend and drove past a field of peas at lunchtime literally blue with birds, of course there was nobody shooting them, (always the way when you're outside of your patch.. :angry: ), around here the peas have been virtually ignored.

There's still plenty around J14 of the M1, every time I drive past there, the air is full of birds..!! :yes:

All the best,

Cat.

I think the milder weather over the last few years has seen the pigeons dispersed into smaller groups, rather than the very large flocks of the past.

Last Winter there were several flocks of 100+ birds on the rape around my area and they were back in smaller groups on the drillings in the Spring.

The milder weather has also given them a wide choice and availability of food throughout the year, which also disperses the birds.

I am shooting about the same numbers throughout the year, but not the big one day bags of the past.

There also appears to be a lot more corvids about now and a lot of my time is taken shooting them.

Its always good when the members that post their bags in Sporting Pictures have filled out their profile, so we can see roughly whereabouts in the country the birds were shot.

On the Oxon/Glos borders pigeons are conforming to their usual habits of smaller groups (30 to 40) feeding in different fields in the summer months, never combining together to give one large flock. I suspect that numbers are roughly the same as in recent years. The first cut of rape will show the true numbers.

I agree with Cat, numbers in my area, NW Herts, seem to have fallen overall in the last few years. This early winter, they were almost non-existant, which I put down to the lack of cold weather on the continent. When Europe did finally get cold birds did arrive, but I was abroad by then. (Damm)

Also, as Cat says, feeding habits seem to have changed here. Peas used to be a dead cert, now they take it or leave it. Beans are so much better drilled these days there are none left on the surface for the pigeons. (I blame the farmers!)I also blame then for poor stubble bags - initially any grain spilt is covered by stalks spread by the chaff-cutters on combines, plus they cultivate the fields 10 minutes after they are cut.

THEN, when the rape is under attack, they call you out, then fire those Intercontinenal Ballistic Missile sized rockets over you and that's that.

It's getting tough!!

Kitchrat

I have seen huge amounts of pigeons in my area over the last few years- if anything they are on the increase. There are always chances of good bags in North Cambs and North West Norfolk.

You LUCKY, LUCKY B*******d to quote The Life of Brian (Monty Python)

Quite the reverse in NW Herts

Kitchrat

Seems to be lots around here this year , they do seem to be changing habits though , I think it was later than ever before the big flocks started to disperse and they also seemed to stay on the rape longer than I can ever remember.