To Catch a Thief

Doc Holliday

After having 2 baby marrows stolen from my plot I'm out to catch the thieving toe rag responsible. The main reason is because I have a good idea of who the culprit is, at least I'm hoping it's who I think it is.

I went in to check on things on Monday evening and saw that one of the baby marrows had been swiped. I phoned the Mrs and asked if she had been up and picked it. She hadn't. So, that only leaves one of the other allotment holders. I checked over the other plants and bits to see if anything else had gone and all seemed to be in order. There was another small marrow coming on on one of the other plants and I thought that would be ready for the end of the week. I went in last night to check on things again to find that that had also been swiped.

Now, I wouldn't begrudge anyone if they came up to me and said 'Can we do a deal...' and we could perhaps trade but to outright steal what isn't theirs is just plain out of order.

I'm thinking of setting up a spy cam in the shed to catch the theiving beggar. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to set up a spy cam that doesn't run off mains power? Seeing as my plot is far removed from any source of electricity I guess my options are limited. Still, I'm goingto have a look on web to see what's about. In the meantime, if anyone can offer some recommendations as to how this can be accomplished I'd sincerely appreciate it.

Edited by Doc Holliday

The only thing I can think of is one of those "trail cameras". Trouble is they are about £150 or more to buy. They run off batteries and take colour photos or video by day and infra-red ones if the marrow-burglar comes at night.

I'm sure someone here will think of a cheaper alternative, or maybe offer to hire/lend you one.

Hope you catch him.

Don't be so quick to blame otger gardeners. :no:

My dad was an allotment holder for over 35 years and held in high reguard with the other chaps and they all came to him for seedlings and problems. There was a spate of small thefts, the odd Swede or Cabbage, but eventually the local migrants found out about the allotments simply hopped the fence and damn near cleared the garden inc breaking into the greenhouses for the tomatoes and cucumbers. The police stopped a group of them with old shopping trolley full of gear. There is no way it all fit in one trolley :angry:

My dad had spent over 35 years in that allotment and hand built the greenhouses and potting sheds and on that day he just lost heart.

That was 6 year ago and he hasn't bothered since :no:

The thing is LG, no one else has anything taken. I've asked. Ok, not all of them but certainly those I did ask have had produce growing nicely which was left alone so I doubt very much it's locals (home ones or foreigners). Plus there's a 7 foot chain link fence around the perimeter with a double row of barbed wire on top so they'd have to be pretty desperate to get in over that for a couple of poxy marrows.

I know how your dad feels as it just deflates your good will toward others. Ok, I could be jumping the gun but I'd be very surpried if I was wrong hence I want to catch them in the act so I have undisputable proof to confront them with.

I've found one camera with a 3 month running time, IR, motion detection, mini screen, etc. £200. Ok, a bit steep and it could be a ****** to hide it as it's not overly 'covert' although it is in a camo design. Here

Edited by Doc Holliday

Those who know St Marys Cottages on the Exeter Road near Dawlish in Devon will know where i`m on about.

About 40 years ago my grandfather grew veg on the grass strip between the houses and the main road. He did this for god knows how many years without any problems, then suddenly bits went missing. It escalated until he`d had enough then overnight chucked it all in.

Remember the days when you could leave your wallet with your lunchbox just chucked on the side at work?

I've found one camera with a 3 month running time, IR, motion detection, mini screen, etc. £200. Ok, a bit steep and it could be a ****** to hide it as it's not overly 'covert' although it is in a camo design. Here

Google "trail cam" here is a search on the shopping section http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trail+cam&hl=en&safe=active&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=nFYJUK6RGMeP0AX96qDaCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBA

Sorry I cant recommend anything but there are cheaper options. I believe you can put sim cards in some and they send you picture messages when they detect anything. Someone will be able to point you towards a good one.

All the best

After having 2 baby marrows stolen from my plot I'm out to catch the thieving toe rag responsible. The main reason is because I have a good idea of who the culprit is, at least I'm hoping it's who I think it is.

I went in to check on things on Monday evening and saw that one of the baby marrows had been swiped. I phoned the Mrs and asked if she had been up and picked it. She hadn't. So, that only leaves one of the other allotment holders. I checked over the other plants and bits to see if anything else had gone and all seemed to be in order. There was another small marrow coming on on one of the other plants and I thought that would be ready for the end of the week. I went in last night to check on things again to find that that had also been swiped.

Now, I wouldn't begrudge anyone if they came up to me and said 'Can we do a deal...' and we could perhaps trade but to outright steal what isn't theirs is just plain out of order.

I'm thinking of setting up a spy cam in the shed to catch the theiving beggar. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to set up a spy cam that doesn't run off mains power? Seeing as my plot is far removed from any source of electricity I guess my options are limited. Still, I'm goingto have a look on web to see what's about. In the meantime, if anyone can offer some recommendations as to how this can be accomplished I'd sincerely appreciate it.

Just had an email from Uttings with some specials on,

hope I've done the clicky link thing right.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/515/101995/hawke-prostalk-3mp-nature-surveillance-camera-pc3000/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Uttings+E-mail+20th+July+2012&utm_content=Uttings+E-mail+20th+July+2012+CID_3dc337252e823e1c3c5e734929638c3c&utm_source=Email+marketing+software&utm_term=Hawke+ProStalk+3MP+Nature+Surveillance+Camera

I'd go along a different route. A decoy marrow with a bit of over the counter emetic injected in to it.

Gibby

how about some of these.... http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_44_47&products_id=2964

Battery powered motion activated wildlife cams would be a good idea if pricey for the value of a marrow, alarm mines are more "fun"

Perhaps you have slugs the size of rabbits.

I think I would have noticed any extraordinary large slime trails in the area, which may or may not be down to slugs the size of rabbits... or women without legs. As the old joke goes, why do women have legs? You've seen the mess slugs leave behind, right?

Well, I emialed the council to report it and ask what their stance on such matters was. As predicted their response was not one of concern.

I have had a look at setting up such a device with car battery, charger, camera, etc., but it could work out to about the same cost as the Spy hunter camera set up. The only problem with the latter is that it is just so bulky.

Thanks for links and offers guys. Will have a look and let you know.

ATB,

Doc.