after a days pigeon shooting

malc57

It is the 'pleasure and the pain' syndrome.

The pleasure is being out looking across wonderful countryside and doing what some of us love best of all - shooting pigeons in the company of our dogs.

The pain, at the end of a good day, is packing up the kit, picking up the dead birds, cartidges and other detritus and then ensuring that the dead birds enter the food chain in the best possible condition. At this time of year I eat quite a few young birds, but the rest I take to a friend who prepares them and sells them into the restaurant trade. That drive, though essential, just about drains my energy reserves.

Soon as I have built my new shed I'll put a chest freezer in it then it's game dealer storage. For now de breast freeze eat and gift to friends playing around with sausages to...http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc391/utectok/FDB138E5-2232-41A3-B37A-5FFD02A7F9BF-730-00000073652598B0.mp4

take to gamedealers same day or lay them out on the back of my truck cover them with hessian wet it with a hose and take to game dealers very next day. usually keep a couple back for rotary or flappers. never chuck them, if i dont get enough worth takeing to dealers i give them away.

I have a smallish chest freezer in the garage that takes 100 or so birds.The odd few go to friends or the spaniel, when it gets to 100 I take them to the game dealer. Most of what I get is used up in fuel getting to the dealers and back, but at least they are put to good use and my conscience is intact.

I have never sold any pigeons.

So you let the birds cool, then put it in a freezer in the feather? How long will it stay fresh enough for the game dealer to take?

And when it's hot and you're shooting for the day, how do you takeI care of of the shot birds if they are going to a dealer?

Do you throw them in a wet hessian bag or do you crate them straight away?

Edited by Cosd

I have never sold any pigeons.

So you let the birds cool, then put it in a freezer in the feather? How long will it stay fresh enough for the game dealer to take?

And when it's hot and you're shooting for the day, how do you takeI care of of the shot birds if they are going to a dealer?

Do you throw them in a wet hessian bag or do you crate them straight away?

What's the problem :hmm:

well were tired and hungry and dont fell like doing pigeons lol i breast them on the farm ,double bag the breast and put in fridge till next day ,cut out meat and wash and de shot them ,then make pies and a lot of mess in the galley , freeze the pies, kids go mad for pigeons and i hand the pies out to friends and family ,we have a PPP week ,petes pigeon pies lol ,i was told to sell them as there that good lol

What's the problem :hmm:

The problem is that most of the pigeons I shoot on a hot day are not fit for human consumption after they have sat as decoys for a few hours in the sun, I certainly wouldn't be putting them into the food chain, yes in the winter not a problem or even those shot in the last hour of a hot day may be ok, the rest are frozen for decoys or given to the local fox population

The problem is that most of the pigeons I shoot on a hot day are not fit for human consumption after they have sat as decoys for a few hours in the sun, I certainly wouldn't be putting them into the food chain, yes in the winter not a problem or even those shot in the last hour of a hot day may be ok, the rest are frozen for decoys or given to the local fox population

If they weren't fit the game dealer would reject them. Peterboro Game for example only pay up once the birds have been processed and deduct for any rejected birds.

I have crowned birds on the field after a hot afternoon and they have been fine.

Fly blown birds are just eggs laid onto the feathers. The incubation period of a fly egg is 24hrs at ambient temperatures, once you lower the temp below 5 degrees they go dormant. The eggs can be plucked off with the feathers and thrown in the bin. Believe me there are plenty of other bugs living in birds feathers other than fly eggs!! Nobody worries about them, maybe because you can't see them?

I put my birds straight into a chiller set at 3 degrees as soon as I come in at night. The game dealer picks them up in a refridgerated van and stores them at his facility in a chiller.

If fly blown birds were such a problem game dealers simply wouldn't deal in any summer shot pigeons, every bird has the potential to be fly blown in just a few minutes.

Mark.