Isle of Man TT video, A-mazing!

-Mongrel-

Well titled it is an amazing video,

I've always wanted to go to the TT but never have, this video has spurned me on.

Any recommendations on accomodation, places to watch from?

I'm guessing it's booked up for next year already? What days would be best to go as I couldn't stay for the whole event?

Cheers :good:

First visit we stayed at the Glen Helen Hotel,which was great,decent food etc,but once the race starts you're locked inside the course.Second week we were in Peel;lovely place,with some good eating and drinking spots,plus if you have people who aren't that intersted in the race they can go and watch the sharks,seals etc.Basically I would choose accomodation outside the course; more room to move about with more options of entertainment during practise/race times.

Well titled it is an amazing video,

I've always wanted to go to the TT but never have, this video has spurned me on.

Any recommendations on accomodation, places to watch from?

I'm guessing it's booked up for next year already? What days would be best to go as I couldn't stay for the whole event?

Cheers :good:

You should manage to get over next year - although it's better to book a year in advance, go on the IOM official bwebsite and send them an e-mail askingthem to send you the "Homestay" list - you then basically go through the list trying to get a room, it's the easiest way to get a place as everybody rents out rooms during the TT - it's like B&B basically.

you also need to contact the IOM steam packet company and book a ferry from either heysham or Liverpool.

I Highly recommend going as the whole week or two is amazing if you are into bikes and there is nowhere like it in the world if you want to "explore" the abilities of your bike....the mountain circuit is phenomenal!!! I can't wait to go back but kids have put it on hold for a while, my friend left for the manx this morning and I was very jelous!

You will get back to the mainland after your stay and 70MPH on the carrieageways feels like you could get off and walk!

Regards,

Gixer

Stay in Douglas it is the start finish of the tt so has most going on and

Means you can attend most stuff have a beer and its not a mission to get home! Well worth watching at sulby straight to get an idea how fast thet can really go ballaugh bridge is fun to watch! Its greAt to watch as you can move around on the island with a bit of navigation and get to see it in a few different spots!! Be warned ferry isnt cheap! Check for deals now ( iom steam packet) my grandparents live on the island and have visited since a nipper, havent been last few years getting a bit to expensive! If it was me go race week and probably mid week - second half more racing to watch, the end!

Have to agree,Douglas is the busy spot,but get it booked early;even as a foot passenger it isn't cheap.We threw a couple of the lads bikes in the back of the 7.5 tonner when we left from Heysham.Looongg boring journey.Mate went back last year and flew;took him about 20 mins I think he said,from Blackpool?

Here's a short video that gives a good feel for the whole event, although sadly missing the Bushys beer tent and late night prom antics.

I have been a few times now, always stayed in Douglas ( hotels ) because it's the centre of the action, but two friends went last year and camped and they said it was a great atmosphere on the camp-site. It's definitely good to go with a bunch of mates at least a couple of which can ride at similar levels to yourself, otherwise you'll end up strung out all over the island.

My top tip is to gear your bike sensibly, although you can hit silly speeds, in reality you'll rarely go over 150 because of other bikes around you and not knowing what's around the next bend, so gear for good acceleration in the 120-145 range and you'll have fun.

150 - 190mph with dry stone walls either side, astonishing, breathtaking, potentially lethal...all of those but exhilirating and life affirming at the same time.

I love doing 140mph on track and 80mph knee down corners, but this is a whole different world. No run off, gravel traps or safety barriers. Insted, you get dry stone walls, bridges, drain covers and white lines...and they are still going flat out!

Respec'!

Edited by -Mongrel-

I used to static marshall in a previous life when Mike Hailwood was riding and I thought that was fast but this film is the nuts!!!!

One of the track Marshalls was killed the week we were there,and a lad I know who competed in the sidecar events every year was done for speeding,and refuses to race there now!

You should manage to get over next year - although it's better to book a year in advance, go on the IOM official bwebsite and send them an e-mail askingthem to send you the "Homestay" list - you then basically go through the list trying to get a room, it's the easiest way to get a place as everybody rents out rooms during the TT - it's like B&B basically.

you also need to contact the IOM steam packet company and book a ferry from either heysham or Liverpool.

I Highly recommend going as the whole week or two is amazing if you are into bikes and there is nowhere like it in the world if you want to "explore" the abilities of your bike....the mountain circuit is phenomenal!!! I can't wait to go back but kids have put it on hold for a while, my friend left for the manx this morning and I was very jelous!

You will get back to the mainland after your stay and 70MPH on the carrieageways feels like you could get off and walk!

Regards,

Gixer

Gixer!!!!!

You have been there and done it in style, and have loads of pictures.

Thats the pictures your kids will want to see.

Not the "this is what he was doing when he died" pictures!!!!!

You have nothing left to prove,be thankfull you came out the other end with great memories.

:good: :good: :good: