pigeon cartridges

Scot The Sniper

exactly. i had it out with someone at hull cartridge and they told me that the rfd does'nt make much on shells. yeah right. anyway i now use fiocchi top 1. 7&1/2 through three quarter choke and they kill perfectly.{hoping not to start an old thread again}. they are £38. i only get 30p a pigeon or the game dealer so cannot afford the 'pigeon load'. :)

exactly. i had it out with someone at hull cartridge and they told me that the rfd does'nt make much on shells. yeah right. anyway i now use fiocchi top 1. 7&1/2 through three quarter choke and they kill perfectly.{hoping not to start an old thread again}. they are £38. i only get 30p a pigeon or the game dealer so cannot afford the 'pigeon load'. :)

each to there own i prefer 6,s but thats me

well thats 5p more per bird than we get from the game dealers round our way so the extra you pay for shells you get back on the birds ;)

Eley 30 / 32 gr 6`s or Gamebore 30 / 32 gr 6`s Plastic if the farmer allows it otherwise Fibre with 1/4 & 1/2 chokes or some times skeet / 1/4 chokes depends on how they are decoying in at the range off.

GL with what ever U use and if they work just stick with them :) No matter what make / type you use so long as you shoot them at the right distance and accuratly you will bring them down.

7.5 do work on pigeons AT SENSIBLE RANGES...

I don't use them as I prefer to shoot longer birds.

I wholeheartedly agree, about 25 years ago when I was a young lad, my father shot a left and right at greylag geese (this will sound improbable!) with, and I kid you not, 24g Hawkbest 7.5s through his 20 bore beretta 687 which I now use for game. If you aim for a head shot and it's at a sensible range you will achieve a clean kill regardless of quarry.

Hi chaps

I have been shooting pigeons for many years ( like many others on here) with many different cartridges. Just now i am using Eley Olympics 28g no 7.5 combined with 1/2 & 3/4 choke in my Browning . If you are confident in your own shooting , you recognize that you don't need heavy game shells to bring down pigeons. I set my decoys out in such a way that most of my shots are between 20 & 30 yards from my hide, and my cartridge & choke combination is more than able to do the job.

ive shot pigeons with cartridges from 24g 8's to 32g 5's and havnt had a problem if you keep to a range appropriate for the cartridge

i think it was yesterday or the day before i shot a pigeon with a 28g 7.5 Eley VIP and when i paced it out it was 65 yards from the hide and it dropped stone dead. now this is not a shot i would take all day every day but i saw the bird flying through the trees and kept my eye on in til i got a clear view of it and i wasnt expecting it to be so far away but it just goes to show they are absolutely fine for decoying ranges