Is shooting over stubble illegal

magoo the noo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it not be the case that under the general licence you can shoot vermin to protect crops.

If the crops aren't there anymore then there could be a point.

Not sure, just speculating :hmm:

You are all good to shoot over stuble as you are still protecting crops just in other fields as just becouse they are on the stuble they are still damaging other crops so you are still shooting for crop protection.

• 10 years later...
16 hours ago, marsh man said:

A rumon we are still talking about the same subject ten years later , still not a lot wiser and still asking the same questions 

Because the GL’s are full of grey areas and contradictions.

bit like this part taken from the ‘position statement issued by Defra’ when they first released the new GL’s in 2019.

the first part seems to rule out roost shooting because I have no idea of the “likelihood” that the pigeons I am shooting will be doing serious damage tomorrow.

But then the second part tells me that from experience serious damage is likely if I dont take action?.

So how do you read this??

13. What does ‘serious damage’ mean?

There are two aspects to serious damage: the likelihood and the extent of damage. On

likelihood, it would not be considered serious damage if there is just a chance of

damage.

If damage is not yet apparent, past experience or other evidence should

indicate that there is a high probability of serious damage occurring if action is not taken.

On extent, it should concern serious damage to an economic interest, so it does not

cover circumstances such as mere nuisance.

Edited by old'un

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You just get on and shoot Wood Pigeons!

We were all doing that way before ( most ) of us even realised they had a G L in the first place , now we all know , or should know then we have to be on our guard as this here Grey area don't get that much clearer .

Got to go Dave , as I am now going to try to do exactly that  :good:

On 03/07/2023 at 10:14, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You just get on and shoot Wood Pigeons!

I wish, I wish. Sweet Fanny Adams for a long while on my permissions just North of Bristol. Harvest time soon so fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

I wish, I wish. Sweet Fanny Adams for a long while on my permissions just North of Bristol. Harvest time soon so fingers crossed.

I am south Bristol and for the first time we have large numbers of pigeon.

Hi the same questions and uncertainty about killing pigeons 10years on. We have the GL42 it’s issued by the Secretary of State (to prevent serious damage) .That’s the only reason it can be relied on in a court of law. 
in the late 90s it was the open general licence issued by the department of the environment, transport and regions for England,under the 1981 wildlife and countryside act, different departments for the rest of the country. Not many people new of the license, just thought pigeon were to be shot anywhere anytime. A lot of shooters still think like this and there is the problem. 
The police may not know of the General Licence but if they receive a report about firearms they will investigate. It will be the cps and wild Justice lawyers that will know the law . We have a licence and we don’t have to apply for it, as often said we don’t know were we were born. All the questions seem to be about the conditions of the licences and not the reason for using the licence. If the licences have any grey areas or loopholes wild Justice would be challenging them in court. Even BASC wrote of the grey areas of the old licences in the BASC magazine’s , that would have been the time to change them before wild justice were even thought of.