Pigs to slaughter

silver pigeon 3

Just returned from taking my first 2 pigs to slaughter, wow what a amazing but sobering feeling!!

I was awake at about 2am worrying about the deed, and then had fitful sleep until the alarm at 6.30. After a bit of breakfast we headed up to the field and said fond farewells to the pigs that were due to go.

These pigs were tamworth/old spot and were the friendliest pigs i have ever come across, the one was like a dog and would seek out a chin rub or belly scratch at any opportunity.

We managed to get them in the trailer a lot easier than imagined and set off for the slaughter house. on arrival it was quiet so we got them into a pen and then we were asked if we would like to see them through the process as the guys there knew that they were our first ones and we were slightly worried about it.

We both agreed that we would like to and donned the whites. Soon after we moved our pigs into the room where they get stunned and it was truly amazing how quick and efficient the slaughter man was.

They then went through a plastic door and we followed them to where they were bled out, it was weird to see them still twitching as they were bled, but i knew that this was just muscle spasms and they were completely unaware of anything.

We then stayed and watched them bathed, gutted and inspected by the ministry chap, who commented on what good condition they were. On leaving the vet who inspected them as they were unloaded also said how good they looked.

Like i said a very sobering thing to do and see, but i feel important and i would not hesitate in saying perhaps everybody should see it as it would make them feel differently about the meat we all eat.

I left feeling happy that we have done the pigs proud, and looking forward to 3 weeks time when the next ones will go.

Just returned from taking my first 2 pigs to slaughter, wow what a amazing but sobering feeling!!

I was awake at about 2am worrying about the deed, and then had fitful sleep until the alarm at 6.30. After a bit of breakfast we headed up to the field and said fond farewells to the pigs that were due to go.

These pigs were tamworth/old spot and were the friendliest pigs i have ever come across, the one was like a dog and would seek out a chin rub or belly scratch at any opportunity.

We managed to get them in the trailer a lot easier than imagined and set off for the slaughter house. on arrival it was quiet so we got them into a pen and then we were asked if we would like to see them through the process as the guys there knew that they were our first ones and we were slightly worried about it.

We both agreed that we would like to and donned the whites. Soon after we moved our pigs into the room where they get stunned and it was truly amazing how quick and efficient the slaughter man was.

They then went through a plastic door and we followed them to where they were bled out, it was weird to see them still twitching as they were bled, but i knew that this was just muscle spasms and they were completely unaware of anything.

We then stayed and watched them bathed, gutted and inspected by the ministry chap, who commented on what good condition they were. On leaving the vet who inspected them as they were unloaded also said how good they looked.

Like i said a very sobering thing to do and see, but i feel important and i would not hesitate in saying perhaps everybody should see it as it would make them feel differently about the meat we all eat.

I left feeling happy that we have done the pigs proud, and looking forward to 3 weeks time when the next ones will go.

have to agree, having done turkeys and seeing the waste on xmas day it's maddening

sounds like you had made a good job of them and they had a happy life, something to be proud of :good:

have to agree, having done turkeys and seeing the waste on xmas day it's maddening

sounds like you had made a good job of them and they had a happy life, something to be proud of :good:

I too hate to see the amount of good food that goes to waste around xmas. I now take off the crown of the bird for roasting, debone and stuff the legs and thighs and mince any other bits for inclusion in the stuffing. That way it all gets used over the space of a few days.

Well done, I too think more people should see what happens and perhaps they may gain more respect for their food from it.

I imagine i would feel the same way as you did if I had to send anything to slaughter, especially if they were as tame as you describe but it also highlights that your animals had a good and happy life and were treated decently right up until the last moment.

It sounds like an eye opening morning, we grew up with sheep at home and each year lambs went to slaughter. Its good experience about how things work and far better than the sanitized view most people have these days. Keep thinking I ought to get some more now I've pretty much got time for it.

I am pleased that you had the guts to go in and see the deed done I must say that it dose worry me what goes on when there are no outsiders watching what is going on if it was me I would plum to see it every time at least then I would now that it was done properly.

In the same way I have always insisted on holding my dogs when they have to be put to sleep by the vet at the end to prevent further suffering and although it is a very sad time it also feels good to now that you have done your best to give them a good life and a good end.

I do think that all children between the age of 14 to 16 should be taken on school trips to see where meat comes from it annoys me so much when you see people who buy the cheapest chickens etc in the supermarket without a care about animal welfare but would not have the guts to go and see an animal killed.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

The slaughter house we use is a small family run one, so i hope and expect high standards to be maintained whether anyone is watching or not.

We will also have lambs going later in the year, but these won't have the same emotional attachment as these paticular pigs. Even the pigs that are left i don't have the same attachment too, the ones just gone were special as they were my first.

I agree that kids should be aware of where meat comes from and how it turns into food. It was interesting to see at which point they changed from animals to food during the process, for me it was as they emerged from the scalding bath, they went in as pigs but came out as pork!

Don't worry about feeling guilty it just shows your human and care about the welfare of your animals.

The worst bit was even as we led them into the room to be stunned, the one was trying to rub against my leg, i did give it one last chin rub :sad1:

But they were always heading to slaughter and roll on Friday when we go up to help butcher them.

I have been to a slaughterhouse. While it didn't look particularly nice, the animals were all killed humanely. It does make you feel differently about eating meat. And after seeing the slaughter process, it is annoying to see some meat go to waste at dinnertime.

Today, many people have become detached from where their meat comes from.

And if I decided to keep my own animals for meat, I wouldn't treat them like pets. That way you don't get attached to them, and it's easier to send them to slaughter when the time comes.

Well done,and good for you.Have been through this process many times,and for about 6 months worked at a chicken processing plant.Bit of an eye opener but the numbers involved were staggering.It would do everyone good to see for themselves where their food comes from and what happens to it between the farm and dinner table.

good on you for watching the whole process. we have had 10 pigs in total now, all bought as weaners and and fattened up over the summer and slaughtered here at home. i find the whole process very rewarding. to know that the animal has been looked after and treated very well from the day it arrived to the day it comes out of the oven is very satisfying.

And if I decided to keep my own animals for meat, I wouldn't treat them like pets. That way you don't get attached to them, and it's easier to send them to slaughter when the time comes.

These were not treated as pets, but an animal you feed and attend to twice a day you do form some kind of attachment too. I am glad that i felt some guilt when there time came, as it made me question all of it and i can honestly say that looking back i would do nothing differently :good:

Scully, Aister :good:

One think you will notice is the vast difference to the taste of the pork, its like comparing chalk and cheese.

I butchered some a few weeks ago for one of my permissions also some lamb, the difference is amazing.

We have put an order in for one from the next batch he raises.

If you shoot your own Deer or can get hold of some and make your own sausage i have a nice recipe for pork and venison sausage :good:

These were not treated as pets, but an animal you feed and attend to twice a day you do form some kind of attachment too. I am glad that i felt some guilt when there time came, as it made me question all of it and i can honestly say that looking back i would do nothing differently :good:

Scully, Aister :good:

In my years in the slaughter houses i`ve seen alot of people go in and watch the process. Some like yourselves found it an interesting experience some came out the door faster than Usain Bolt out of the blocks!!

Mate the whole set up was and is personal and whilst (of course) they never were and never will be pets it doesn't mean that you don't feel an emotional attachment to something you have invested so much time and money in. Having seen the OPs animals and where they are kept, and in such good conditions, it's great that an unused patch of land can be turned over to something positive.

Let me know when the piglets arrive and I'll bring the boy up again!

Well done mate. :good:

I love keeping pigs, one of my saddle backs is so friendly. If you rub her chin she slowly drops to the ground to have her belly rubbed. I always feel sad taking them to slaughter, but that is why I have them. I would say if you don't get attached if you are keeping low numbers, you should not have them. My next ones including the friendliest pig I have ever had go in about 2 weeks.

Cheers for all the comments gents :good:

Rimfire, Saddlebacks are one of the pig breeds i would like to keep, i am struggling to find any around my neck of the woods though. Are they a "fatty" pig like the old spot?

Thunderbird, we are just deciding whether to do any more this year as the land probably could do with a rest. We still have 6 up there at the minute and the lambs. The eating chickens are also due to go in the next week or so. You are welcome whenever mate.