JAY'S.

miroku moocher

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are jays shot''''being on the shootable quarry list is the answer realy.'' jays are said to predate game bird eggs and chicks. this is why they are shootable quarry. i personaly think jays impact on game birds is negligable. song birds and woodland birds however are affected by jays . even the humble woodie is regularly nest robbed by jay's.

il second that, as nice as they look the dont half make life hard for the song birds.

il second that, as nice as they look the dont half make life hard for the song birds.

their plumage certainly endears them to many, however, they'll eat other birds eggs including game birds. I've seen them leaving the scene when disturbed, only to find another raided and ruined pheasant clutch.

This large influx of Jays has happened before, in the mid 70's we had a Winter when the Acorn crop in Scandanavia was very poor and they came over here in their thousands, I do remember that they were even more daft than the resident Jay population, and had very little fear of humans, which cost many of them dear.

Most have made a wasted sea crossing, as the acorn crop here is non-existent this year, (in my area), which is good news for us Pigeon shooters, as the birds have already started on the rape, last year they virtually ignored it all Winter due to the quantity of acorns and other berries available.

Cat.

This large influx of Jays has happened before, in the mid 70's we had a Winter when the Acorn crop in Scandanavia was very poor and they came over here in their thousands, I do remember that they were even more daft than the resident Jay population, and had very little fear of humans, which cost many of them dear.

Most have made a wasted sea crossing, as the acorn crop here is non-existent this year, (in my area), which is good news for us Pigeon shooters, as the birds have already started on the rape, last year they virtually ignored it all Winter due to the quantity of acorns and other berries available.

Cat.

same here in leicestershire, last years acorn crop was plentifull this years its non existant, the pigeons have flocked up already and are hammering the barley thats still standing due the ground being so wet the farmers carnt combine it. there is also a noticable increase in jays aswell

• 3 weeks later...

i have had 3 in our garden in last few days all at same time i was going to shoot them with my 177 then thought they might be protected because i didnt reconise them

So you were going to shoot them, even though you didn't know what they were, until you realised they might be protected ?

I despair.

why are jays shot''''being on the shootable quarry list is the answer realy.''

Reckon you're right.

Have only shot one,but heard many more.Some folk don't like to shoot them as they are claimed to plant a lot of Oaks by forgetting where they have buried acorns.But as our shoot owner says;'I plant a lot of Oaks also'.Fair enough.I always give the wings to a mate for fly-tying.

That's why I chose to leave them alone this year, even though they were falling into squirrel cage traps. Jays do a great job at planting acorns.