FAC and a Conviction

Patrick1

Hi all, I have a quick question, I am thinking of applying for my FAC soon, however I do have a conviction for "In Charge Whilst Unfit Through Drink" a DR50 and IN14 on my driving licence, I got 10pts and £650 fine. Apart from that nothing else, good health no problems like that. Will they see me as unfit and not issue me a FAC with that conviction? All advice greatly appreciated.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be honest put it on the form and hope that they see you have changed your ways and it was a one off...........it depends how long ago it was as long as you are not a "prohibited person" you can apply and only the FLO/Chief constable make the decision.

When was it but to fair ,don't put a deposit on any guns hope I'm wrong ,as people have said ring and ask

I dont see the point in ringing, can someone explain? IF not "prohibited person" then surely the best thing to do is apply they arent going to run all the checks unless you apply, the easiest thing for them to do if you ring is advise against applying. Unless you apply you will never know..... Fill out the form get the counter signatory, have the photos taken and send it off (assuming you have good reason etc).

What will you be applying for and why?

Also if you applydo they look at cautions etc?

yep, everything even "spent" convictions, arrests, associates, complaints, every contact you or your household have had with the police and you have to put them all down on the form including speeding etc from day one!

would just be looking for a .22 bolt action rifle for target practice, and maybe one of those .22 long barrelled pistols, theres quite a few clubs local to me that does both them disciplines, it was nearly two years ago. Also if you applydo they look at cautions etc?

Ah so you'll need to do you probationary period at a club then best do some research..... Most require 6 months membership before you can apply for a certificate for target shooting

Time is always the big issue in any case like this. The longer ago that it was, and the more that you can show you are a well-adjusted and responsible person, the better.

I know someone who, at the age of 18, got a GBH conviction. At 27, married, professional job, settled, sensible, he has recently got his first FAC

I also know of another person who applied for a SGC. Unfortunately, he 'forgot' to put on his application that he was convicted for assaulting a police officer 15 years before. To the police, that was attempting to hide something, and he was turned down.

You must put any and all convictions down. You do NOT need to put any cautions down. However, any cautions, complaints, or any other contact with the police will be on record, and will be noted for your application.

As an example, where I used to work, I was a keyholder. When there was a breakin, I was called in to work by the police for dealing with the alarm, and to give statements, etc. When I applied for my SGC, the fact that a burglary was recorded next to my name led to police wanting extra security at my home, until I explained that the burglary happened 20 miles from home.

Oh, if you aren't already a member of a target shooting club, then you have almost no chance of getting a FAC for target shooting. They want to see you being accepted as a member, going through the probationary membership, and being accepted as a full member. The club will also ask the police about you as part of your membership application

Time is always the big issue in any case like this. The longer ago that it was, and the more that you can show you are a well-adjusted and responsible person, the better.

I know someone who, at the age of 18, got a GBH conviction. At 27, married, professional job, settled, sensible, he has recently got his first FAC

I also know of another person who applied for a SGC. Unfortunately, he 'forgot' to put on his application that he was convicted for assaulting a police officer 15 years before. To the police, that was attempting to hide something, and he was turned down.

You must put any and all convictions down. You do NOT need to put any cautions down. However, any cautions, complaints, or any other contact with the police will be on record, and will be noted for your application.

As an example, where I used to work, I was a keyholder. When there was a breakin, I was called in to work by the police for dealing with the alarm, and to give statements, etc. When I applied for my SGC, the fact that a burglary was recorded next to my name led to police wanting extra security at my home, until I explained that the burglary happened 20 miles from home.

Oh, if you aren't already a member of a target shooting club, then you have almost no chance of getting a FAC for target shooting. They want to see you being accepted as a member, going through the probationary membership, and being accepted as a full member. The club will also ask the police about you as part of your membership application

The police should not be giving information on any individual to any cub. I am not even sure if that would be legal.

The police should not be giving information on any individual to any cub. I am not even sure if that would be legal.

I'll happily be corrected if wrong, but I always thought one of the requirements for being a Home Office registered club was that all prospective members/members were 'checked', whether applying for FACs or not

would just be looking for a .22 bolt action rifle for target practice, and maybe one of those .22 long barrelled pistols, theres quite a few clubs local to me that does both them disciplines, it was nearly two years ago. Also if you applydo they look at cautions etc?

Whatever the situation with any previous police convictions, you are not going to get a FAC without land for field work and/or being a member of a suitable club.

The easiest way for most is to join a club, any Home Office Approved club will also ask you to complete a section 21 declaration, and may also ask you for your full history, this is to help them decide if you are suitable for club membership, there decision is there decision.