ultra xs prestige vs b725

altnipper

Hi, I wanted peoples opinions I'm upgrading my gun, I've got an old faithful B325. My budget is reasonable, I like Brownings, Berettas feel chunky to me so I'm looking either at a b725 or ultra xs prestige - I wondered anyone who has these guns what they think of them? I'm erring towards the ultra xs as its got nicer wood, don't think there are higher grade wood options for the 725? I always have trouble seeing what the differences are in a brands ranges, a lot of the guns available seem to look similar to me, also the xs is obviously more expensive but why beyond the wood or is it just the wood?

Thanks

Funny enough shot 725 last weekend,shot and felt v nice...did not feel to me like a browning though??...nought wrong with your 325 either.......I would go Ultra xs over 725.

The only beretta which feels chunky is dt10.the 682/687s feel slim to me...but like you for 12g prefer Browning type.How about Prestige/heritage or Miroku president if budget ok?

Im on my second XS, present one is the Prestige Titanium, love it, nice wood, balanced nicely, just an all round nice gun, mines the 32" version

I find the Brownings fit my hands better,

cant see where you think the Beretta's are chunky though, they are too slim in the grip and action for me,

The 725 is a compromise between the 2, slimmer than the XS but not as bad as the Beretta

Beretta's have always felt like a womans gun :yp: unless you're going for the DT or SO serres which are chunkier

:shaun:

I have a 725 Sporter & brother in law a XS Titanium.

XS feels stable & solid like an old Browning 725 is stable but best part of a pound lighter (or feels it) with less weight in the leading hand. XS looks nicer with it's better wood.

Both shoot well. Both of ours are 30" but from what I can rememnber the 32" XS felt nicer than the 30" when tried back to back.

thanks, I think I got the impression about Berettas as a friend used to have one about 15 years ago and I had my 325 it just felt chunky (maybe chunky wrong word, blocky?) and like it had come straight out of the box, never felt like it had been worked/shot in, maybe just in my mind - I think also I tried out the dt11 a few weeks ago and that just reinforced it as that felt really chunky.

Not sure about the ds chokes - I have my 325 teague choked and got 10 of them so ideally next gun would fit them, 725 wouldn't but not crucial (I'm keeping my 325 as had it for a long time) I clean my gun after every time i shoot so don't really care about **** building up on the chokes, suppose thing is if patterns are that much better - I haven't found any evidence of this, as ever though good patterns are a mix of things.

Poorpeet is the xs lighter? I thought it was heavier? picked up a 725 the other day and it felt really light compared to my 325 now.

Now sure about 32inch, never shot one, gues with extended chokes will be 33inch in reality, I like heavier guns though. Think I'm going to go down to Ladds and try them out at some point, seem to have the cheapest prices too.

Edited by altnipper

i have an XS and my brother in law (poorpete) has a 725 sporter.the XS is a quality finished gun and feels better balanced,the wood is superior to a 725.

The 725 feels built to a budget to me,unlike an XS.The XS is a heavier gun but you don't feel it in the hand.

I had tried a 32" prestige version and against the Ultrs XS with midas chokes the 32" prestige felt better,but for me the 30" presitge feels better than a 32" prestige

I have an adj comb and an after market ISIS adj butt pad so the gun fits me very well,my scores have shot up and I now adv 75% scores with clays.

I paid £1750 for mine which is a total bargin for the quality.

i was seriously considering a Perazzi until I tried the XS.

Edited by retromlc

Go with the XS - its a fine gun, find one with nice wood and it will hold its value well too. I've only shot one gun that felt even better and that option is also over 3 times the price more. A 'well informed source' suggested that Browning will eventually move the 725 upmarket with better wood/engraving/adjustable comb and if I was thinking of buying a 725 then sitting on the proverbial fence for a while would be wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a new b725 sporter on a round of clays, loved it, I have ordered one of the prestige versions which are due out early next year. I am trading in my beretta DT10 to get one, in my opinion they shoot that well!

I have owned a 425 and have a 525 on loan at the moment. Main prob for me with the 525 is the sharp comb, think the XS has an adjustable one which may be better. I find this hits my cheek after a while whereas the 725 has a broader comb like beretta and is way more comfortable. Also the trigger pulls are beautiful on the 725 way better than the 525, believe this is due to them being mechanical not inertia. I would liken the 725 to somewhere between the DT10 and a 682 gold E. but with the lovely browning action. Go to a ground and try one before you part with your cash, hope this helps.

Will agree with that about miroku, always seem like a great looking gun for the money, mk38 grade 5 is my pick of the bunch. Lovely engraving and generally stunning wood. All for about £2500, they always look worth way more when you see then out and about. Only small downside is they don't come with much else, eg. No case, but with the money you save over a browning you could buy a nice one. With regard to the barrels think you will find that the browning sporters have vents between the two barrels whereas the miroku does not. How much difference this makes to the likes of us who knows, it may be a big thing for say Wilson or Faulds but not for me.

• 3 years later...

I don't own either of these but Iv'e tried a good few. The 725s are too light and feel cheap, clunky and thrown together. Many of the people I know who bought them have moved on, usually fairly quickly. The XS Prestige is just miles better and is the only Browning I'd ever consider for sporting clays.

Im on my second XS, present one is the Prestige Titanium, love it, nice wood, balanced nicely, just an all round nice gun, mines the 32" version

I find the Brownings fit my hands better,

cant see where you think the Beretta's are chunky though, they are too slim in the grip and action for me,

The 725 is a compromise between the 2, slimmer than the XS but not as bad as the Beretta

Beretta's have always felt like a womans gun ph34r.png unless you're going for the DT or SO serres which are chunkier

Although this thread is 3 1/2 years old I feel I can add something further,

I have since sold my Prestige and bought my original Ultra XS back,

Reason.......I found the 32" barrels too much for me, If I had bought the 30" I would have probably kept it, but saw my original gun back up for sale so bought it back,

Still a Browning fan over Beretta though

I own an XS and love it. Tried a 725 when the missus was after a gun and noticed the palm swell was very different. I don't think the 725 is as well built as the XS (and the missus bought an XS as well)and there were manufacturing issues with them when they first came out. The proofing stamp interfered with the lock up. I also have a friend who bought one and found the jeweling compromised very badly on one side due to barrel to stock fit.

I thought the XS was not getting made anymore but could be wrong. I don't know any unhappy XS owners