Should we bring back hanging?

Asa Bear

I am in no doubt that there are many evil people on this planet,and indeed in this country,who don't,in my opinion,deserve to live,and a few I would be glad to hear had passed away in extreme agony.I would go so far as to say that some should be put to death in as an unpleasant manner as possible,and sitting here in my warm house,listening to the radio and 'working' from home,can uncatergorically state that I would be willing to do the deed.But,if I were given the choice,and told to report to a place of execution where I could administer the means of said persons death,could I actually go through with it?Could I live with myself afterwards?Would it haunt me,even if I was convinced it was the right thing to do?Who am I to play this deciding factor in someones life?What sort of person would it make me?

As a Father I had Ian Huntley in mind when typing this,but Ruth Ellis always springs to mine whenever this topic crops up.

I'm all for it,so long as I don't have to make the decision.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has already been said, this is a pointless discussion. When the British government of the day voted to abolish the death penalty, it also voted separately to set aside the right to any future reintroduction.

That notwithstanding, it would also be illegal under European law.

Furthermore, it's the case that research and statistics evidence that the death penalty was never an effective dererrent to the commission of capital offences. While it was available, British courts also sent to their deaths a goodly number of innocent men and women. It's a bit difficult to correct a miscarriage of justice after execution has been carried out.

I think it's the case that after he retired, Albert Pierrepoint, Britain's last executioner, allegedly became opposed to the death penalty.

I'm a little surprised by the NO response.

If someone is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt and the crime is so appalling why does it merit a continuance of the Criminals life?

Does the Moors murderer and the grieving mother Mrs Johnson, not affect us?

I appreciate there were many sad and tragic cases of wrongful imprisonment - Stephan Kisco and many others.

If we have a judicial system which can deliver a correct verdict in murder it follows that there is no doubt - any doubt would precipitate a life sentence.

As for human rights, have the victims and prospective victims not the same rights?

I am not after revenge but retribution, terrible and swift - as for costing more than a lifetime in prison, I fear that sum must have been done by someone on expenses.

For people who kill animals for sport there and I am one, the moral compass seems strangely skewed. - Just MHO.

If someone is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt and the crime is so appalling why does it merit a continuance of the Criminals life?

I appreciate there were many sad and tragic cases of wrongful imprisonment - Stephan Kisco and many others.

If we have a judicial system which can deliver a correct verdict in murder it follows that there is no doubt - any doubt would precipitate a life sentence.

As for human rights, have the victims and prospective victims not the same rights?

I am not after revenge but retribution, terrible and swift - as for costing more than a lifetime in prison, I fear that sum must have been done by someone on expenses.

For people who kill animals for sport there and I am one, the moral compass seems strangely skewed. - Just MHO.

But do we have a judicial system that can deliver a correct verdict? I don't think we can to the extent it needs to be if you are going to kill somebody on the back of it. Who's call is it to answer the question "is there any doubt?" The judge? Really?

http://www.coventryt...92746-32183216/

This happened only yards from my home. I have two boys aged 14 (Saturday) & 15 years and it has truly shocked us all. I have just come back to bed after settling my youngest after nightmares I'm sure are connected to this.

Things like this excuse of a man offer nothing to our society. Why should they be allowed to live?

Should we bring back hanging.. or captital punishment ?

Yes.... as long as it can be proven ABSOLUTELY that the person being executed was guilty of the crime....

problem is it is impossible to be ABSOLUTELY certain unless the accused admits guilt (and even then you don't know if you are dealing with a loon!) and admission of guilt would bring with it a commutation of sentence..

sooooooo...

In a perfect world... yes.... but our world is anything but perfect...

Murder to justify murder? Its good to see irony at its best.

This is the best reply yet.

Until our judicial system can be fixed so its 100% correct each and every time it would be absolutely immoral.Too many people have been convicted of various crimes then years later found the police done them up like a kipper.Barry George springs to mind who was convicted of Jill Dandos murder.Yep,he was an oddball,but being strange isnt an automatic sign of guilt.

Anyway,capital punishment thankfully is reigned to the history books and wont ever come back.

Edited by Imperfection

I know!!!! Exciting isn't it? Prison gay is like Navy (or oil rig) gay, doesn't count :whistling:

So do the ladyboys go to boy prison or girl prison?

Can feel a bit of 'muleing' comming on if it's the former... oops sorry mr Thai customs officer... what's that, 200 grams of cocain... i don't know where that came from..... my suitcase..... well... I never.... so..... where's this prison then?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have a problem with retributive justice. That is what is signfied by the scales of justice. I just don't think execution delivers adquate retribution in many cases. I supose we could lock them up until they repent and then execute them. 25 years with the stretch at the end.

But I think it is increasingly hard to deliver fair trials in this information age. Wall-to-wall television news, incessant internet chatter, tabloid pontificators and millions of uninformed experts conspire to try and judge defendants in high profile cases before they've entered the courtroom. We are very bad at suspending judgement on peculiar people before the facts are known and very good at bestowing human rights on self-avowed terrorists. That is not a good climate for the reintroduction of capital punishment.

Edited by Gimlet

My partners sister was murdered, she thinks we should have C.P, it's easy to be against it until one of your family is a victim, then its a whole different ball game. So a yes from me>

The whole point of justice is that it is to be without emotion. Making a decision based on terrible events close to home cannot fulfil the requirements of justice.

Love some of the unthinking answers here, "an eye for an eye!" one screams, yeah ok, he raped a boy are you willing to rape him?

Henry, for someone who is intelligent this response must be a low point lets hope you raise your game after this.