Mink.

Muggins.

True story..... I was mackerel fishing on the S Devon coast and things were getting hectic. As I was spinning, the caught mackerel were being dropped quickly in a small rockpool behind me so I could carry on fishing. Things had been deadly slow for a couple of hours so I wanted to make the most of the shoal. Soon enough they disappeared, chasing their prey to the next bay, time to kill and clean my fish. Only problem was two out of four had vanished, I looked around thinking they may have flipped themselves away but no sign?? It was then I noticed a movement in the rocks, crouching I froze and within seconds a snakey mink started after the other fish. Hed been stashing them in a crevice in the rock! I shouted at him as he scarpered back to his cave with the third fish. On closer inspection all I could see in the shadows were his devilish eyes glowering back at me. I managed to rout him from his lair in the rocks with the rod tip. He shot out and was away in a flash. I left him two of the fish as a mark of respect, after all he was only being opportunist. I was fishing for fun, he was trying to survive. I must admit I have a sneaking respect for mink, bold and fearless, true hunters....nice photo by the way :good:

In the year 2000 I climbed a willow tree alongside a brook near Cirencester to see what fish I could spy. At the bottom of the pollarded branches in the treee a mallard duck was sitting on eggs. She showed no fear of me - she wouldn't as she was stone dead with a single bite mark behind her head.

When I got down the tree I looked inside some of the holes in the gnarled trunk and I could see a stock dove upside down. I reached in as far as my arm would go and was suddenly bitten. I pulled my arm out as quickly as I could and was soon face to face with a mink with it's teeth still in my finger. The creature did soon let go thankfully and I was left with a very torn and bloody finger. I am looking at the scar as I write this.

Cirencester hospital was only a few minutes away and I went there for a tetanus jab which proved to be almost as painful as the bite.

• 3 weeks later...

Once while pike fishing the leeds liverpool canal I had a 5 pounder I got on my front to chin the pike from the canal as it was a 3 foot drop from the towpath to the waters surface I leaned down and chinned the pike and I looked forwards at the embankment and a mink was face to face with me (bout 6 inch away) looking me straight in the eye out of a hole in the embankment I sharted myself lol.

Edited by archiebald

See a few around the brooks and lakes around here. When I used to fish a lake for carp we new the mink had moved in the rats had moved out. Seen them Chase squizzers up the trees too.

Destroy on sight, horrible creatures that have no place in out countryside.

Karpman