State school vs private school

gixer1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have sent my two to private school if I could have afforded it.

Some of my friends went to private school and they got a better education than I did, the teachers seemed to try harder with them.

Most of mine couldn't give a toss about you, just a job to them and that school was always one of the best. Some kids excelled and would have even if they had stayed home, real book worm types. Most of us need a firmer hand and encouragement to learn the mind numbing boring stuff.

I don't think league tables give the best results as some teacher friends said schools become blinkered, making sure they are kept up or bettered but this energy only goes into the areas needed to score well rather than across the board.

Figgy

if you go private go for a top rate one, 2nd rate ones tend to breed arrogance. I'm a state school lad and mrs went to roedean. I know she had more fun and made better contacts than me. Private education is about who is your littlun going to sit next to & grow up with as much as education.

Edited by Chr15j

I went to a high school that no one from my primary school went to (I went to the primary school my mum taught at, went to my local high school). The school was very good 14th in the country the year I left, I must say I think alot of the time it is due to the catchment area as much as the school that gives a school good results, alot at my school where doctors children and university lectures children due to the area. So what I would say is going to a school where you didn't know anyone, fine, first few weeks I hung around with others who where the only ones from their school, then I found the people that I really got on with! However, getting the bus to school, letting youself in etc. compared to being to and fro by a parent, I felt a lot more grown-up, remember they will be at high school till at least 16 or older if there is a 6th, will they really want to be relying on you for a lift then? And to be honest I think a school that is in the top 50 will serve anyone fine if they apply themselves.

We live in an area that has some of the best grammar schools in the county, and the 11+ still exists.

Despite the wealth in the area most parents fight to get their kids into these, so that should tell you something.

As others have said that is only part of the story, Dunkield Jnr smashed his 11+ so went to the school of his choice, once there it became apparent he had gone from being top at Jnr school to above average in grammar school class ranking.

Grammar schools can be extremely competitive so kids who fall short can get bullied (although we heard nothing of it and they all stress this stamped out at the very first signs)

It could be that less bright kids in independent schools would get an easier ride.

The only comparison I would make is that it is <possibly> harder to make changes to anything you are unhappy about with a state school as they are what they are, with an independent school you are in real terms a paying customer so you should have more clout?

You are best placed to make this choice for your children, not your children.

In the long term they will thank you for the choices you make.

I would say go for the very best you can.

Look at the total package. Is your child likely to sit in a class with the worst and most disruptive pupil?

What sports and other facilities are offered?

No music,drama or languages in the state school?

You don't plant a seed without preparing the soil and giving the plant the best care.

Whilst it is nice to say I was educated in a comprehensive.... How many captains of industry, barristers, politicians or doctors sat in a class with the kid with "issues"

Sweeping generalisation I know but...... It's your seed to plant

Hi i went to both private and state,i would say the teaching standard was the same,however the class size at private was 12 rather then 30 so less messing about in class,no big disterbances in class as everyone there knew their parents where having to pay for them to be there.

Moving to state school i got into the wrong crowd and had the opportunity to mess about in class as teacher was too busy and as such grades did drop,but as your soo close to good state schools i'd ignore all i have said lol,

Atb

I think this is something really important in considering your choices, I nailed my 11 plus and got a place at one of the best grammar schools in Surrey. I literally begged my parents not to send me there as all my mates were going to the local state school.

As it turned out it was a bad year for that school, loads of pretty rough types that would disrupt, mess around and bully and regardless of how motivated a pupil was it's very hard to learn in that environment.

I'm not saying this can't happen in private school but it must be less likely?

And maybe this was a particularly bad year as I've heard the school has an excellent reputation now, I left 20 years ago with little more than hatred for most of the people there lol.

Edit: When I said bad year I was talking about the state school my folks let me go to, not the grammar.

Edited by Muddy Funker

Given their rankings I would run with the state schools. I don't keep in touch with anyone from my primary and only 1 from secondary. Uni is where you make your friends....

I didn't go, that must be why I have no friends!

I'd be more worried about what work they are going to go into after school.

JF

1) Private vs state schools

2) Do the people you attend primary with make any difference to your life if you are moved from them

3) Can you tell the "heathen split ar__" I am right....only kidding...but am I being unreasonable?

1. I have told my mrs there is no chance our children will go to private school unless the local state school is terrible, i strongly believe it is the child and the encouragement from the parents that makes them succeed in life. If a child wants to mess around in class they will regardless where they are. All schools are only teaching kids to pass exams anyway so as long as the school provides these tools the child should succeed with the right support. I had a very good friend who was never the brightest kid but very hands on he got sent to private school as the local state school was terrible, while there he didnt do very well because he was busy messing around with his mates its only in the last year he realised he needed to pull his finger our and it was only his change in attitude that got him through his exams with help (and extra expense) of a private tutor. I think with private schools its easy to assume the kids do well becuase of the education ,i believe its more the links they make with kids who have family money who have the financial backing to start business or do not need to do proper work as they go into politics etc.

2. One thing i can always remember at secondary school is how quickly friendship groups break up and new ones are formed when starting, even while at school i struggled to remember come from the same primary school.

Please also remember that public/independent schools usually take all applicants, the local Grammar school is likely to pick the best of the crop which inflates there success rate over the public/independent schools. Both my boys attend independent day school and thoroughly enjoy the smaller class sizes, extra curricular activities and the emphasis that is put into good manners & respect for your fellow students.

BTW my oldest son 8yo is in a class of 15 and my youngest 6yo is in a class of 12.

It is a personal decision that a lot of people scoff at for there own reasons, if you want to pay for your children's education and save your taxpaying friends money then you should be congratulated.

DO WHAT YOU WANT, WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE THE CHOICE!

The common entrance exam has no bearing whatsoever (so long as it is passed), that just puts you into the category 'available to pick from', the Grammar school will then select the best of these.

Independent schools have an entrance exam that indicates the level you are at, they will always consider students who are not A* grade. Life as we all know is 30% what you know and 70% who you know, so long as you are not a numpty you can do almost anything so long as you have been taught good manners, how to get on with other people and you are ambitious.

The common entrance exam has no bearing whatsoever (so long as it is passed), that just puts you into the category 'available to pick from', the Grammar school will then select the best of these.

Independent schools have an entrance exam that indicates the level you are at, they will always consider students who are not A* grade. Life as we all know is 30% what you know and 70% who you know, so long as you are not a numpty you can do almost anything so long as you have been taught good manners, how to get on with other people and you are ambitious.

My son goes to a Grammar - got there on the results of his exams 11+ (though strictly it's not called that any more, that's what it is). He also wrote the exam for a local Independent school - didn't make the grade! It really depends on the Independent school. There are all different levels of Independent school - the top ones are very competitive and academic. Of course, if your child went to an independent primary school - that helps alot as they prepare them for the rigours of independent school and the entrance exams. But still - some kids just aren't academic enough.

Never an easy decision, if my boys could get into the local Grammar in a few years it would save me a fair few quid. There is only one thing you can give your kids and that is a decent education, either paid for or state funded, nobody can take it away from you when you leave school and try to find a job.

Can i be clear here, are we assuming that a Grammar school is a private school? ( some are i know) . getting confused. I took common entrance as did my godchildren ( my own daughter is too young to go in for it yet)

On the result of that i was offered a place.

Agree with your last post Gerard.

Yup, i am a numpty and have made a career of the above... :drool:

I went to a private school. I thouroughly enjoyed every minute and i was a boarder for 3 years of it.

You may be right that state schools will equal and even beat the privates in the academic side of things. However what they cannot do is equal them for facilities. Were are talking the best computers, the best sports gear, the best school trips etc etc.

What I have found in the privately educated people I have met is that their education seems to have made them more confident (to the point of being arrogant with a few of them) and outgoing. Language skills also seems to be far better than the average as these people tend to be able to hold a decent conversation and don't sound...well, er...common and thick.

Agree with the other poster who said that in general a private education might result in you not getting as much experience of life in general outside the monied set. Although that probably depends on which school you go to and what sort of wealth the rest of the pupils come from.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

The answer is "it depends on which schools" we have paid for private because we saw it as the best option in the area we then lived. Currently the kids are in State as its the best choice in this area. 90% of it is the catchment area the rest is the staff. State operates on a generally higher cost per pupil so its not funding, my wife was a governor of both schools

The answer is "it depends on which schools" we have paid for private because we saw it as the best option in the area we then lived. Currently the kids are in State as its the best choice in this area. 90% of it is the catchment area the rest is the staff. State operates on a generally higher cost per pupil so its not funding, my wife was a governor of both schools

I agree it's not just about funding but the effort that people (staff and pupils) are expected to put in.

My son's school hours are 08:15 to 17:30 Mon-Fri and 08:15-15:00 Saturday. Plus at least an hour of homework per night. He is eight.

I don't know the hours of the local state schools but from the times I see the kids wandering around the streets I would guess it is 09:00-15:00 Mon-Fri.

I've looked into this and have concluded that you would be better saving and funding them through University and providing a starter home for your kids (i.e. get a buy to let rolling for them) so that they can come out of the education process solvent and with a foot on the property ladder.

Funding private *and* University works out to about £1/4 M out of net income per head.

As far as CV's go, it's what goes on last that counts and that's normally University.

Obviously, if you are massively minted then go private and go large.

I've got 3 boys and what concerns me the most is the lack of first time affordable housing and the massive debt that going through University leaves. It's that debt left by higher education and a first mortgage in the 20's that will "chain" your kids and chain them early in life i.e. their early life decisions that set them on a path will be skewed by the debt they have hanging round them.

Edited by Mungler