Landrover discovery

enzonapoli1990

mine is 03 mate with 120 000 miles on pulls like a train and no doubt will do that mileage again. i think the early models had cylinder head problems. your budget would buy you a very nice disco. there are different engines codes 15p and 10p or something like that the 15p code is the better engine i think :hmm: hope this helps a bit.

I've got an 03 TD5 ES auto uplift model had it two years and put nearly 40k on the clock. There's been a few things wrong with it but it's a Land Rover. I drove it to Slovenia and back last year and it performed faultlessly. It's the ideal vehicle for getting around our farm shoot and other permissions.

Im thinking of buying a landrover discovery this year but ive been told stay away from them ive got a budget of £7000 can anyone tell me comon problems that they may have i hear the 2002 -2004 are awful is this true?

The simple answer is they aren't the most reliable vehicle going but people seem to love them. The value is why I wouldn't have one 7K to buy a 10 year old disco with 100k on it isn't my idea of bargain motoring, I'd buy something Japanese 4-5 years newer and half the mileage far more reliable and economical.

I had a 2004 ES disco few yrs back never had a problem in the 2 yrs i had it then 3 yrs ago bought a 2005 disco 3 SE must be the wost veh for problems ive ever had, one problem after another and will soon be getting rid and replacing with a pickup..shame really as when its good its one of the best vehs to drive.

Have to say - I was the same, loved my D3 but it was a money pit - did both front hubs/wheelbearings, rear anti roll bar links, both from bottom arms (due to the stupid oil filled bush) - one thing i will say is they do handle VERY VERY well and you would struggle to tell they weigh nearly 3 ton!

the final straw for mine was theair compressor pump was corroded and broke a mount - £1600 for a new compressor! then I came to timing belt time and most independant's will not longer do timing belts on the TDV6 engine as they are prone to the bolts for the oil pump shearing and writing off the engine!! even landrover are iffy on the time they will cover the timing belt work for - one LR dealer even made comments that they wouldn't honour it if the engine failed!!! so thats £1600 for the timing belt change!

The timing belts are on front and back of the TDV6 so a nightmare to do....

I also had a power steering pump fail - that was £1000 as you would be hard pushed to do it yourself - right up next to the turbo on the passenger side and a nightmare!

oddly enough I sold my S2 TD5 disco as it was approching 100k miles - yet it never let me down.

I really like landrovers and as a general rule they are noticably better than the competition (offroad, build quality etc.) but the D3 was the exception! great car when going but a money pit..

regards,

gixer

I've heard a few horror stories regards the D3, not so with a D4. A friend bought a D3 recently with 55K and full service history, admittedly he's extreemly fussy but he spent over £4.5k within first 3 months of owning the car. But these are totally different to the D2's which the OP was asking about.

Regards that D3 for £7k, without even looking at it I personally wouldn't go near it.

Cos

I owned a 51 plate TD5 D2 for a year - it was lovely to drive BUT it cost £2400.00 for repairs.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about the D3 & a D4 will cost £20k+

I bought a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport in Sept last year to replace the Freelander that I'd owned for 3 1/2 years, it served me well but I needed something bigger & didn't want to spend £15k+ on a Shooting Vehicle to abuse as I do. It does what I want but it's not a Land Rover !!

I've heard more horror stories about the D3 than I care to remember all cost dig silly money to fix.

I would go for a late model D2, stay away from the early ones as there were issues with the build quality from the change over from the D1.

The TD5 engine is great by all accounts plenty of power and easy to tune if a little more is needed.

I would have a D2 anyday but I love my old D1, but its more a toy than a everyday car.

relative of mine has a d3, new engine at 70k, dashboard has lights on all the time, abs used to come on every time went round a sharp bend. shame because when its going its a nice vehicle.

ive also had friends with td5's and heads seem to be an issue with those, i personally think there vehicles where you get much more for your money.

relative of mine has a d3, new engine at 70k, dashboard has lights on all the time, abs used to come on every time went round a sharp bend. shame because when its going its a nice vehicle.

ive also had friends with td5's and heads seem to be an issue with those, i personally think there vehicles where you get much more for your money.

Can't remember any known issues with Td5 heads????

Have to say - I was the same, loved my D3 but it was a money pit - did both front hubs/wheelbearings, rear anti roll bar links, both from bottom arms (due to the stupid oil filled bush) - one thing i will say is they do handle VERY VERY well and you would struggle to tell they weigh nearly 3 ton!

the final straw for mine was theair compressor pump was corroded and broke a mount - £1600 for a new compressor! then I came to timing belt time and most independant's will not longer do timing belts on the TDV6 engine as they are prone to the bolts for the oil pump shearing and writing off the engine!! even landrover are iffy on the time they will cover the timing belt work for - one LR dealer even made comments that they wouldn't honour it if the engine failed!!! so thats £1600 for the timing belt change!

You can have a new compressor from Land Rover for £350 including VAT and delivery. Couple of hours to self fit.

If you look around there are places that will do the belts for £6/700.

There is nothing other than a D3/4 that is as capable off road AND can cruise at 80mph. It is a breeze to drive, tows well and so comfortable and relatively luxurious. Last year drove mine up to the North of Scotland and to the south coast to Poole to get a ferry to Jersey. The driving position is superb.

I wouldn't buy one just as a shooting bus, but if I wanted to take it stalking around the country or use 1 car for everything the Disco is in a league of its own.

You can have a new compressor from Land Rover for £350 including VAT and delivery. Couple of hours to self fit.

If you look around there are places that will do the belts for £6/700.

There is nothing other than a D3/4 that is as capable off road AND can cruise at 80mph. It is a breeze to drive, tows well and so comfortable and relatively luxurious. Last year drove mine up to the North of Scotland and to the south coast to Poole to get a ferry to Jersey. The driving position is superb.

I wouldn't buy one just as a shooting bus, but if I wanted to take it stalking around the country or use 1 car for everything the Disco is in a league of its own.

I know, I owned one - but they are still an embarrassment to the marque due to the reliability an underbody protection - take your spare wheel out sometime and look at where the parking sensor loom terminates - I bet you if your car is older than 07 it's hanging off! Then there are the EGR valves - on the 07 onwards if they mess up there's not a lot you can do other than replace them as blanking them won't work.

Don't get me wrong - I love my landrovers (I have had five of them) but the d3 is the lemon of them for reliability - the D4 I fear will be the same when it gets a bit longer in the tooth....

Regards,

Gixer

• 2 weeks later...

Got two 03 plate Landrovers, Defender and Discovery,

Disco has done 250,000 miles. Needed replacement fuel injectors at 180,000 and has just had the original alternator changed, rear suspension air bags last about 120k, just had mine swopped to coil springs. Other than that just routine maintenance, it works well and is nice and comfy to drive. Goes more or less anywhere , shod with Grabber AT2 tyres, pulls a 2.7ton trailer with no issues at all.

An auto diesel with cruise control is perfect for relaxed long distance driving.

A

Well my family are mechanics, and we have had a few td5's which has cracked heads amongst other things.

On the subject of discovery 4's, a friend of mine has one which has just given up on him today, vehicle totally shut down. Had the whole air suspension replaced a month a go too, and this is on a not even year old vehicle.

I know quite a few people with disco 3's and 4's and there isnt one which hasnt had quite a few faults.

Guest rimotu66

Can't remember any known issues with Td5 heads? ???

Really? Common head gaskets, cracked heads and plastic locating dowels that shear and allow the head to move.

I am looking at getting another 4x4 (much lower budget then the OP's though) but it will not be a LandRover again unless I can get a 300tdi as good as the one I never should have sold. Such a shame that LR have gone all tech and problematic as I have had loads of them over the years, my 1st was a 1962 88" and my last was a TD5.