Nail Biters and ex-nail biters!

SSS

I have read that 45% of adults bite their nails and it can be genetic, so what I want to know is who on here bites their nails?

I do and have done for as long as I remember, my father used to until about 5 years ago and my Grandma has done for most of her 76 year life.

Last visit I had to the dentist, I was told that biting my nails is ruining my front lower teeth (the teeth that I actually use to bite my nails off) so I have decided that this is reason enough to stop biting them. I have managed to get to 25 years old with no dentistry work what so ever, no fillings, no crowns, no braces, no teeth removed, never even a needle into my gums.

So I'm after some advice on stopping biting. Personally I think I am more addicted to biting my nails than smoking, so its going to be a hard one to shake off!

Have bitten my nails for as long as I can remember :( If Im not biting them Im picking them

Its an entirely sub concious thing that I appear to have no control over, i even do it in my sleep

Mum used to but that stuff from the chemist that was supposedly the most bitter substance known to man, I got to quite like the taste in the end.

Only plus side, now Im older & fatter, I can no longer reach to bite me toe nails :lol:

I bite mine all the time. Even used to bite my toe nails as a young child... Probably still would if I could get to them! :lol:

I have no idea how to stop, but as with you I'm wearing my teeth at an alarming rate doing it. Last time I tried the paint on stuff I just chewed them anyway - It didn't taste any worse than they sometimes do after a day in the garden. The only thing I have found that stops me is doing a gralloch on a deer. That generally puts me off until I've washed up!

Best tip to stop biting the nails is to keep a set of nail clippers handy... In your pocket or on the keyring.

The most common reason I start to bite them is when there's a rough bit of nail...

Keep them cut with the clippers and you'll soon lose the temptation.

+1

Is it 'genetic' if you pick your nose?. I find the genetic bit laughable. It's nerves normally, my mate bit them for 40 years and they looked hideous, and he was a bag of nerves, he finally kicked it just by seeing how nice they looked when they grew!

I dont agree wholeheartedly with the genetic statement either, I think I learnt it off my Dad and Grandma and It definitely isnt caused by nerves, I very very rarely get nervous of anything!

I have just about had enough of all the **** I eat everyday from under my nails. No chemical you can buy will taste half as bad as some of the festering cr*p I fetch out! Im going to give it a go anyway and see how I get on.

Ill try keeping them trimmed with clippers and files and see how that goes for me.

What about skin biting?

I love getting just the right amount of layers and having a peel, not too deep mind or it hurts and bleeds.

And yes the skin gets eaten, minging I know. Still It's not smoking is it,,,,,,,,

Edit: I might add that this is my skin and fingers, no one elses lol!!!

Edited by Muddy Funker

I dont agree wholeheartedly with the genetic statement either, I think I learnt it off my Dad and Grandma and It definitely isnt caused by nerves, I very very rarely get nervous of anything!

I have just about had enough of all the **** I eat everyday from under my nails. No chemical you can buy will taste half as bad as some of the festering cr*p I fetch out! Im going to give it a go anyway and see how I get on.

Ill try keeping them trimmed with clippers and files and see how that goes for me.

i think we all develop mechanisms that are anxiety based even if we dont feel particularly nervous. Some smoke, some drink, some eat etc etc. I think you have one of the easiest habits to break and i wish you well.

What about skin biting?

I love getting just the right amount of layers and having a peel, not too deep mind or it hurts and bleeds.

And yes the skin gets eaten, minging I know. Still It's not smoking is it,,,,,,,,

Edit: I might add that this is my skin and fingers, no one elses lol!!!

I do too! I eat my nails and the skin. Gross when I think about it but I dont know I'm doing it half the time.

i think we all develop mechanisms that are anxiety based even if we dont feel particularly nervous. Some smoke, some drink, some eat etc etc. I think you have one of the easiest habits to break and i wish you well.

I do all of the above except drink and I assure you, I never feel nervous.