What is the reason for the high regard given to pheasants?

955i

Was out with the dog today contemplating the world as you do and after seeing ducks, geese, pigeons and a couple of pheasant I got to wondering why it is that pheasants are so highly regarded as a sporting bird.

I have shot on a small syndicate for a few years, and while it was good fun, I still think that sitting in a hide waiting for pigeon or trying for the rapid woodcock is a much more satisfying shooting experience (at least for me).

Does anyone know any of the history behind the popularity of pheasant as a game bird and how pheasant shoots came to be such a high value commodity as opposed to other birds?

they are easy to rear, and can be driven over paying guns,

they taste pretty good too.

+1 on that, they are quite tasty. :good: To add to it they can be manipulated to stay in the desired area and with planning and preperation they can be driven in a fashion that they will fly over the strategicaly placed guns to provide a challenging shot.

I can see the pro side from an estates rearing point of view, but what is it that makes them so desirable to the guns that they are often willing to pay thousands to go and shoot them?

Like I say, while I enjoyed the syndicate I was with (cost £125 for ten days out), even if I had the money spare I don't think I would pay big money to go on a driven day.

But they are tasty!! Prepped two today a neighbour gave me that have been hanging in the shed for the last week or so :good: .

I think it is different reasons for different folk. I shoot driven birds because I hike the challenge (anyone who thinks pheasants are always sraight, slow birds are horribly wrong), but also the consistency. I enjoy shooting pigeons most, but it can be very quiet some days/ time of year.

Grice are great too, but no harder than a sneaky pigeon :-)

As for cost, this is directly proportionate to the number - each bird costs between £28 and £42 depending on the shoot reputation and location. So, the more birds in the bag, the greater the cost :-)

But they are tasty!! Prepped two today a neighbour gave me that have been hanging in the shed for the last week or so :good: .

Assuming they were shot on the last day of the season that's a very long week, still at least it's been fairly cool!

You have to have shot at good pheasants to get the appeal of them and the social side to pheasant shooting

As for cost, this is directly proportionate to the number - each bird costs between £28 and £42 depending on the shoot reputation and location. So, the more birds in the bag, the greater the cost :-)

Not strictly the shoot reputation and location.. It's actually to do with food and labour into each bird.. If it was as you said, mine would nearly be free!

^ha.

Historically the drivven game shoot has always been assoiciated with royalty and those of high status, in europe i believe long ago whole countys or even countrys (the smaller ones ) where beaten through to drive out the game for a royal shoot once a year ( although i can not reference that ). Im sure BASC has a very interesting video on the history of game shooting which also explains its popularity. Its fun, its a status symbol, it also says something about who you are and what you stand for. Pheasant are easy to keep in once place, compared to other birds with wilder instincts, properly managed and kept present a challenging sport. Pigeons i have found to be just as challenging or more so than pheasants, but they are not reliable, some days you shoot 30 some days you shoot 3.

I can see the pro side from an estates rearing point of view, but what is it that makes them so desirable to the guns that they are often willing to pay thousands to go and shoot them?

Like I say, while I enjoyed the syndicate I was with (cost £125 for ten days out), even if I had the money spare I don't think I would pay big money to go on a driven day.

the price often reflects the area your shooting in, big estates with unbelevable veiws that kind of thing and obviously bigger bags iv beat on shoots holding days for 400 birds for a team of 8guns costing mega bucks, i also wonder at times why pheasants, but as said easy rearing and the ease of having them where you want them! iv shot pheasants a handfull of times and if im honest id rather be walking the woods on my own land for woodcock which to me is the greatest most elegant gamebird in existence! a real pleasure to pursue!

but as they say horses for courses, although i do enjoy the banter of a driven pheasant day!

il tell you what does amaze me the story of lord rippon! any1 else know his tale?

The prices do seem higher if you shot on some of the more famous estates. The birds aren't necessarily better, but you pay for the privilege of some estates.

Budget is always subjective - any shooting is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If a price was set and absolutely no one wanted to go, the price would have to drop. But, there is always someone willing to pay. At least the cash goes into the shooting community. :-)

Yes it's bl**dy dear to stand a day on the pheasants, and u do pay for the privalege of standing on a 'famous named drive' u defo pay for the 'brand' but that is the same with other things cars, clothes etc but u know u will be shown good pheasants that are worth the money rather than saving £5 but the birds are a poor standard. Even a smaller day is pretty dear, always thoght about it but cannae justify the price for 1 day. The nearest i get to it are keepers days.

I run a very small DIY syndicate and looking at out returns plus speaking to my neighbouring shoot captains, we have all shoot 35-40% returns which is very respectable for DIY shoots in our area esp this year; yet the price per pheasant shot varies from £22 to £35 and that is only paying rent, feed and birds with free deisel/keepering and no upkeep on my quad or pick up. ie minimal expenses Our shoot ended up £34 per pheasant but comes down to £24 per bird shot (when duck partridge and various are added in)

So big shoots charging £28+ per bird are not making an absolute fortune when keepers wages, beaters/pickers up, transport, quads etc,

If your lucky enough to stand on a cracking drive and knock a few really good birds down you will remember them, but i also like to remember every bird i've shot in a day if i can't i've shot too many, that doesn't happen often but i have put my gun away a few times on a keepers duck day when i had shot enough and went picking up instead

A days shooting over the ferrets is probably the best sport u can get thou.

the price often reflects the area your shooting in, big estates with unbelevable veiws that kind of thing and obviously bigger bags iv beat on shoots holding days for 400 birds for a team of 8guns costing mega bucks, i also wonder at times why pheasants, but as said easy rearing and the ease of having them where you want them! iv shot pheasants a handfull of times and if im honest id rather be walking the woods on my own land for woodcock which to me is the greatest most elegant gamebird in existence! a real pleasure to pursue!

but as they say horses for courses, although i do enjoy the banter of a driven pheasant day!

il tell you what does amaze me the story of lord rippon! any1 else know his tale?

Read my article in this weeks Shooting Times. Studley Royal.

Rich g

• 2 weeks later...

I like eating a few every now and then and at 20p a brace great value for money. Easy to rear and hold,and you can charge tw---s £40 a bird when they finally hit one.

Is there a touch of envy in your post??? Do you realise how much the tw..s that pay £40 a bird put into the local economy?