Can you shoot canada geese all year round??

YoungShotJonny

My mate wants some canada geese shot. I read on the BASC quarry identification guide that the canada goose season is september 1st to january 31st. However it says they are under the general license as pest birds and the license permits control throughout the year. Do i ignore the season or stick to it? am i allowed to shoot them. NOTE - this only applies to canada geese. Help appreciated thanks

Yes they can be shot , as long as you are doing so under the terms of the licence .

Shooting them because your mate wants them shot is not enough , if he wants them shooting because they are causing damage to crops or making a great deal of mess then yes shoot them .

I had a problem with geese causing damage to crops a couple of years ago, I rang defra who put me on to someone else who told me if they are canada geese I can shoot them under my general licence, but if they are greylag then I need a special licence to shoot them! Which I applied for but by the time it was procesed they had moved on! (well helped by a couple of bird scarer rockets!!!)

Not 100% familar with the english licences but in Scotland the 3 licences u can use are Crop Protection, Wild animal protection/conservation and Environmental Health. Depending which licence ur using it should tell u how ur allowed to kill them and any special conditions. These change every Jan 1st so u have to check them every year. If any doubt u could phone Basc or other org's

I'm not sure ur allowed to use a shotgun to control them, I have heard off people shooting them with 22cf rifles (obviously conditioned for it) do these need to be non toxic shot? Is there such a thing in rifle ammo (wouldn't call copper non-toxic)

Yes they can be shot , as long as you are doing so under the terms of the licence .

Shooting them because your mate wants them shot is not enough , if he wants them shooting because they are causing damage to crops or making a great deal of mess then yes shoot them .

right and wrong, you can shoot them if they are causing damage to crops, no you cant shoot them for causing a mess

Yes you can as non natives you can shoot them whenever you like, no need to prove damage or try scaring them first. Read the general license terms

And if you read the licence terms , then they can only be shot

• to prevent serious damage or disease.

• to preserve public health or public safety.

• to conserve flora or fauna.

right and wrong, you can shoot them if they are causing damage to crops, no you cant shoot them for causing a mess

You can if that mess is could affect public health and or safety.

Alendil , quote "(wouldn't call copper non-toxic)

why not. there is no real proof that lead shot id toxic either. "

There is a hell of a lot of proof that lead is very toxic to birds if digested , just read the research papers and if you do not beleve them just rear a few ducks and let them have access to a handful of lead shotgun pellets and see how you have left alive after a month. Its almost certantly going to be none. It makes my blood boil when people keep claiming there is no proof about lead being toxic when they have not bothered to read up on the subject.

Lead is highly toxic to birds.

There is a hell of a lot of proof that lead is very toxic to birds if digested , just read the research papers and if you do not beleve them just rear a few ducks and let them have access to a handful of lead shotgun pellets and see how you have left alive after a month. Its almost certantly going to be none. It makes my blood boil when people keep claiming there is no proof about lead being toxic when they have not bothered to read up on the subject.

Yep and it is even more lethal fired at them at 1400 fps :lol:

You can same as any other bird under human health, say on a playing field or school, place were people eat, kiddies play park etc

And if you read the licence terms , then they can only be shot

• to prevent serious damage or disease.

• to preserve public health or public safety.

• to conserve flora or fauna.

You can if that mess is could affect public health and or safety.

of course, but very doubtful canadas will be hanging out at the local play area,

I shoot Canada geese for a local farmer who as tried to keep them off his crops and grass that the sheep graze on,with no luck,so Its down to the shotgun,you need to print copies of the general licence off and keep them with you,as a reference if the Police see you shooting what they see as birds out of season,remember its not sport but vermin control under license.

Agreed, but why is it legal to shoot a rat or rabbit with lead where ducks etc will dabble up the pellets but you can't shoot a duck flying over a ploughed field or a wood with lead? Also, non-toxic stuff is harder to kill cleanly with, so more birds will die later from rusting steel shot in thier body. The law needs to be sensible before we can respect it.

Yes you can as non natives you can shoot them whenever you like, no need to prove damage or try scaring them first. Read the general license terms

And I never did follow that, they have a season for starters, then they have listings on the GL, and then the GL and the Wildlife & Countryside Act says as Non Indigineous species catch/kill asap and do not release!

Does seem something of a contradiction! :hmm: :hmm:

Anyway, the answer to the OP is............. YES! :good:

i know that lead is toxic

just dont get point

its not ok to use lead in shotgun on them bu it is legal to shot them with rifle.

Point is its the spent lead shot which gets ingested that poisons wildfowl (allegedly)They are highly unlikely to swallow a bullet ,but shot falls in the mud ,ducks swallow grit to aid digestion ,ps defra told me when i asked about canadas ,you are supposed to try all other means before shooting ,and being a fowler i can already see a reduction in numbers this year due i,m sure to overshooting, culling ,etc