28 Guage

buckstalker

Hi Guys

Wanting to buy a 28 guage for decoying.

Without getting into "why do it", does anybody have any views on which to buy.

I have a budget of about a grand. Also it MUST be a sensible weight.

So many 28's seem to weigh more then 6 pounds which seems crazy as using the 96 rule, a 28 sxs firing a standard load of about 21gram should weigh no more than 5.5 lbs.

I realise that an O/U would weigh a bit more at 5 3/4lbs.

Apart from finding a lovely little sxs at a knockdown price I will probably have to go for a Yildiz.

I have in mind either the Yildiz SPZ ME28 at about 5 3/4 lbs or perhaps the new Webley 928 at just under 6lbs.

Any views as to which?

Anybody got one?

Anybody want to sell one?

atb

Buckstalker

I have the Yildiz and love it, mine has good figured wood and looks more than it cost.

Lincoln 28g gets good reveiws along with Beretta And Browning.

I did pick up and shoulder a rizzini that felt nice but was fixed choke when I wanted mc.

Yildiz also do sxs in them.

Figgy

28 is a very nice cal. I've got an AyA 2 rounded action and is a sheer joy. I've been amazed at how well it chops stuff down. It is light to carry and is very quick to mount and agile to handle. The only downside is the cost of the cartridges. I reload for mine with a mec sizemaster.

Edited by fortune

I have used a Beretta 686 28 true scale for several years .. It's the sporter model which is several ounces heavier than the game model and the only difference seems to be the rib type; tho slightly heavier at just over 6lbs feels better balanced ...

But as with most Bs there are variations of rib , fixed/multi chokes, grades and weight etc.

About the only thing I would change it for is an older EELL ...

Personelly i would go for a good second hand model, Browning/Berreta/Miriku, would keep their second hand price far better and last longer.

I use a Browning light hunter multi and reload and it does the trick if pointed in right place?, plus a don/t feel knxxckered at the end of the day :) .

markm has the cynergy 28bore and has just bought his lad a Revo 28bore

he will probably post on here once he has recovered from his Vegas jolly

:shaun:

Recovered from the Las Vegas abuse, thank you Shaun.

I love my 28g cynergy, but it's built on a 20g action I think.

The revo I just bought for my son is fantastic for the money, it's no beretta but for the price you could buy one in 28, 20 and 12 and still have enough money to buy 250 cartridges for each with money for some beer before you hit the price of a new browning.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Guys for all the info'/replies

After all, I decided on a twenty guage as I could not find a twenty eight sxs at a sensible weight. I could of course, have paid loads to get one but the budget/good lady would not allow/approve!

In the end, I got a Yildiz Elegant 20bore sxs. With recessed multi chokes, ejectors, wood to really admire and hand engraving, the £1200.00 model is really nice AND it fits the weight bill at 5 1/2lbs.

Tried it out for the first time last night and whilst not a lot was flying in to roost, I managed 3 out of 3 using game bore 28gram 6's. I had planned using 25 gram loads to potentially cut perceived recoil but I have to say that I hardly noticed I had fired the 28gram so it must be spot on for weight distribution and fit. At a LOP of 14 3/4" it is just about right for me although I used a calfs foot pad as well and the length seemed perfect.

I reckon with cheaper ammunition I have made a good choice although the 28 was what I was really after.

Anybody else got one and what loads/make seem to work best?

I'm going to try 3 or 4 diff' loads on the pattern plate and then stick to just one.

I thought to try Eley Grand Prix paper cased 25gram, Eley Classic paper cased 23gram and Hull 3 crowns paper cased 25gram

Anybody else got other suggestions?

all the best and good shooting

Buckstalker

Guest cookoff013

Thanks Guys for all the info'/replies

After all, I decided on a twenty guage as I could not find a twenty eight sxs at a sensible weight. I could of course, have paid loads to get one but the budget/good lady would not allow/approve!

In the end, I got a Yildiz Elegant 20bore sxs. With recessed multi chokes, ejectors, wood to really admire and hand engraving, the £1200.00 model is really nice AND it fits the weight bill at 5 1/2lbs.

Tried it out for the first time last night and whilst not a lot was flying in to roost, I managed 3 out of 3 using game bore 28gram 6's. I had planned using 25 gram loads to potentially cut perceived recoil but I have to say that I hardly noticed I had fired the 28gram so it must be spot on for weight distribution and fit. At a LOP of 14 3/4" it is just about right for me although I used a calfs foot pad as well and the length seemed perfect.

I reckon with cheaper ammunition I have made a good choice although the 28 was what I was really after.

Anybody else got one and what loads/make seem to work best?

I'm going to try 3 or 4 diff' loads on the pattern plate and then stick to just one.

I thought to try Eley Grand Prix paper cased 25gram, Eley Classic paper cased 23gram and Hull 3 crowns paper cased 25gram

Anybody else got other suggestions?

all the best and good shooting

Buckstalker

if you want lower recoil shells, just reload and shoot slower loads, even the 28gram subs have less recoil than the comp x 21grams. which have been marveled as "low recoil"

load slow loads with big shot. clays 7.5s or any. game 5s.

most sxs are uncomfortable with 32gram loads at 1400fps. pick 1200 max and low weight of shot.

Recovered from the Las Vegas abuse, thank you Shaun.

I love my 28g cynergy, but it's built on a 20g action I think.

The revo I just bought for my son is fantastic for the money, it's no beretta but for the price you could buy one in 28, 20 and 12 and still have enough money to buy 250 cartridges for each with money for some beer before you hit the price of a new browning.

If you dont mind me asking, Do you have any idea just what thread type the Revo 28gas use i know most turks use Berreta / benelli mobil type threads, but some use rem choke thread, and i cant find any mention on the internet what Revos use, can you offer any advice please.

If you dont mind me asking, Do you have any idea just what thread type the Revo 28gas use i know most turks use Berreta / benelli mobil type threads, but some use rem choke thread, and i cant find any mention on the internet what Revos use, can you offer any advice please.

I have no idea, had a look in the instructions manual and it doesn't say anything. I'm sure the sportsman gun centre is the importer, maybe they can help. The do come with a full set of 5 though.

I have no idea, had a look in the instructions manual and it doesn't say anything. I'm sure the sportsman gun centre is the importer, maybe they can help. The do come with a full set of 5 though.

Thanks for that i will ring them .