Side by side vs under and over?

syborg

Just our of interest which type of gun do the good folks on pigeonwatch prefer?

I learnt to shoot using a Caesar guerini maxum but then bought my own AYA yeoman sxs and for some reason I just seem to take to a sxs alot better.

I'm not sure if it's the sheer raw feel of a walnut butt in my shoulder with no fancy buttplate or rubber recoil softener or the fact that it's lighter. Even the insane kick of a cheap Spanish unknown brand sxs gun just feels right..

Either way in my opinion there's nothing like the sight of a few sxs guns nestled in a gun cabinet..

What is everyone elses views?

Syborg..

I have both, use both, and enjoy both. I can't say I really prefer one over the other. I suppose if I had to own just one gun, it would probably be an O/U as most of my shots are at clays, but I often shoot clays with 21g loads in a s/s (and with equally mixed results with both!)

I also have an unknown Spanish 12g sbs and it kicks so hard after About 10 shots my

Middle finger looks like a blind cobblers thumb!!!

I like to watch my mates face when squeezes the trigger as he's got a 3k guerini and thought my yeoman kicks hard..lol

Edited by syborg

always used a s/s for clays/rabbits & general rough shooting bought it around 15 years ago (gunmark kestrel 12b 1/4 x 1/2) it just feels right, so never needed anything else till today!, went to look around a shop monday and came out with a Baikal o/u (1/2 x full) in the shop it felt nice on the shoulder and easy to swing.

Took my lad out to bang a few clays on a local farm, 1st few rounds (of 10) my hit rate was poor 5/10 after a few rounds and getting the feel of the o/u i was doing 9's and 10's

my hearts still with the traditional s/s (that my with bought for an aniversary present) but could get to like the o/u gonna give it another try next week on bolting rabbits see how that feels.

21g comp x number 7s perfect nice light clay load, I've just moved onto 28g number 6s eley impax and so far not too bad, went for fibre wads tho as I was on a pheasant shoot during the season bit still love the cheap and cheerful 28g comp x. I seem to hit everything with them. I must be used to their speed.

The real benifit of a sxs is they are easy/comfy to carry on a walk round, as i find they sit nicely on the arm. Which one you prefer to shoot is down to the individual.....

I've never suffered from excessive recoil, provided the gun fits reasonably well and you mount correctly , unless you are particualy sensitive , in which case use a lighter load.

My main rough load would be 30/32gm and the usual 28gm for clays, but i have used 28gm Eley impax which i find a sweet cartridge for field and some guys use 21gm for clays at no real dissadvantage.

SxS are nice to own and shoot, but my normal choice would be an O/U....

Dave

I have four guns three are 12g a sxs, semi auto, 682 gold e clay gun, and a 28g ou.

They all have there uses some can do a few things, but for me a sxs is purely a game/walk about gun much like my 28g ou.

Love the look and feel of a sxs but prefer to shoot my 28g on the same applications.

Only keep sxs as a spare and to use on Boxing Day with paper case carts.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I love my side by sides. There's something about shooting a driven day with a SxS that I really love. Great for pigeons too, but it's not the ideal choice for hammering hundreds of clays though.

O/U I bought for the clays, really. It's a sporter and heavy to lug about. I shot a game day with it last year and regretted it by lunchtime.

I'm suppose I'm lucky in that I can choice to shoot whatever gun I feel like at the time. I took my E Harrison SxS out last time with Washerboy, just so we were both shooting the same.

If I was seriously limited to one gun only I'd go for the SxS, but if I chose with my head and not my heart I'd probably plump for a 20 bore O/U. I'm seriously considering chopping in my 12g sporter for a 20.