Recommendations for a weakling

shootinfishin

Hi guys!

Managed to finally bug the mrs into trying a few shots and she enjoyed it so time is of the essence lol

She finds my shotguns too heavy/difficult to shoulder.

Even my pump action was a bit much for her + they are all 12g and there's not a pick of meat on her!

So until I fatten her up or get her to the gym (fat chance) excuse the pun.

Can anyone recommend a really light gun for teaching a lady?

Was thinking 20g or 410 but its more about the weight as the kick she'll get used to.

My model 23 nearly dropped her on her **** lol

I wouldnt go 410 unless she is alredy a gud dhot, harder to hit targets and a quick of way of someone going off the sport is missing over many.

Plenty of nice light weight 20bores about, take her to local gunshop and let her handle a few, she will be able to tell you better than anyone which feels best for her.

What carts? The weight helps soak up recoil, if she is "petite" a fitted gun essential most are too long in the stick and low in comb. Hatsan do a youth range in 20b franchi do some light guns in 12 & 20. O/U would be ideal also fixed choke guns tend to be lighter mk60 20 bore worth a look

I had a similar situation with my wife; after struggling with the weight of my 12g, she tried various 20g's for fit and ended up selecting a 20g Browning Medalist (which feels very light to me).

She loves the Browning & shoots much better with it - it's a very nice second hand gun for £600 (seen them go for £500).

Edited by sir jasper

Consider recoil very carefully, Also use. If its clays a 12 bore lightweight gas operated auto will do both - if the one for game then maybe a 20 bore break action but don't go too light with the gun or two heavy with the load. Light loads are always harder to shoot well and require more choke so consider carefully. My mrs is very lightly built but can handle a normal mid range double 12 on the stand, FIT IS OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE WITH ANY FEMALE SHOOTER- frankly its different than us in quite a big way so don't expect guns to fit off the shelf quite so well

a light weight 20 bore and 21 gramme cartridges is probably the way to go, worked for my daughter.

just make sure its a dedicated 20 bore action and not just a 12 with 20 barrels as some are.

probably want to keep the barrel length down to 28" as well

i bought a rizzini for my daughter which is just over 6lb.

i've had a round with it and was nice with 21gramme cartridges, but not nice with 28 grammes ones.

I also think a 20 is the way to go for women or young shooters. I started my son out at about age 10 with a shortened 20 ga. Remington 1100-7/8 oz. loads and plugged up to a single shot for the first year or so.

Recoil and fit are serious considerations, I don't thin that anyone really gets used to recoil---we just learn to cope with it and it can really put a new shooter off. Find something that fits her and doesn't kick and enjoy her company.

Edited by coyotemaster

I also think a 20 is the way to go for women or young shooters. I started my son out at about age 10 with a shortened 20 ga. Remington 1100-7/8 oz. loads and plugged up to a single shot for the first year or so.

Recoil and fit are serious considerations, I don't thin that anyone really gets used to recoil---we just learn to cope with it and it can really put a new shooter off. Find something that fits her and doesn't kick and enjoy her company.

What a good safe idea to plug the mag to single shot :good:

20 gauge is oft reccomended, do consider that the lighter weight will result in a shorter snappier recoil, and if your going shooting all day firing 100 carts through a 20 or a 12 will be fairly indistinguishable. The heavier 12 is going to help soak up the recoil a bit, the difference betweej 12 and 20 in my experience is minimal, maybe if i was weedier i'd notice the difference more. I would say stick to a 12 that fits, and if neccisary fit a recoil reducing device, if your not fussy about mechanisms a semi auto could be a convenient excuse to put another gun on your cert if you have always wanted one, its usually the case that the recoil is used to cycle another round, and therefore there is less felt recoil.

My advice would be, stick to a 12g - and if you always wanted a semi auto, you now have a convenient excuse.

Just got that kent:@. Thought you was on about the load in the gun,not my weight. I feel all disheartened now. You do know I have a complex and feelings,and struggle through life being ugly.

Heck, you were right first time actually. Have you ever thought about talking to someone "professional" about those feelings ? LOL