any one have trouble today

I had plenty of birds coming in, but seem to have totally lost the ability to shoot! Ended up between two of us 14 pigeons, 5 crows, a jay and a jackdaw. But if my shooting wasn't such a let down it would have been a very good day. I really struggled with the 'easy' shots, birds wings back in the pattern. Very frustrating! Lots of birds seeming to drop in almost vertically from a great height - missed most of them too.

I went out this morning got set up,dropped a couple then two buzzards appeared and would not **** off and two fields away down came the big red virgin balloon and to cap all off the dog found the only wet patch in the field but it was still nice to be out.

Edited by B725

i got out today to a farm that usually has little on it apart from a few crows, so armed with my new crow fuds i set up earlier and as i did they all left.. had a super stressfull and full on week this week and blassting a few crows would have done me a world of good

seems to have been difficult for quite a few today then, we managed 4 on rape then was plagued by dog walkers and ramblers on a foot path 100 yards behind us putting the birds off so packed up , went for a look around our other farms and found small pockets of birds spread all over the place 30 here 40 there etc not worth bothering with

Edited by yickdaz

Went to a field today where the farmer said pigeons had been hammering the drilled barley hard for the last couple of days, when I got there not a pigeon in site. I gave it an hour and a half

just to see if anything was going to happen, (and keep the farmer sweet), four crows was the total bag. packed everything up and went for a drive around, I did not have to go far to find the

pigeons, they were on a field of drilled barley right beside the A75 road. Fortunately this is one of the estate farms we have the pigeon/crow shooting on so I went to see the farm manager

to check it was ok to drive over a grass field to get to where I wanted to be, all ok. I quickly got set up hide put and decoys out then back in the hide, I did not have to wait long for the first

chance, but in my haste I had forgot to load the Benneli. As soon as I had 2 dead birds these went on the magnet and that is when the birds really started to come, I had a busy 2 and a half

hours and finished up with 53 pigeons in the bag.

The sun was quite bright and a fairly strong wind blowing right to left of the hide.

Left home at about ten for a look round, by twelve o clock i had found nothing and was about to give up and go home, spotted a few birds on a poor rape field that i had not shot before, went to see the farmer for a chat and to find out what he's re-drilling, tells me 350 acres of spring rape to go in (good news) anyway got back to the field and set up by 1.30pm. Breeze at my back and in the shade of a big hedge i shot 51 for 61 shots by 4pm. PURE HEAVEN. no flapper, no rotary. Out again today.

Had 7 pigeons today in four hours of very hard work.

Got crow deeks out of the truck and bagged 25 in two hours.

I think to muck sun and no wind didn't help with the woodies.....

The sun and wind would have had no affect on whether or not pigeons came to your chosen field.

Motty do you not find woodies get about more with a good wind?

Would a bright sunny day with no wind be your ideal choice for decoying weather?

Your thoughts?

I normally find that anything other than a slight breeze has an adverse effect on my day's shooting. If pigeons want to feed on a field, they will do so regardless of how strong the wind is. Last Wednesday i had to battle with the hide on a rape field that was attracting over a thousand woodies.The hide was continuously battered in the strong wind. I could see the pigeons coming, but most took so long to get to me. After the first shot, any remaining pigeons were gone (mostly,though i got a few left and rights) Which made making a big score difficult. I finished the day with 87 pigeons, but i'm sure if it had been a still day i would have got around 125 - 140. So yes, i prefer more still conditions.