Foxes mating??Few more roe.

sako751sg

Oot this morning,fine sunny but frosty,and although plenty of bucks around nay chance of a chap.However,on the way round i stopped to glass this grass field and noticed two foxes chasing around 600 yards away.First thought was probably cubs,but on glassing it turned out to be a big dog and a vixen so i watched them for around 15 mins,and i actually watched the dog mount her and the rest of the time was spent with him chasing her hard and play fighting.Ive shot a few foxes and watched them for many many hours over the years but never ever seen this at this time of year.Was wondering with all this chat about barren vixens if there is something going on with them this season?

Back to the other evening and went oot with the dugs for a seat in a wood hopefully for a buck or fox.Sat for an hour but the wind wasnt right so into the Jeep and held oot to a place where there has been 6 roe every morning and evening grazing,including 2 bucks,and although it was just mucked last week they were still using it.From the road i can see right along the woodside and sure enough all were oot and around 400 away,so parked up and started into them.I was in full view the whole time,but with the wood as background and the wind perfect a slow approach got me within 180ish,(forgot binos)and a slow crawl got me doon ready for the shot.Got onto the clean buck and had to wait 5 mins or so before he turned perfect broadside,and on the shot he dropped on the spot.Stuck another pill up hoping for the 2nd buck but he had other ideas and legged it with the does.Shot was pap on and he was a nice mature 6 pointer with a bonny even heed.Would have tried the MILs for another one but the round i cycled had to be forced oot and left the pill still up,so had to abort to rod it oot at hame.

Next morning was pretty fine so was away from the hoose at 5ish,and again plenty of roe around including lots of buck,mostly clean although the younger ones are still in velvet.Arrived at the MILs and counted 9 does and 2 bucks with a wee yearly looking the best option.He was around 200 away and a very difficult stalk of around 10 metres got me to a nice firing perfect,the hoose lawn.The rifles spot on at that so no need for adjustment and once again on the shot he collapsed without moving a foot.Shot bang on the money and a gralloch complete held away for a walk through the wood.

Arrived there at 8ish and still roe cutting aboot everywhere so parked up and held away.Had went around 400 when a roe started barking away to our right up the valley.Couldnt see anything initially and thought we had maybe spooked one that had legged it but then a mature buck showed from the fund bushes and carried on barking.He hadnt a clue we were there and it was more territorial barking than alerted as he was fraying and grazing the whole time,so i left the dugs and worked the high ground above him having to make 200m to get in line with him which would leave a steep doonhill shot of around 80.Nay dramas en route so when i got there,with him still non the wiser i set the sticks and settled the rifle on it.He was by now in the ditch so i had to wait a couple of minutes before he was spot on but a pill through the neck done the job nicely,again not a foot moved after the shot.Another mature and even 6 pointer which i had watched a few morning ago chasing other bucks and that was the first territorial action ive seen this season.That morning i took a picture with him and 4 other bucks,3 mature,one yearling and all with 50m of each other.

Also had a wee cast with the fly rod hoping for a troot.Weather has been cold and wet and the rise has been minimal if at all.Lost/missed a few but didnt get a nice frier of aroond 3/4lb but very poor for this time.Last year by now we had had some great days with cracking rises but the water is still bitterly cold the now.Noticed a mink working the far bank and managed to squeak it into the water and get it within 5 metres before he sussed and swam away.

Once again,that is all.

new274_zps33e96857.jpgnew268_zpse1ee6267.jpgnew224_zps65e39312.jpgnew226_zps7005c7cb.jpgnew227_zps127c0bc4.jpgnew229_zps48b0f564.jpgnew233_zps25e8d60f.jpgnew235_zpsdc48c25f.jpgnew237_zpsf26cec01.jpgnew239_zps76cfcfaa.jpgnew244_zps191904cb.jpgnew246_zps301806da.jpgnew255_zpsac342c0e.jpgnew257_zps713ce0f8.jpgnew261_zpsb934e776.jpgnew262_zps93294f3a.jpgnew264_zpsb26a3c4f.jpgnew265_zps7239d2f4.jpg

I'm somewhat jealous looks like a cracking time has been had

Cracking time for sure fella.

As always great pictures and write up Dave - thanks for posting them.

Ta fella.

my god - you live in paradise :rolleyes:

Nay far off it fella.

As always gaji a braw read and some cracking pictures cracking morning here to but ******* freezing cold

Cheers Andrew.Aye,weather been grim but warming up hopefully.

Another cracking sporting week for you Dave top stuff fella! Do you ever ****en work you lazy ****. Lol

Top week for sure Alan.Afraid work does get done noo and again.