edinburgh..to see / do

TJ91

Taking the girlfriend for a short break in July. Will be 3/4days during a week.

She wants to go to the zoo so thats that.

Any recommendations of where to head? Things to do.

And where to stay? Cheap but not tacky, b n b would do, I would rather scrimp on where I stay so i can go for a nice meal and days out.

Oh and saying that..where to eat?

Thanks

Give kebab mahal a try if u manage it, you might as well go to the castle, plus I'm sure your mrs wouldn't be against a wander down princess street for jenners.

If your in the car have a day round East Lothian it's like 20 mins from Edinburgh it's gods country :)

Plenty b and bs on minto street which also has a travelodge at the far end its a 10-15 min walk on a nice day or 5 min on a bus. In a repectable area. Its a bit pricer to stay towards murrayfieldbut also plenty b&bs. The zoo is good and you get good views uptop of the hill but its a full day.

Food need a price range and favourites. If your going for drinks & food theres george street which is expensive and trendy with a livingroom, tiger lily and le-monde to name a few. Italians i like are piatto verde on dundee terrace and jamies italian on rose st. Both need booking in advance. For scottish food you can head to the kitchen. Its tom kitchens and is pricey so maybe a lunch but it is great if a bit poncey, theres also stac polly but again its not cheap.

If the weathers nice(which i doubt btw) a day wandering and stopping for drinks up the royal mile to the castle then down to princess st gardens is great. If weathers **** head to the dungeons as said above. Never been on one but the bus tours are always informative if not always gospel in what they say.

go to arthurs seat, but watch you dont get your back door smashed in by the gay boys :whistling:

Thats calton hill......you must have been so drunk you forgot!!!

Zoo isn't all that special to be honest,apart from the Penguins.have been a couple of times but only went the second time cos the kids were too young to remember the first visit!

Castle is worth a visit, but you'll have a long wait to get in in July.fringe is well worth a visit another time.

Loads of history and many other castles in East Lothian. North Berwick is worth a look, especially a boat trip round Bass Rock.

Call in at Olde Clubhouse in Gullane on your way back for a good meal. Can also recommend the Goblin Ha in Gifford but a bit out of your way.

You shouldn't get bored anyhow.

You have to take her to The Dome on George Street for a meal or drinks. The pubs along George Street are nice, Rose St is a little too 'Gothy' for me. To give you some idea about where these places are, they all run parallel behind Princes Street, Rose, then George. Ricks would be a good bet for a hotel. Tiger Lilly's for an afternoon tea, Harvey Nics etc.

The Royal Mile (other side of the gardens) is like a mini Blackpool........

Edited by markm

I've stayed twice at Balmore House Guest House in Gilmore Place,Edinburgh.Lovely and friendly hosts Bahman and Moureen Noafshar.Its not cheap but a lovely place to stay!!Balmore House is situated about 10 minutes walk from Princes St.

As you walk out of Gilmore Place you go down Lothian Rd.On Lothian Rd there's a lovely Italian Restaurant called "Bar Italia" which I highly recommend!

You have to take your girlfriend to "The Dome" on George Street-What a stunning place to eat and have a drink!This is a must go place IMO!!

As for a whacky crazy place the "Jekyll and Hyde" pub on Hanover Street is very strange indeed!!Berzerk infact!lol

ATB and enjoy your time in one of my favourite places!

I took the Mrs there a couple of years ago and we absolutely loved it, we stayed in the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa which has an amazing rooftop infinity spa pool. There is plenty to do and you can get some good deals on top hotels if you use the hotel comparison sites etc. We didn't have much time but we managed to squeeze a fair bit in.

1. Mercat tour - We did this one late at night http://www.mercattours.com/hidden-and-haunted.asp The vaults by candle light was terrifying and the guide was absolutely brilliant.

2. Mary Kings Close

3. Edinburgh Castle

4. Edinburgh Dungeons

5. Brittania (Queens old boat)

6. Royal Mile, Princes Street etc

Edited by Livefast123

Edinburgh see/do? see the road out...... do take it :lol::lol: get ya sel way up north Montrose or Aberdeen

Seen Aberdeen and montrose many many times. I want to see something different.

George Street/Rose Street/Royal Mile/Bruntsfield/Stockbridge for eats and you won't go far wrong.

Bruntsfield/Newington/Murrayfield for accommodation but being a south sider I'd go with Bruntsfield/Newington. If you stay on the south side the walks are nicer to the City Centre. If you stay on the West it's not so nice.

Have a great time

Edited by Laird Lugton

Ive been to Edinburgh more times than I can remember as one of my clients is there. I took the missus there the other year and had a great time. I usually stay in the Apex Waterloo or the George hotel, although check which hotels have offers on. You really need to get one in the centre.

If you get the train there, Waverley station is bang in the middle. If you fly in, then its about a 20min taxi from the airport to the city. Loads of roadworks as they are still building that £billion per mile tram system.

Loads of shopping to be done down Princes Street which overlooks a nice park, and the street behind that has loads of bars / pubs so good for a bit of a pub crawl or sitting outside people watching.

If you go to the Castle then its a nice walk down from the Castle down the High Street down to Cannon Gate - its a long road with loads of touristy shops etc.

Whilst near the Castle, id highly recommend the Camera Obscura, plus Mary Kings Close which is the underground town. The whisky experience I thought was a waste of time & money. The National Museum is also worth a look around and its free! Theres some lovely old pubs in the grassmarket area and you can easily find enough stuff to do for 3 days.

We saw Les Mis at the theatre whilst we were there - so there may be some show on you can checkout. Its a lovely old theatre.

Food wise, theres all the normal places, like Bella Italia etc. Ive eaten at Vittoria on the bridge, and the "Outsider", both lovely places although possibly a bit more pricey.

All in all, its a cracking place to visit.