News on gamefair today (Friday)

slimshooter

I was there today with middle daughter.

Traffic was ok - in a steady moving queuing down from M42, but it was to be expected. Car parking was first class and straight in.

It was busy, but not manic inside. A lot of the tents are very hot indeed so take plenty of water. Unless you are exhibiting with dogs - leave them at home, glad I did!

I dipped out at 3pm exhausted, but had been there from early doors...

I arrived at 1pm with not a car to be seen in front of me. As others have said it was very hot indeed and there were people as well as dogs suffering in the high temperatures. The coolest places were in the marquees funnily enough, including the bars.

When I left at 4:45 I sailed straight out and travelled the 30 miles home in 40 minutes.

I always find the Game Fair very 'samey' and vow never to go back but I always do.

I arrived at about 12 and drove straight into the campsite. It's really hot and have for all 3 dogs as nobody could have them for me. They've been in the pool a few times and run under the taps, and a lot if the stands have got water bowls so they haven't suffered too much. I wish I could say the same, I've done £50 on drinks and ice creams in an afternoon!!! And I'm here for another two days!!! :/

Was enjoyable day arrived at 8am and left at 7pm, sore feet know, nice to go and browse but no bargains. Took family who have never been to a gamefair and they enjoyed the day, went and watched bidwell which if fun to watch. Thankfully weather was cooler, wife still managed to catch to much Sun.

Really enjoyed today first time to the CLA and will defenetly won't be last, food & drinks rip off prices, few bargains to be had, traffic was not bad also enjoyed John Bidwell trick shooting, I won't waste my money any more on the small local fairs save my cash & go either to the CLA or the Midland.

Went on the friday arriving at 10.30 as the last 20 miles took over an hour due to traffic

The weather required constant liquid intake and £2 for a bottle of coke is a bit steep but, hey, its a captive market and as some have said on here, you could take your own ( although 6 hrs just carrying myself around, let alone a cool bag, was enough for me)

My friend who went with me had just got his sgc and had only shot 3 cartridges before.

He paid £18 for a tuition session on the Countryside Alliance where he got nearly 30 minutes one-to-one coaching ( which I thought was fantastic value) and hit 9 out of 12.

He was smiling all the way home.

Though he has got a lot to learn, had a new sgc and a credit card with him and came home without a gun, I never showed that kind of restraint in my life. I'll soon knock that out of him

..... and came home without a gun, I never showed that kind of restraint in my life. I'll soon knock that out of him

I think he is very wise. The game fair is not an ideal place to purchase a first gun, and much better to spend time with a dealer and have a chance to try without pressure. I'm glad the coaching was such a success - and as you say, seems very good value

I think he is very wise. The game fair is not an ideal place to purchase a first gun, and much better to spend time with a dealer and have a chance to try without pressure. I'm glad the coaching was such a success - and as you say, seems very good value

I totally agree with your comments John

But I still would have been like a (55 yr old) kid in a sweet shop

He does have an old head on young shoulders, perhaps its me with something to learn

ATB

Baz

I totally agree with your comments John

But I still would have been like a (55 yr old) kid in a sweet shop

He does have an old head on young shoulders, perhaps its me with something to learn

ATB

Baz

I'm a 57 year old kid(!), but this year (I went on Friday) - nothing 'must have' was encountered, so I came away after a hot but enjoyable day, wallet largely intact!

Friday was very hot and prices for food and drink were frightening, but for traders the pitch fees are frightening also, spoke to a mate with a ten foot frontage on a corner and he had to pay over £2000 for his piece of grass. Most traders work the first two days just to cover there expenses then hopefully make some money on the last day. I spoke to another selling clothing and few people were buying, though he was selling loads of panama hats but as he said theirs no money in hats.

Cheaper food and drink is always in the "Good Food Show". Hot Dogs, burgers (of almost any animal), pulled pork etc at between £3-50 and £5-00. Drinks are a whole lot cheaper cider typically £3-00 a pint, but buy a 1-2 litre carry out at £2-50 per pint and it is the real deal at typically 6-7%. Have to be careful in the heat though. Even the food boys struggled as nobody was buying much/not their product. Word on the street was that numbers were some 50,000 down on previous years. There were ticket touts trying to sell "used" e-tickets - folks stopped because once a ticket had been scanned in it could not be used again. Burglary at the campsite - plod caught some. A few possible "******" had booked a pitch - inside job? Will think twice about on site in future.