Solar panels ...could you run a house

jasper3

just a quick question....

we are looking at buying a barn.... electric is close by, but not connected... i have heard this could cost upto £10k to get connected..so !!!! i was thinking, could you run a 3 bedroom house/barn on solar panels

there is just the two of us..i would look at a 4 kw set up ...... any ideas?

Edited by jasper3

My mate and his dippy "ecomentalist" wife decided to heat their water using solar power. They live in the depths of North Wales, a place not renown for hits glorious sunshine. It cost them about £3k to get it fitted and they now enjoy lovely warm water for about 3 months of the year and water that is tepid at best for the remaining 9 months.

thanks lads..i did wonder, the kettle would be boiled on LPG cooker... i know what ever route i take, it will cost £££££ s :lol:

the water would be heated (most of the time ) with a wood burning system, it would have been mainly for low voltage lights , TV PC and washing machine,

cooking would be either LPG or wood burner..its ok lads, i'm not about to hug a tree.... just looking at a different lifestyle.... (see council house thread) :)

We researched solar power this year. Average return is about 8%, install costs for us for a 4kw system was just over 6k, it's a good supplemental supply but not good enough to run a house. We fitted a device that diverts any excess energy to the immersion heater, so we never pay to heat the water any more which was a big expense. I think we have more than halved bills and last quarter got paid £250 back for the energy produced. I thinks it well worth doing as a return of 8% is a lot more than you'll get for cash in the bank!! The system should be in profit after 8-10 years, it's on a 20yr tariff so should have 10-12 yrs of it making money as well as reduced bills.

thanks lads..i did wonder, the kettle would be boiled on LPG cooker... i know what ever route i take, it will cost £££££ s :lol:

the water would be heated (most of the time ) with a wood burning system, it would have been mainly for low voltage lights , TV PC and washing machine,

cooking would be either LPG or wood burner..its ok lads, i'm not about to hug a tree.... just looking at a different lifestyle.... (see council house thread) :)

Get yourself a nice sofa! Hint!

You need to watch that Grand Designs episode where a chap built a timber house in a forest and powered it with solar panels and a small wind turbine. He had a shed full of ex-submarine batteries for when it wasnt very sunny/still day and said it powered his laptop just fine.

I'll continue being hooked up to the national grid thank you....

I am looking at two properties at the moment... property 1 has a septic tank, water and electric on site.... the other is £35k less but no septic tank..water is near by and electric is near by, they both have a barn to convert...

the 2nd one has also a small stone barn for storage/ workshop...

the 1st one has a brand new 60ft x 30ft GP building and a 50ft x 25ft hay barn as well as the barn for conversion

the 2nd one comes with a 1 acre paddock....where as the 1st one, comes with 1/2 acre paddock.... but the chance to buy a further 5 acres next door for £25K

the 1st one has south facing fields , the 2nd one is north west facing

the difference is the £35k ..... which may not sound a great deal..... but its £35k i havn't got at the moment..and mortgage companies won't lend on barn conversions..they will only lend on doing the place up..not buying it

I have Solar Panels and have seen my bills drop considerably. They don't run the house but they do save in the long term.

Solar heating is defo worth it. Even tepid water is a good staeting point to heat. To bring water from cold to tepid would save about 70% of the energy.

I was reading about a guy who dug out 2 trenches 6 feet deep and laid 6" piping leading into the house and using a small fan to draw air in. 6 feet deep aparently remains a constant 16° so in the winter it helps heat the house, and in summer helps cool it.

I have Solar Panels and have seen my bills drop considerably. They don't run the house but they do save in the long term.

Solar heating is defo worth it. Even tepid water is a good staeting point to heat. To bring water from cold to tepid would save about 70% of the energy.

I was reading about a guy who dug out 2 trenches 6 feet deep and laid 6" piping leading into the house and using a small fan to draw air in. 6 feet deep aparently remains a constant 16° so in the winter it helps heat the house, and in summer helps cool it.

Ground source heat pump?

My old firm used to install geothermal piles. They had pipe work incorporated into the reinforcement cage that was later plumbed into the buildings heating system thus harnessing the earths core heat. Very cheap energy in the long run.

slight issue with geothermal is you need electricity to run the pump :whistling:

Simple answer to this one is pay the money and get connected, unless buying in full odds are any mortgage company would require it to be connected to mains electricity. There isn't any setup suited to modern living so far that can provide all the electricity in a modern house at all times of day. Steps you can take to cut the costs is finding separate contractors to run cables possibly with you digging the trench etc and that is the route I'd go down to try and save first