Magnum boots opinions please

MBW

Looking to get a pair of Gucci magnum boots for work, waterproof steel toe etc, but I can't find any that are just big standard lace up they all have this daft side zip, has anyone used these boots and if so what like? I have been told by a mate who is a fireman that the boots he is issued with have side zips and he recons they're mince, my boots get a hell of a punishment and I'm not bothered about paying top doller as long as they're gonna last at least a year, however not keen on spending a whack load of cash for boots that are gonna have bust zips after a wee while

Cheers in advance

Cheap Chinese rubbish that'll last months not years. The best boots I know off are made by Alt-Berg. A Yorkshire company. Mine have lasted years and they will re-sole them for a reasonable price. Lots of styles. Cost a bit more but the poor man pays twice as they say.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/

Edited by byjovecarruthers

If they're as bad as people say than they must have changed. I wear a 12 year old pair to work and they're lasting OK. Very comfortable, good ankle support & polish well for wear as uniform.

Mine are five years old but they don't get heavy use. As for zips on the sides I've a pair of Harley Davidson made in China boots with side zips after eight years so far so good and they're waterproof to the point I don't get wet feet on the bike

LOWA are excellent boots but I have found them to be heavy. They were originally an alpine ski mountaineering boot and first became popular in the 80s with soldiers serving in Germany retaining a following to now. Mine are Gortex lined and insulated so I only really wear them when there is snow on the ground. I don't like them for long distances as the weight is noticeable, also if they get wet they take forever to dry out. Very tough boot though.

I also have several pairs of Alt-Berg boots. They offer a greater variety if styles and in my opinion better quality. Also the after sales service from Alt-Berg is exceptional. They will resole the boot quickly for about £30. I have a lightweight pair I have worn daily for about 5 years that have been resoled 3 times and are as good as new. The heavier pair I have had for 7 years and have resoled once. Alt-Berg do take a few weeks to break in but soon become like slippers.

Incidentally I find that Gortex lined boots are almost pointless as a good pair of well treated leather boots keep water out anyway and a membrane is only as breathable as the leather upper. Keep your boots clean and dry them naturally and they will give years of service.

I'd need to know what you intend to do whilst wearing the boots to offer sensible advice. I noticed in your OP you mentioned a steel toe. As far as I'm aware LOWA don't do produce a steel toe but Alt-Berg do and in fact provide many of the UK police forces with public order boots. In summary I'd go with Alt-Berg. On a final note if you are covering miles in any footwear don't scrimp on socks! Rubbish socks will cause blisters and render the best and most comfortable boots useless. Hope this helps.

Didn't realise lowas weren't steel toes, looks like its going to be alt bergs, hope they live up to the reputation,

Byjovecarruthers - going to be using the boots for work I'm a grave digger, so looking for something hard wearing they must be steel toe cap and preferably waterproof but not necessary I'm just to lazy to change in and out of Wellys all the time

Magnums must have gone down hill then! Used to work the doors, Thurs, Fri, Sat nights 5-7 hrs a night and they were very comfy boots, never fell apart, spot on. This was around 10 years ago and had them for 5 years. Gave them to a lad at work when I wrapped in. These were lace ups mind, no puffy zips here!

I got my dad a pair of high lace up boots with no zip made by hi Tec magnum and they have so far lasted him about 8 years just changing the laces, he loves them and says they are the best boots he has ever had, his don't have steel toe caps in though.

Edited by smokinggun