Stopping drinking for a month

delburt0

I am not a big drinker and the less time I spend at the Pub the better. I suppose I am fortunate that the taste of alcohol doesnt sit all that well with me, so leisurely drinking is a no no.

However I do "binge" drink around 4 times a year where I often dont return home for a day or two!

Stick at it, this may be the beginning of a lifestyle change for you.

Drinking used to be my main hobby but since I was introduced to clay shooting I have cut back massively as all the good local shoots start at 10am on the dot, the nearest is about a 45 min drive and I like to get there a early to help out a bit if I can. So gone are the 10-12 pint Friday nights and the lost Saturday mornings before getting back on it in the early afternoon, having been replaced with 3, maybe 4 pints on a Friday evening and I may stretch to 6 on a Saturday afternoon but am home by 8pm at the latest and usually in bed by 10:30. All so I can get up and shoot in the mornings. Still like a drink but I have no 'off switch' and the more drunk I get the more I want to drink. However I now enjoy shooting more than drinking, this can only be a good thing. Trouble is drinking is far, far cheaper lol. All the best to you and hope you can stick with it.

Well 3 days in and as far as it goes I'm feeling a lot better with more energy especially on a morning, even started eating more healthier just had my porridge with a banana and a pint of orange, makes a difference from 2 bacon and sausage sarnies and a pint of Nescafé ....

Good lad, for six yrs now I've stopped drinking on ny day, furthest ive made it is six months without, feels so much better without beer in my life. That combined with my first little human on the way I think I might automatically stop entirley

Keep going, the longer the easier it is

This has kind of co incided well for me,

I've been doing that Insanity workout at home for a couple of weeks, totally changed diet and eating 5 small healthy meals a day and not drinking.

I'm feeling great for it, real ales are my vice though so I'm not going to totally deny myself, just go dry this month then cut back in general.

It's easier said than done though eh!!!

i dont generally drink that much. i started to drink more now i brew.

i ended up bottling home brew in 1/2 pints.

i do drink becks blue as well, the alcohol free stuff, its great for when you need to hydrate.

when I first started home brew I did drink more but now since I have a stockpile I don't as often... can't remember the last time I bought beer or wine from a shop

I found that the biggest problem for me is wine boxes, you don't know how much you've had. At least with a bottle you can see if you've had half of it and stop.

I got into box wine when I was travelling round Australia with the missus years ago. Kaiser Stuhl party box, a blend of red diesel and balsamic vinegar. It was the cheapest way to have a drink when you're on a strict budget. (Lesson learned: don't get cheap red wine hangovers in 40 degree heat. Life's too short.) As you say its frightening how quickly you get through it then you can't see what you've had, especially when you're drinking out of a 1/2 pint tin mug. And if you take the the bag out of the box when its empty and inflate it like a balloon you can get another glass out of it. Bargain! At least with beer the missus could count the empties...

I found that the biggest problem for me is wine boxes, you don't know how much you've had. At least with a bottle you can see if you've had half of it and stop.

Put the full box on the scales, when weight is down to whatever fraction of the box you want, stop drinking. Does require mild arithmetic though, which may be tricky after a few :lol:

Drink out of a vase! You can probably empty the box into a decent sized vase then once you think you've had sufficient, just pop some cling film over and put it in the fridge for your next excursion to the fridge.