Pigeon Decoying

chrispti

Haven't really been out after the pigeons this year, but after being informed there were a few on a young rape field, I thought it would be a good opportunity to fill the freezer.

Went out early for a morning flight on the marsh first, then after some breakfast went and had a look for the pigeons.

There wasn't much about, but the person who informed me did say they were not active until mid to late afternoon, so I set up anyway.

Started off with 10 flocked shell decoys on spring sticks, placed out in 2 groups 30 yrds out from the hide. After dropping the first 2 pigeons, I set the rotary out , 10 yards out off to the left of my hide.

The first few hours were slow, but as informed, it started to pick up about 14.30...

It eased off again about 17.00 and I packed up at 17.30.

Had a good afternoon testing out and getting used to the new semi auto.

Finished up with 118 picked up 115.

post-11306-0-52408200-1380913108_thumb.jpg

post-11306-0-39487500-1380913120_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrispti

I just thought when I seen the post, not heard from you for ages

but its a return in style great bag :good:

very interesting that they were shot on young rape with stubbles still around and drillings gone in

The rape was direct drilled straight after the wheat was cut. Its 6" high in places already.

excellent bag fella. shot with competition 7.5 shells by the look of it too. nicely done. :good:

Excellent bag , good to see you back at them . What cartridges are you using !!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Well done again. Brilliant result for shooting on a hunch.

I was using Kent velocity 29g 6s :good:

The rape was direct drilled straight after the wheat was cut. Its 6" high in places already.

I was using Kent velocity 29g 6s :good:

so they could still be after any seed that's left plus the added attraction of the rape

I was thinking to meself they must be 6s your using because I know your dead against using 7.5s on pigeons

Nice going, Chris.

Are the pigeons actually eating the rape or are they finding some left over grain?

Rape mate, there's no wheat left.

Edit to add; The rape is a good 6" high but the pigeons have grazed patches of the field, down to nothing.

Edited by chrispti

Not bad mate, ta.

How's you? Been a while :good:

all good (apart from recent injury to leg) been busy dog training, keepering and shooting foxes soon as the season finishes come up for a day on the rape with me if ya like I love watching you hit them ultra high birds id neva dream of having a pop at :-)

all good (apart from recent injury to leg) been busy dog training, keepering and shooting foxes soon as the season finishes come up for a day on the rape with me if ya like I love watching you hit them ultra high birds id neva dream of having a pop at :-)

:lol: will do mate...

Let me know if you fancy a flight on the ducks mate, Irl sort it out for you :good: