Cat or fox?

spandit

Went out on my permission tonight, without a gun, to see if the advice I'd be offered by a friend of where to go was sound.

As soon as I switched my torch on, three rabbits bolted for cover, right in front of a good back stop. I then moved over the field towards another boundary and shone the torch along the hedgerow. After a bit of squeaking, I suddenly had two eyes trained on me, shining white in the torchlight (no filter). I squeaked a bit more but they vanished. What are the tell tale signs of a fox rather than a cat?

Have you ever shot a cat by accident?

Went out on my permission tonight, without a gun, to see if the advice I'd be offered by a friend of where to go was sound.

As soon as I switched my torch on, three rabbits bolted for cover, right in front of a good back stop. I then moved over the field towards another boundary and shone the torch along the hedgerow. After a bit of squeaking, I suddenly had two eyes trained on me, shining white in the torchlight (no filter). I squeaked a bit more but they vanished. What are the tell tale signs of a fox rather than a cat?

Have you ever shot a cat by accident?

Tin hat time

Believe me. I'm not going to shoot unless I can positively identify the quarry but I read of people shooting foxes at night over long distances. Perhaps I would have seen more through a scope. I'm guessing this isn't the kind of thing that people would admit to even if they had?

If anyone has ever shot a species 'by accident' then, in my opinion, they are / were not fit to be in possession of a FAC.

If you cannot clearly identify your target, then you have no idea if the eyes you are shooting at belong to a dog, badger, fox, cat, sheep, goat, deer, child ...

Edit ... in fact, wasn't there a case a few years ago where a bat recorder was shot 'by accident' by someone after foxes ?

Edited by robbiep

I find that cats eyes shine green, whereas foxes are a very bright orange. I don't know how you could mix the 2 up, there are like night and day difference.

This is right in my experience too. Height is another thing you could consider as fox's are a lot taller.

I don't think we should bash this guy too badly as he did say he went "without a gun" and was just asking for advice on ID'ing different species.

Its good that your going out to check the safe areas and learning what is what.

As others have said the most important thing to remember if you are in any doubt that it is either not safe, or not the right species just don't pull the trigger.

These eyes were white. Difficult to tell how high they were as couldn't really see the ground.

One of my dogs has bright white eyes, the other has bright orange (in torchlight) - it's one way I identify them at night, the other is the way they move. I don't know enough about fox (or cat/badger etc.) behaviour to use that to my advantage.

don't think we should bash this guy too badly as he did say he went "without a gun" and was just asking for advice on ID'ing different species

HERE, HERE he is only asking a fair question and should be answered accordingly,

Fair play mate theirs nowt wrong in asking,

Fox eye shine is usually bright orange, but never just rely on the eyeshine, as some of the above posts have said , positive ID first before you pull that trigger , if your unsure don't let the shot go,( but im sure you already know that)

ATB

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Apologies if it sounded as though I was bashing the OP, that was not my intention. It is clear the poster is inexperienced, but when you are a bit more experienced there is no way you could mix both up.

As many have said, don't just fire at eyes. I was lamping last week and I could only see eyes through the scope; I knew it was a fox as I saw it when it was closer, however, I am never happy firing at eyes because you don't know what was the fox is standing etc.

This is right in my experience too. Height is another thing you could consider as fox's are a lot taller.

I don't think we should bash this guy too badly as he did say he went "without a gun" and was just asking for advice on ID'ing different species.

Its good that your going out to check the safe areas and learning what is what.

As others have said the most important thing to remember if you are in any doubt that it is either not safe, or not the right species just don't pull the trigger.

The one on the left is a cat, the one on the right is a fox.Glad i could help :good::lol:

rnnb.jpg

i have let so many foxes live even though i know they are fox but not just 100 percent, i can tell how they act most of the time as a deer,sheep,cow and some times cats usually keep still and don't move, a fox looks more paranoid i always say and never stops blinking also moving as well, as said above i do believe more folk have let loose at targets more than what they will write on here but thats just human nature.atb simon.....

Went out again last night and saw the eyes again. They watched me for a few minutes and didn't seem too bothered by the dogs. When one came within a few feet, they disappeared. I suspect it's a cat but couldn't pick it out in my torch. Quite eery having something looking at you in the dark...

• 2 months later...
Went out again last night and saw the eyes again. They watched me for a few minutes and didn't seem too bothered by the dogs. When one came within a few feet, they disappeared. I suspect it's a cat but couldn't pick it out in my torch. Quite eery having something looking at you in the dark...

A torch is no good get yourself a tidy lamp or if you have a few quid invest in the NS200.. I wouldn't part with mine it's given me excellent results even when spotting you see plenty of animals you wouldn't have seen with a lamp e.g Woodcock,Badgers etc just "AWESOME"...!!

ATB

chm