Remembrance Day

Grayson

Obviously today is remembrance day. Do you think all those millions from all sides who died in the world wars would look at Britain today with its "celeb" culture, teenage pregnancies, booze culture, greedy bankers, big brother society and not feel a little bit let down with the freedom they gave to us with their lives. If it was me, I have to be honest I would be feeling a bit bloomin' peeved!!

Any I for one will remember them at 11am and say thank you as well as sorry we messed it up a bit!

On the other hand Grayson, yesterday we had record attendances at two church services and the wreath laying at the village War Memorial.

We are a small rural village in North Suffolk. Nearly 400 in the church - Scouts and Guides etc.

Half the village at the memorial afterwards.

I think they would approve of that.

I had a mooch around Milton Keynes shopping centre yesterday afternoon and was surprised by the amount of people not wearing a poppy. Many of my generation too who would've been brought up with wearing them as a matter of course. It's accepted that a donation may have been made but one normally goes with the other.

On the other hand Grayson, yesterday we had record attendances at two church services and the wreath laying at the village War Memorial.

We are a small rural village in North Suffolk. Nearly 400 in the church - Scouts and Guides etc.

Half the village at the memorial afterwards.

I think they would approve of that.

Yes they would

Obviously the huge majority of people on here appreciate and are grateful for the sacrifices many made on our behalf. :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

But I think today is a good time to reflect also on what we have done with that hard earned freedom. Tomorrow perhaps, lets not take anything away from their achievements/sacrifice and our gratitude today!

Edited by Dekers

i went to our local town one yesterday ,the pipe band followed by all the other groups etc ,stood outside it was freezing but well worth getting cold , there was a few time the old tears came, not just of sadness , but of bride also broud of our great troops and to all those we have lost in the wars ........

Obviously today is remembrance day. Do you think all those millions from all sides who died in the world wars would look at Britain today with its "celeb" culture, teenage pregnancies, booze culture, greedy bankers, big brother society and not feel a little bit let down with the freedom they gave to us with their lives. If it was me, I have to be honest I would be feeling a bit bloomin' peeved!!

Any I for one will remember them at 11am and say thank you as well as sorry we messed it up a bit!

Do you mean a society that is free, and tolerant of others, that helps genuine people who have been oppressed in their country,a country where you are free to speak your mind, and post anything you want on the internet,a country where you are free to travel anywhere you want and to leave and come back from other countries.

A country where the sick are treated and the out of work helped,and the disabled are cared for.

A country that i am proud off and even though it has a lot of faults is the envy of most of the world.

I like to think that most would look down and say it 'aint perfect but they are giving it a dam good go.

If you want to respect their memory and do not like what you see ,then try to change it one day at a time.

Do you mean a society that is free, and tolerant of others, that helps genuine people who have been oppressed in their country,a country where you are free to speak your mind, and post anything you want on the internet,a country where you are free to travel anywhere you want and to leave and come back from other countries.

A country where the sick are treated and the out of work helped,and the disabled are cared for.

A country that i am proud off and even though it has a lot of faults is the envy of most of the world.

I like to think that most would look down and say it 'aint perfect but they are giving it a dam good go.

If you want to respect their memory and do not like what you see ,then try to change it one day at a time.

Must say I actually agree - I didn't think I did but I just pondered for a moment and realised that we are all too interested in the minorities who don't get what they want etc... however I have been cared for when I have been injured, i have been helped when I was out of work (temporarily) etc... with the amount of people this country has - we can't please everyone eh?

I think many old British soldiers from ww2 would be disgusted with modern Britain

But many weren't fighting for country they were fighting for each other

I know my grandad went through Dunkirk till the end of the war and binned his medals in disgust at the country he fought for

Most ww2 veterans grew up in the shadow of ww1 ,slums in every major city was standard,children died at an alarming rate,and if you wanted a doctor you paid for it.

Working conditions were dire with fatalities in factories common place,and pay was what the boss wanted to pay,there were no rules about hire or fire.

Lets not put those rose tinted glasses on,40's Britain was not a picnic if you lived in a city,and country folk worked their socks off with rudimentary tools and equipment.

If you complained and tried to have a march, the chances are you would be beaten by the authorities.

I'm old enough to remember the forties.

Believe me, they would be very happy with most things in modern Britain.

Confused as well but that is only natural with the passing time.

Britain is not perfect but it could be a hell of a lot worse than it is.

They fought for our freedom and we have more of it than they would ever think possible.

I have noticed a lack of poppy sellers not many shops are selling them like they used too

Not sure about this year but Morrison at Killingworth told the poppy seller last year not to stand outside their shop

I have been selling poppies for the last 3 years and the hard bit is getting people midweek evenings. On Saturday morning between 9:30 and 1:00, my collection box was almost full of coin and I counted £60.00 in notes being put in.

It's our local Asda and it can be a real eye opener. Those that you think do, don't, those that you think don't, do.

Many who gave said they had got one at home or lost one so wanted to give again.

At my school we sell poppies and observe the two-minute silence. I preparation, we have tutor meetings where a couple of the well-known poems are read and the kids asked to reflect on the sacrifices made and still being made, and the innocent victims of war.

Our Head of History and Head Boy represented the school in Ypres at the weekend, at a ceremony where soil from the battlefields was presented to be brought to the UK. You may have seen him interviewed on ITN News at the weekend. We also do our bit to educate by organising a tour of the battlefields, during which we attend the evening ceremony at the Menin Gate. Those who have been will know how moving that is. For those with children or grandchildren, if they have the opportunity, try to ensure they go although I appreciate there is a cost - it is well worth it and a lot less than millions have paid.

Nick

I'm pretty sure that all the above mentioned ill's of society and quite a few more were still as prelevant during all of the 20th century including the war years.

The main difference now is the speed and ease that news in general is so much more accessable,for instance if you were knocked down by a car in say Sidney Australia someone could send a picture of the incident to England before the ambulance arrived with a mobile telephone ..

Remember that during that around the war years the main means of communication was still mail or if you were lucky telegram ,phones in the majority of houses were still a rarity . Newspapers were extremely prudent and conservative in their content ,radio was much the same and very unlikely to print or brooadcast reports of societys problem people.

We now have jeremy Kyle and countless others force feeding us the more colourful people of society as well as every tabloid in the land ,how many times have you seen the headline "Mother of 10 gets bigger house "? or " Girl of 13 has twins " did it happen in the war years ? of course it did , just wasn't reported as it is today.

I honestly think the old boys and girls who won the freedom we now enjoy would probably say "When you strip away the fancy cars televisions and the like,nothing much has changed "

Edited by Jega