How good is "good enough"?

danro

Hi all

I'm new to shotgunning and never shot at pigeon with one.

I'm currently practising on the clays and wondered at what stage you chaps would consider a clay shooter to be "good enough" to move onto live quarry.

I'm breaking the clays fine.... but there again, I know which way they are coming from and going to so scores will be a little misleading.

I've been airgun hunting for years so I'm a great believer in taking the most humane shot you can.. but shotgunners are going for moving targets so there is much more skill needed in shot placement in a very short space of time compared to airguns where fieldcraft is king and the shot a formality.

Your comments will be interesting.

Cheers

If you feel you have the mount , swing and eye coordinated with the gun then thats the time.

A reasonably different kettle of fish shooting woodpigeon, many clay shooters that I know of muff their averages with real pigeon than what they get on clays, but dont get frustrated if that happens just enjoy it keep cool and it will come together.

Good luck

Edited by deny essex

I have took some very good clay shooters pigeon shooting and the birds have made them look like novices :yes:

Go when you feel confident but expect to struggle for a start as long as you have the basics , good mount / gun fit etc then you will get better the more you go as you start to build sight pictures easier.

The main thing is to remember unlike a clay a pigeon will be speeding up lots of time, where as a clay is slowing.

Thanks to the Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club I've had the opportunity to shoot at lots of grounds that are set up for "game shooters". The clays are bloody easy. I have been advised by a BASC coach that being able to shoot standard English sporting presentations of clays at 40 yards would make you quite good enough for a game shoot. It's more about learning how to use your gun and follow through. Also, being secure enough in your gun mount to go gun down, which I did ten minutes into my first sim day. Oh, my arms!

If you want to go and shoot pigeon try DTL ;-)

The humble woody can present you with as much in the way of sporting shooting diversity as any game bird IMHO.

Personally speaking I don't bother with clays, never found a decent recipe for them! ;)

Best to get out there once you feel you are up to it, don't be too disheartened if early results don't come up to expectation, very few of us don't have the odd bad day out there even if usually shooting good numbers.

One of the best days I had was shooting pigeons on a flight line directly down wind in a howling gale, had to lead them by a 5 bar gate and some of the hit birds, dead in the air, landed a good 100 yards down wind of my hide. It wasn't a massive bag but very rewarding shooting.

If you can shoot a gun you can hit pigeons - it just depends when you choose to shoot them :yes:

When I set up I like to watch the first couple land and I'll shoot one on the floor and the other as it takes off - gives me confidence the pattern is attractive enough to them and I've had a couple of shots so settled down a bit.

Then I'll shoot the next ones as they are slowing and coming in to land. Once I'm 'in the swing' I'll shoot them as flaring crossers, which is when pigeon shooting is at it's best (and most addictive).

Just don't take wild pot shots at jinking distant birds - know your limit. If you only feel confident at dropping birds when the 'landing gear is down' then there's nothing actually wrong with that - Just enjoy it :good:

Thanks to the Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club I've had the opportunity to shoot at lots of grounds that are set up for "game shooters". The clays are bloody easy. I have been advised by a BASC coach that being able to shoot standard English sporting presentations of clays at 40 yards would make you quite good enough for a game shoot. It's more about learning how to use your gun and follow through. Also, being secure enough in your gun mount to go gun down, which I did ten minutes into my first sim day. Oh, my arms!

If you want to go and shoot pigeon try DTL ;-)

why would you shoot DTL as practice for pigeons, that would be great if every bird you shot at was going away from you

sporting clays is perfect practice for woodies different targets, angles, speeds, etc I used to shoot clays quite a lot, and when I did shoot pigeons after a round of sporting days or the week after I hardly missed a bird

why would you shoot DTL as practice for pigeons, that would be great if every bird you shot at was going away from you

sporting clays is perfect practice for woodies different targets, angles, speeds, etc I used to shoot clays quite a lot, and when I did shoot pigeons after a round of sporting days or the week after I hardly missed a bird

Please note my little winking smiley, indicating I was being at the least arch.

As it happens, shooting DTL is about an instinctive response, which is coincidentally what I believe some people here say is important when shooting pigeon. This underlines my point that it's about learning to use your gun.

Please note my little winking smiley, indicating I was being at the least arch.

As it happens, shooting DTL is about an instinctive response, which is coincidentally what I believe some people here say is important when shooting pigeon. This underlines my point that it's about learning to use your gun.

any shooting is an instinctive response,, mount swing shoot, but if your only shooting at a certain target ie going away how does that help on a 50 yard crossing or high driven pigeon ,pheasant etc

ok we all have different styles and ways of shooting, but pigeon shooting is more instinctive than clay shooting

Daz , is right it's very instinctive , you have to judge where the bird will be. I can not comment on comparisons as I've never shot at clays. It's back to basic skills if you can let the first bird in land and shoot the next one coming in and then the first as it lifts off you will give yourself a good chance.

Shooting pigeons is something that's very difficult to 'practice' for. Yes, clays help, but pigeons tend not to fly over when you shout "PULL!".

Try a compact sporting layout, with a friend launching targets randomly, and wear good ear defenders so you can't hear the traps working. This will help with your instinctive shooting. (and start with gun unmounted, as there can be long periods of inaction).