4 x 4 double cab

bullet dodger

Just been told I can pick a 4x4 double cab for work .Road tested Ford Ranger today and well impressed. Any one got one and if so whats the long term ownership like ? Any annoying niggles ? Hilux getting a bit dated but still good and not convinced about 2 litre engine in the Amarok. Dont fancy a Navara. Isuzu is quite agricultural.

Any feedback welcome,

Cheers

I tend to think that most cars/trucks tend to do what it says on the box you will always have people who had a bad or good one telling you that you should get one or not touch one with a barge pole I would just buy the one that I liked the look of best after all you will probably only have it for a year or two at most if its a work truck.

I brought an 06 plate Ranger 5 years ago best thing I ever brought still going strong , get it serviced once a year had no problems at all , as Gutty Boots says change the tyres and they go most places I use mine for carting corn all over the shoot use it as a game cart on shoot days and have even been known to take the missus out in it :yes: mind you she did moan about the smell

Before I bought my Ranger I checked the system worldwide for warranty issues...there were virtually none to worry about. I wouldn't have a Navara/L200 due to reliability issue (huge amount of engine failures) or a VW due to the fact VWs have ****-poor engineering/quality. Isuzu or Toyota are the only real competition. You wouldn't be unhappy with a Ranger/Isuzu/Hi-lux and you'd be very, very unlucky to have any issues.

I bought a second hand Ranger 7yrs ago its a W reg and it has given me no problems at all. All I have done is service ever year and just lately odds and sod gone wrong eg all 4 front ball joints replaced, 2 front drive shaft gators and the biggest job new rear leaf spring after a leaf broke. Also change of tyres etc. This truck has hauled chipboard and plywood both 20mm thick and a full load at that also 1000 kg of ballast and 72 concrete blocks the 7N ones not light weight thermo ones. Takes it all in its stride best buy I ever made in the transport dept.

• 3 weeks later...

nicest to drive on road = navara

best value for money = ranger

best resale value = hi-lux

best off road = ranger,hi-lux & isuzu

best on fuel (brand new trucks) = ranger aparently

best build quality = hilux + isuzu (ranger is mechanically great but still rust badly!)

im a hi-lux man all the way they are expensive and hold there vlaue well hence why you get a lot more ranger for the money! these are the two ive had the most good experence with and are the two id go for! i have herd the isuzu's are also good ive not heard a bad thing about them if im honest but the two ive drove did seem a lot cheaper built than the ford and hi-lux.

l200's and navara, well i know there will be plenty of people on here that own them and havnt had any issue, But! 90% of navaras that i have known even the new ones suffer from engine issues i saw a 63 plate one the other day that had the same engine failure as the old ones they were being quite cagey about it but said it was the same engine issues as the old one!

and l200's seem to be very hit and miss ive known plenty of people to have regular gearbox issues, head issues and turbo issues! it seems to be the warriors and animals more than any other for some reason the 4work ones seem ok you never get that many issues from them it would seem!

so in closing i personlly would look at either a:

hilux

ranger

isuzu

they recon the new ranger is the class leader at the mo ! were you looking to go brand new or old?