Legalities on lamping (only) from roadside

Robby22

Hi All,

As topic title states, we were out lamping last week and got stopped by one of our local constabulary, after he had checked us out as having permission and being logged in with police hq, he then asked us if we had been lamping from the roadside - and if we had it was classed as a distraction to motorists/offence, he also stated that if we were lamping from the roadside "it would be tempting to take a shot from there"

I replied stating that we are and always have been law abiding shooters, and that we sometimes lamp to spot, and then call up down our off-road tracks - as it doesn't chew up the mud tracks when there is nothing there, I also offered to let him see my rifle with the bolt/magazine removed (it was in a zipped up slip) to which he declined.

He the said he was going to log it with hq that we were lamping from the road and insinuated that it could make renewal of certificates difficult???? He then let us get going.

Now it's clear to me an the lads I was with that he was against shooting because in the 3 years we have been actively lamping weekly we have been stopped about a dozen times and they have always been fine with us, but my questions are

1) is lamping from the roadside an offence?

2) if it is an offence would it make renewals difficult?

Thanks in advance

Robby22

Are you just spotting from the road side or was you thinking of shooting from the road side to?

I would say using a firearm on the roadside is illegal as you have a loaded weapon in public plus I think you cant discharge a gun with in 60 odd foot of carriage way I think anyway.

But just the lamp on its own im nit sure

Every time we go lamping we spot from the road and like you we stop lamping if other vehicles are about, which is hardly difficult at night as one can see their lights from miles away.

Personally I would speak with a senior officer at the police station to find out if it had been logged and if it had I would make a complaint as you were not lamping in the strict sense of the word but shining a light from the road into the adjacent fields and were not inconveniencing anyone or committing any offense.

If you are just spotting with the lamp then you are doing nothing wrong. Sounds like officer was up his own backside with an axe to grind

totally agree, make an official complaint. Personally I would have jumped down his throat with the comment about tempting to take a shot, Sometimes you have to push it as a serving friend told me there are "idiots" in all walks of life! Well actually it wasn't idiots but the swear filter and all that

Edited by kent

Every time we go lamping we spot from the road and like you we stop lamping if other vehicles are about, which is hardly difficult at night as one can see their lights from miles away.

Personally I would speak with a senior officer at the police station to find out if it had been logged and if it had I would make a complaint as you were not lamping in the strict sense of the word but shining a light from the road into the adjacent fields and were not inconveniencing anyone or committing any offense.

+1

Definitely make an official complaint. You weren't breaking any laws and he needs a fair bit more education as to what is and isn't legal. Just because he says it would be tempting to take a shot means ****** all, you weren't tempted to take a shot so that's that. His opinions count for nothing, he should be applying the law not his own personal feelings.

Discharing a firearm near a highway is only an offence if it is done within 50 feet of the centre of a highway (which must incorporate a carriageway) and in doing that you injure, intrerrupt or endanger a user of the highway. It must be actual injury, interruption or endangerment not just a liklihood of.

It is perfectly lawful to shoot even whilst standing in the centre of a highway as long as you have persmission to do it.

Highways Act 1980 section161(2)(b)

J.

Personally I would stop short of making a complaint.

A polite note to your FEO noting the conversation, setting out the facts as you see them and reinforcing the 'rifle in sleeve, bolt and magazine removed' good practice would be a good idea, in my opinion. The officer's recollection of your conversation will very probably be documented, it makes sense to get your side set out also.

Personally I would stop short of making a complaint.

A polite note to your FEO noting the conversation, setting out the facts as you see them and reinforcing the 'rifle in sleeve, bolt and magazine removed' good practice would be a good idea, in my opinion. The officer's recollection of your conversation will very probably be documented, it makes sense to get your side set out also.

Great, and they never make anything up do they - ask a chief whip! Why no official complaint? Politeness demands politeness, rude pomposity deserves investigation IMO. Please remember they serve us not oppress us

I doubt you will hear anything about it,after all what were you doing putting a beam of light across the fields something I have done loads of times when checking to see where my horses are,after all if I was parked outside a bank with my gun in the boot does that mean I am going to rob them.i would say he was just giving it large.

With rural crime as rife as it is, I would guess that most people living in the countryside would report a vehicle shining lights into a field from the road.

We have coursers spotting hares like this and some people have been reported shooting from the road.

I don't think the act is illegal , but its one of those things that probably best not to do if you can avoid it, as it will surely be misunderstood.

It's to cause a distraction to other users of the public highway that is illegal. Not just the shooting from the highway. You can quite legally stand on the road and discharge a firearm rifle or shotgun. So long as there is no distraction to other users caused by doing so.

REALLY!

I lamp from the side of a quite busy road and just stand a few yards in from the head land so I am over 50 feet....making sure I never shine along the roads edge...

Sitting in your truck on the hard standing and shining a lamp out the passenger side across the field is what the hare coursers do so if you were on the highway as sorts then he might have a point....

However the side swipe comment was uncalled for and I would ring and ask what he mentioned to be explained...

Don't sweat on his quip...

TEH

I would support Charlie T's view - go in an inquire mention that you were not shooting and section 161 (2) of the Highways Act 1980 and ask what were you doing that could be construed as wrong ?

I would be wary of shining a light from a highway to check for vermin. It isnt illegal or even dangerous unless there is significant traffic and it causes a distraction but its not an offence. I think the constable was just ignorant and thinking on his feet, so it may be wise to avoid a formal complaint and ask the sergeant on the desk if he could make sure the constable is set straight. If there is no report made by the constable I would stick with this but if a report has been made, read it and complain if any misrepresentation of the truth has been made.