Shotgun fox shooting

Hi folks, hope you all had a good Christmas so far :)

I have quite a lot of foxes on my permisision and managed to get within 30yds in the past, while i was shooting rabbits with the air rifle... obviously not the right tool for the job.

I have got my SGC and own shotguns now, so i'm tempted to give it a go. I've got few fox calls and made provisions of Gamebore Mammoth Magnum 50g BB

Any tips, anything i should know before i go out? What are the best times for calling in foxes? Which choke is best?

Thank you!

Pattern those heavy loads as they will preform very differently with different choke you can blow the pattern easily 1/4 often give good results.

At 30 yards normal game loads are fine for foxes any further I like 2,3, or 4s 36-40g or 1s if you really want.

I don't really like BBs personally pattern poorly and not many pellets 2&3s hold a better pattern and still kill foxes nicely.

Only things I can think of is not to use a tight choke (1/2 at most), pace out 40 yards to use as an absolute max range, and bear in mind that the shot does carry a lot more than No 6, so what is behind your target is even more relevant than usual. I use Eley Alphamax 42g BB for foxes

Always better to put them on the pattern plate / board. Even if you already have the shells, that way at least you know what not to try in the way of a shot and also were you gun is likely to shoot in relation to were your looking. Put the board up at 15 , 30, 45 yds try each.

I have had some cracking success with slightly lighter loads through 1/4 choke so don't go blindly down the more choke bigger shot route. Those big 3 1/2" super magnums in lead are not required and counter productive in a 12ga in my experience. 40-50 grm of number 1 or BB in a 3" for me

Often the best call is no call just be in the right place at the right time, if the foxes are heavily shot they soon become cautious of the call but then they can still come in like a sheepdog at others. There is no ultimate call and look out the fox will try and get downwind of a call and stalk in (many will never be seen) The shooter meanwhile is expecting them to come directly in with the wind up their rear :lol:

Always better to put them on the pattern plate / board. Even if you already have the shells, that way at least you know what not to try in the way of a shot and also were you gun is likely to shoot in relation to were your looking. Put the board up at 15 , 30, 45 yds try each.

I have had some cracking success with slightly lighter loads through 1/4 choke so don't go blindly down the more choke bigger shot route. Those big 3 1/2" super magnums in lead are not required and counter productive in a 12ga in my experience. 40-50 grm of number 1 or BB in a 3" for me

Often the best call is no call just be in the right place at the right time, if the foxes are heavily shot they soon become cautious of the call but then they can still come in like a sheepdog at others. There is no ultimate call and look out the fox will try and get downwind of a call and stalk in (many will never be seen) The shooter meanwhile is expecting them to come directly in with the wind up their rear :lol:

Thanks, great piece of advice here. Just for the record, I'm using 3'' shells

When I was living in Cornwall I was a member of the Looe Valley Beagles and the the guys used a few different shells most used 46g BB's in 2 3/4inch or 3inch magnums in AAA some of us also used 9 pellet SG although most if not all shots were between 10 and 30 yards with 40 yards as the max with the average choke of half being used one guy did use 3inch magnum AAA's through a turkey choke but not sure what his patterns were like but when he shot at a fox it usually didn't move again so that combo worked for him.

Again as the other posts suggest pick a cartridge and pastern it you will be surprised, for instance my mossy 835 will put all 9 pellets of SG in a 12inch circle at 25 yards through half choke past this the pastern opens up to much and past 35 Yards is a waste of time.

The picture (Taken a few years ago shows my daughter holding the dog fox) shows a fox shot at approximately 30 yards with SG crossing in front of me, notice the pellet hole in his nose.

post-23852-0-72968100-1388400835_thumb.jpg

Keep within sensible ranges and the BB`s will pattern fine. After BB the patterns get gappy and will require a good gun/choke/cart along with a good shot to put them in the right place at the right time.

I like 1`s - 3`s in suitable weights (36-50gm) for most shotgun shooting but for up a highseat I really like 3 1/2" buffered loads in US size 2 and tight choke.