country file

bullet1747

just been watching it and there is talk about letting the lynx run free in Britain , the reason is they can help with the culling of deer , can't see the game keepers being happy ,they recon a lynx will kill and eat 60 deer a year god knows how many pheasants and other game they will eat , mind you might be on licence in a few years lol

I've got an open mind on it at the moment, being a massive big cat fan. Scotland would have the only viable sites and I've got to say it would be an immense thrill to have them in the wild in this country. However 50 odd deer a year per animal is a heck of a lot. There are plenty of reds in scotland, but I can't imagine populations would stay high if there were lynx up there as well as the stalking. And if the stalking died out, the estates' infrastructure will start to collapse, then it's people's livelihoods at risk...

just been watching it and there is talk about letting the lynx run free in Britain , the reason is they can help with the culling of deer , can't see the game keepers being happy ,they recon a lynx will kill and eat 60 deer a year god knows how many pheasants and other game they will eat , mind you might be on licence in a few years lol

what ya sayin is you cant just train em to eat deer ven or am I bein fik

I don't doubt they could take a red as they are powerful animals and it is a great idea in an ideal world, but we don't have an ideal world. It will be very unlikely that they would attack humans but the bigger problem will be with taking livestock meaning farmers would have to have some sort of compensation scheme that would be very expensive to administrate and be open to fraudulent claims. I can't see it working in this country at all.

Edited by FalconFN

I don't doubt they could take a red as they are powerful animals and it is a great idea in an ideal world, but we don't have an ideal world. It will be very unlikely that they would attack humans but the bigger problem will be with taking livestock meaning farmers would have to have some sort of compensation scheme that would be very expensive to administrate and be open to fraudulent claims. I can't see it working in this country at all.

Spot on FN. The compensation system works well in Namibia with livestock taken by cheetahs, but there, cheetah numbers are relatively low - and available space for relocation, relatively high. So, if farmers get hit constantly by the same animals looking for easy food, it's more straightforward for organisations to step in and remove problem animals to areas where they can't do the same amount of damage. Here, you can't do that, so the same farmers will get hit again and again. and not be able to do anything about it. They're capable of taking adult reds, but they'd much prefer roes and they'd take the young and sick of anything kicking around. a natural balance of prey to predator would be set, so long as the pressure on the prey isn't too big, but with shooting and lynx, it might not work...

Edited by chrisjpainter

Just watched Countryfile (recorded) have Beeb had a change of management?? I now quite like Ellie - wasn't sure before but would like her in my stocking next Xmas. Or would like to be in her stockings and no I'm not a cross-dresser

Just watched Countryfile (recorded) have Beeb had a change of management?? I now quite like Ellie - wasn't sure before but would like her in my stocking next Xmas. Or would like to be in her stockings and no I'm not a cross-dresser

I've got an open mind on it at the moment, being a massive big cat fan. Scotland would have the only viable sites and I've got to say it would be an immense thrill to have them in the wild in this country. However 50 odd deer a year per animal is a heck of a lot. There are plenty of reds in scotland, but I can't imagine populations would stay high if there were lynx up there as well as the stalking. And if the stalking died out, the estates' infrastructure will start to collapse, then it's people's livelihoods at risk...

No sure they could take down a red. They talk about 50 roe. Big difference between the two. Who thinks a Lynx would discern between sheep and calves? :no:

All very good for those with a vested interest but whose going to take responsibility for the outcome?

John Craven was extolling the breeding and release programme for Red Kites. We've got loads of resident Kites and Buzzards now and a neighbouring shoot lost hundreds of birds this year because the Buzzards were perching on the release pens for days on end. This stressed the birds and kept them up one end of the pen away from the drinkers and feeders.

The Red Kites soaring the margins stressed Partridge coveys.

It's all very well villifying keepers but whose going to take responsibility for the damage caused by re-introductions?

There's already talk of releasing Wolves in the Highlands, I suppose Bears will be next. The world's gone mad I tell you :mad:

Can anybody give a case where non indigenous species introduced into this country has been of benefit? I suppose it could be said that pheasants haven't been a problem and some strains of king carp introduced by monks for food have not killed off the wild strain.

The list of species that have wreaked havoc is quite impressive! Here are just a few:

Grey squirrel

Signal crayfish

Mink (released from farms by well meaning morons)

Big toads (not sure what the proper name is)

Wild boar.

Reintroduced red kites which are breeding way too prolifically, putting a strain on shared food resources.

Releasing anything on the scale of a big cat is nothing short of lunacy!!

Edited by old rooster

Another case of thick do gooder tree huggers trying to bring back an animal that has long been gone to our shores & which our eco systerm can not surport. Will have the same problems as with the otters that have been put back in to rivers systerms that cant surport them as the poles & cormornts have eatting all the fish. Yes it's a shame these animals wolfs, otters, lynx etc have been lost due to huntting lost of habitat but that was along time gone & our eco systerm can no longer surport these animals I would love to see wolf & lynx in the wild but not at the cost of other animals. Time for another cider i think.

Can anybody give a case where non indigenous species introduced into this country has been of benefit? I suppose it could be said that pheasants haven't been a problem and some strains of king carp introduced by monks for food have not killed off the wild strain.

The list of species that have wreaked havoc is quite impressive! Here are just a few:

Grey squirrel

Signal crayfish

Mink (released from farms by well meaning morons)

Big toads (not sure what the proper name is)

Wild boar.

Reintroduced red kites which are breeding way too prolifically, putting a strain on shared food resources.

Releasing anything on the scale of a big cat is nothing short of lunacy!!

There is a difference between introducing a non native species and reintroducing one, the red kites are a reintroduction that will fit into the ecosystem once again - that is when they stop being artificially fed and they have to fend for themselves. Boar died out 100's of years ago when our landscape and land use was different but if managed properly they could fit in to our ecosystem again. The great bustard could also do well but anything else that has been extinct in this country for more than a few hundred years should not be reintroduced, the lynx hasn't been in Britain for thousands of years and would essentially be an alien species, as would wolves, elk etc. Lets manage what we have and not attempt to put the clock back to a time that cannot exist in modern Britain.

Edited by FalconFN