Roost shooting cancelled

woodfordpigeon

Wind wasn't too bad today for us. I got 7 plus 2 Magpies. My buddy and I were in a wood with smaller trees so pretty safe.

Six others were in the big wood but were careful about where they stood. We don't take H&S for granted and have due respect for the wind because during that terrible storm a couple of weeks ago we took shelter in that wood and had a near miss.

A split second after one of the beaters ducked behind one tree then another tree came down and crashed into the tree that he'd just ducked behind. He missed serious injury or even death by millimetres.

The way it is at the moment it's not just the strength of the wind that's a problem. It's also dangerous because the ground is so wet that it's become liquified and there's nothing for the tree roots to anchor into.

Wind wasn't too bad today for us. I got 7 plus 2 Magpies. My buddy and I were in a wood with smaller trees so pretty safe.

Six others were in the big wood but were careful about where they stood. We don't take H&S for granted and have due respect for the wind because during that terrible storm a couple of weeks ago we took shelter in that wood and had a near miss.

A split second after one of the beaters ducked behind one tree then another tree came down and crashed into the tree that he'd just ducked behind. He missed serious injury or even death by millimetres.

The way it is at the moment it's not just the strength of the wind that's a problem. It's also dangerous because the ground is so wet that it's become liquified and there's nothing for the tree roots to anchor into.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of when I cancelled the afternoons shooting. We had an insurance inspection two weeks ago .One of the big OAKS that passed the inspection Came down just missed a house.You only have to see the news to see the southwest is getting hit hard . Always another day to shoot the pigeons. woodfordpigeon

Decided to give it ago despite the weather. My chosen spot was a small gap with small trees in the centre. Birds flew over too quick and then swung round into other trees near by...I didnt have time to mount, swing and give the large lead required. Moved into a cluster of ivy covered trees and had much more luck luck with 12 pigeons for 21 cartridges. Every shot was pure instinctive and great sport.

Would have expected more pigeons but only heard a couple of other shots in other woods early in the evening....shame that more people did not get out....combination of the weather and rugby kept some folks in front of the telly I assume.