Swallow ? Im confident.

Fisherman Mike

Had to stop the car in a country lane just outside Cirencester earlier today to answer an urgent call of nature and was amazed to see what could only have been a swallow skimming low over a wild bird seed crop. didn't have any bins with me but I watched it for a good twenty minutes before it climbed high over woodland and disappeared.

I've seen them late March but never this early before. There are reports every other year or so of a few individuals overwintering in the far south of the country so I can only imagine it was one of these which has managed to find sufficient food to survive unless its a really early arrival.

I took a picture on the mobile but it doesn't show up.... but 45 + years a birder I would put everything I own on the identification being correct...I cant see what else it could have been other than a swallow. :yes:

Incidentally there were a lot of wood pigeons dropping into the field as well even though it is totally surrounded by rape. :/

Mike if anyone else had said this I might be a little sceptical, but you know your birds. Good spot. And where were these mythical pigeons of which you speak? That I find a bit harder to accept! :lol:

It was the field behind the White Horse just before Chapmans Cross I was driving down the Aston Down road towards Cherington...I think it might even be Bathurst land ...but sadly they wouldn't want us shooting over the wild bird mix. so we are stuffed !

Does anyone else remember that legendary thread where some nugget was "outraged" because he'd seen someone having a whizz by the roadside? You should be careful Mike :lol: Though I seem to recall he let slip the real reason he was outraged was because the whizzee was a "Muslim", though he didn't tell us how he knew this. You might be alright after all Mike, normal for Glawstershire royalty like yourself!

It was the field behind the White Horse just before Chapmans Cross I was driving down the Aston Down road towards Cherington...I think it might even be Bathurst land ...but sadly they wouldn't want us shooting over the wild bird mix. so we are stuffed !

Wow, close to home! I might have to have a recce on Friday.

Does anyone else remember that legendary thread where some nugget was "outraged" because he'd seen someone having a whizz by the roadside? You should be careful Mike :lol: Though I seem to recall he let slip the real reason he was outraged was because the whizzee was a "Muslim", though he didn't tell us how he knew this. You might be alright after all Mike, normal for Glawstershire royalty like yourself!

Wow, close to home! I might have to have a recce on Friday.

Check out the rape field just before the Chapmans cross turn to Bisley on the right...there were one or two showing some interest a week ago but none of its seems to have been touched much this year....They all seem to be breeding already around here especially in the gardens.

Mike I did 27 miles on my mountain bike on Saturday, via Nailsworth, Horsely, Tetbury, Cherington, Tarlton, Rodmarton etc. I barely saw a pigeon and the rape was untouched everywhere.

Yep numbers definitely down in many areas as also opined by several BTO members I correspond with.

I think the last couple of hard winters have taken their toll with breeding success rates down...perhaps more than we realise.

Will bounce back though

Yep numbers definitely down in many areas as also opined by several BTO members I correspond with.

I think the last couple of hard winters have taken their toll with breeding success rates down...perhaps more than we realise.

Will bounce back though

down our way the pigeons have taken a big hit this winter dieing en mass from eating too much beech mast :(

Had to stop the car in a country lane just outside Cirencester earlier today to answer an urgent call of nature and was amazed to see what could only have been a swallow skimming low over a wild bird seed crop. didn't have any bins with me but I watched it for a good twenty minutes before it climbed high over woodland and disappeared.

I've seen them late March but never this early before. There are reports every other year or so of a few individuals overwintering in the far south of the country so I can only imagine it was one of these which has managed to find sufficient food to survive unless its a really early arrival.

I took a picture on the mobile but it doesn't show up.... but 45 + years a birder I would put everything I own on the identification being correct...I cant see what else it could have been other than a swallow. :yes:

Incidentally there were a lot of wood pigeons dropping into the field as well even though it is totally surrounded by rape. :/

Maybe it saw the bait Mike?